• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Controlling the Rudder of an AI object in flight

Country
italy
Dear all,

I'm struggling trying to achieve what appears a simple task. I've written a Simconnect application that creates AI airplanes and flies them around for formation flight, after releasing them from AI control. I control the aileron, elevator and rudder of said AI objects, but I have this very strange issue.

On ground, everything works perfectly, and I can obtain the desired effect, but in flight I lose the ability to control the rudder of the AI object, while ailerons and elevators are still controlled. What happens instead is that in some way the simulator regains control of the rudder, deflecting it as a function of (it appears) the sideslip angle, saturating at -0.5 and 0.5 (while on ground it can move from -1 to 1). In the end, it sometimes happens that the rudder is completely deflected, while the AI object is flying in a straight line. I have tried setting the rudder using both variables and events, and while everything works on ground, I always lose control in flight, even with events like "RUDDER_CENTER".

Has anyone ever encountered a similar issue? Do you have any idea of what may be the problem?

Kind regards,

Davide

Country
us-massachusetts
Hmm I wonder if the AI planes either have the default yaw damper or auto-coordinate engaged. Try explicitly disengaging these two features, using (A:AUTO COORDINATION, bool) and (A:AUTOPILOT YAW DAMPER, bool). My current guess is that auto coordination defaults to on for AI objects.

Farley

Country
italy
Hmm I wonder if the AI planes either have the default yaw damper or auto-coordinate engaged. Try explicitly disengaging these two features, using (A:AUTO COORDINATION, bool) and (A:AUTOPILOT YAW DAMPER, bool). My current guess is that auto coordination defaults to on for AI objects.

Farley
You are indeed correct, it appears that the auto coordination of AI aircraft is turned on. I tried disabling it both with the associated event and by setting the variable via SimConnect, but it does not appear to change, i.e. it is still active!

Davide