• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX:SE Can I use the SDK Tools/Addons with FSX:SE?

Country
mexico
facepalm I..... didn't. Alright, I deleted the entries, now I'm going to delete and reinstall the SDK again.

Country
mexico
Okey, I removed the entries in FSX.cfg, then I reinstalled the SDK, and this time it asked me for permission to use the modules. However, there is still nothing in-game. I'm afraid to touch the dll.xml files right now but I'll take a peek at them. I'm pretty sure they have the correct file paths.

Country
mexico
This FSX is not cooperative. Several times already, I've done exactly what those posts and multiple other posts are instructing me to do, but it never works. Twice already I've been asked if I want to run the .dll files upon boot which leads me to believe they work, however upon loading FSX nothing appears.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
What do you mean by nothing appears... what are you expecting to appear?

Country
unitedstates
I think they show up under the ADDONS heading on the toolbar. The one at the top of the screen when you're flying. Or that appears if press alt while flying. They aren't separate entries on the toolbar.

I don't mean any insult, just making sure...
Pat☺

Country
switzerland
My Impression is that the OP is scared to Change any definitions for FSX. My Suggestion is to download "SIMconfigBackup" from here:

https://aviation.pero-online.de/wordpress/?page_id=551

Create a backup of all the FSX configuration files everytime before he is going to Change something! This will give him, from the perspective of psychology, a more secure Feeling always being capable to revert to the previous state!

Thats what Im doing for years now and it has helped me many times! I also do this before I install a new addon or scenery!

Edit:

I found meanwhile also a Video desribing the functionality of "SIMconfigBackup":

End-Edit:

Kind regards from Switzerland

Conrad

Last edited:
Country
mexico
Hello...

Can you show what the fsx.cfg shows now?

I was actually looking at it right now, specifically the 'TRUSTED" addons. Scrolling down, I see that all my panels/gauges for my add-on aircraft end with =2. The SDK tools do appear on the list as well, but they end in =1. Might this be the problem? (Once or twice the dialog box popped up and I enabled them)

Country
unitedstates
Possible, but unlikely, IMO. Why? All my .DLL and .GAU entries end in a 1, with some of the .gau files ending in =0. All the "normal" FSX XML gauges and devices end in =2.
All that in MY FSX.CFG file.

That's why I say unlikely. If they're that way in mine, and work fine for me in my system, I don't believe that it has anything to do with your situation, see? Si... :rotfl:

Still trying to think, which isn't easy for me o_O, of a possible solution to your situation. Haven't gotten any brainstorms lately. Not even a light idea-rain, or thought-fog...:laughing:

Still hoping someone can come up with an idea I haven't been able to work out yet.
Pat☺

Country
switzerland
My suggestions is to post your FSX.cfg, DLL.xml and EXE.xml here on this Forum, so someone can have a look at the definitions, otherwise it will be difficult just by guessing to determine the Problem!
I have been an IT-professional for 48 years and experience showed most of the times, that the real Problem sit's in front of the Computer. It happened sometimes also to me!

Edit:
I have included my excerpt from DLL.xml although I run Prepar3D V1.4, I have my SDK not installed into the Flightsimulator-path. Everything runs fine on my System!
Code:
   <Launch.Addon>
        <Name>Traffic Toolbox</Name>
        <Disabled>False</Disabled>
        <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
        <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D SDK 1.4.4747.0\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>
    </Launch.Addon>
    <Launch.Addon>
        <Name>Object Placement Tool</Name>
        <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D SDK 1.4.4747.0\Mission Creation Kit\Object_Placement.dll</Path>
    </Launch.Addon>

It has been mentioned several times on this thread that you should download the Prepar3D SDK 1.4.4747.0 from this site and install that one. It is not obvious to us if you have followed those suggestions!
End-Edit:

Last edited:
Country
mexico
My suggestions is to post your FSX.cfg, DLL.xml and EXE.xml here on this Forum, so someone can have a look at the definitions, otherwise it will be difficult just by guessing to determine the Problem!

Alright....... link to .cfg, dll.xml and exe.xml

(I made a few graphic modificiations onto the cfg but I haven't even touched the exe)

It has been mentioned several times on this thread that you should download the Prepar3D SDK 1.4.4747.0 from this site and install that one. It is not obvious to us if you have followed those suggestions!

I did install that SDK, however nothing has changed.

Country
switzerland
Looking at you configuration files, I could not find any Errors, strange so far. Everything looks okay from the distance, although I dont know FSX-SE. I would suggest you the following proceeding:
  1. Install SimConfigBackup from the link I described somewhere above, if not done already so.
  2. Backup all your configuration files with SimConfigBackup, carefully checking that you catch all the files as desribed on the Website of SimConfigBackup (by Peter Rosendahl).
  3. Create a copy of "FSX.cfg" just to be 100% certain and save this copy.
  4. Delete "FSX.cfg".
  5. Start FSX-SE, this will create a new "FSX.cfg". You will have to confirm again all Gauges and Modules, but this is worth the Trial.
  6. See now what happens, you should see and have in the Menu-bar of FSX-SE an Menu-Option "Addons" click on that and see if you see the Modules from the SDK.
If not, then it will be impossible to determine your Problem from the distance, something is strange in that case and has to do something with your Setup somewhere!

Country
mexico
Looking at you configuration files, I could not find any Errors, strange so far. Everything looks okay from the distance, although I dont know FSX-SE. I would suggest you the following proceeding:
  1. Install SimConfigBackup from the link I described somewhere above, if not done already so.
  2. Backup all your configuration files with SimConfigBackup, carefully checking that you catch all the files as desribed on the Website of SimConfigBackup (by Peter Rosendahl).
  3. Create a copy of "FSX.cfg" just to be 100% certain and save this copy.
  4. Delete "FSX.cfg".
  5. Start FSX-SE, this will create a new "FSX.cfg". You will have to confirm again all Gauges and Modules, but this is worth the Trial.
  6. See now what happens, you should see and have in the Menu-bar of FSX-SE an Menu-Option "Addons" click on that and see if you see the Modules from the SDK.
If not, then it will be impossible to determine your Problem from the distance, something is strange in that case and has to do something with your Setup somewhere!

Alright.... this is getting really wonky. I (backed-up and) deleted my .cfg and FSX made a new one for me. Upon bootup I had to allow the modules to run. That was a hopeful sign. Also, when the menu opened the MUSIC also started (it never does nowadays), plus an informational sign showing off a few cool things about the SDK. That was a VERY hopeful sign. However, booting up into the actual flight mode, there was still NOTHING THERE. I rebooted several times (losing the informational sign in the process) but they still didn't show up.

Country
unitedstates
Ok, here goes nothing...

Remember to always make a back-up copy before you edit, or change, any of these files!
Also, ONLY ever use NotePad, which comes with Windoze, or NotePad++, a freeware which works very nicely for this sort of thing. ANY other program could add symbols you can't see that would mess the file up badly.

Only make ONE change at a time, then save the .cfg file off, and start FSX to check out the effect of the change.
Ensure FSX is completely and totally closed before you open the FSX.CFG file for editing.

Just a little side note: I went in and separated each heading's entries from the next heading by putting a CR (carriage return, or enter key stroke) between. Like this:
[Heading_one]
line=one
line=two
line=etc

[Heading_two]
line=one
line=two
line=etc

That makes it easier, for me, to locate each heading as I look for them. They're not all crowded one atop the next this way, which, for me, makes it harder to separate them out.

Here we go! :yikes:
In your FSX.cfg file try these:
First, try changing the following line under the heading
[Main]
HideMenuFullscreen=1

to
HideMenuFullscreen=0

It's the last entry under that heading, just before the heading [PANELS}.

Save it off, and try it. Change nothing else whatsoever. Go into a flight, and see what's shown under Addons up on the menu bar, while flying.

Another little detail that may be causing troubles:
You have 3 headings labeled
[DISPLAY.Device.NVidea etc etc etc]
Comment out the SECOND and THIRD entries. Leave the first one alone. You can either put the comment indicator in front of the two or three lines concerned, like this
//[DISPLAY.Device.

OR you can delete them entirely. That means the heading and the two or three lines under each one, before the next heading shows up.
Having more than one of those headings per file can cause some interesting effects, none of which are desirable.

Another little detail that may, or may not, have anything to do with your main trouble, but which you'll probably want to correct eventually:
Under the heading
[Display]
change the line
WideViewAspect=False
to
WideViewAspect=True

Last, but certainly not least:
Under the heading
[GRAPHICS]
ADD the line
HIGHMEMFIX=1

This is very important. Don't skip this!

I honestly don't know that any of these changes will have any effect on your original difficulty, but they need to be made, eventually. This is as good a time as any ;)
Let us know how "things" turn out!
Pat☺

Country
mexico
Ok, here goes nothing...

Remember to always make a back-up copy before you edit, or change, any of these files!
Also, ONLY ever use NotePad, which comes with Windoze, or NotePad++, a freeware which works very nicely for this sort of thing. ANY other program could add symbols you can't see that would mess the file up badly.

Only make ONE change at a time, then save the .cfg file off, and start FSX to check out the effect of the change.
Ensure FSX is completely and totally closed before you open the FSX.CFG file for editing.

Just a little side note: I went in and separated each heading's entries from the next heading by putting a CR (carriage return, or enter key stroke) between. Like this:
[Heading_one]
line=one
line=two
line=etc

[Heading_two]
line=one
line=two
line=etc

That makes it easier, for me, to locate each heading as I look for them. They're not all crowded one atop the next this way, which, for me, makes it harder to separate them out.

Here we go! :yikes:
In your FSX.cfg file try these:
First, try changing the following line under the heading
[Main]
HideMenuFullscreen=1

to
HideMenuFullscreen=0

It's the last entry under that heading, just before the heading [PANELS}.

Save it off, and try it. Change nothing else whatsoever. Go into a flight, and see what's shown under Addons up on the menu bar, while flying.

Another little detail that may be causing troubles:
You have 3 headings labeled
[DISPLAY.Device.NVidea etc etc etc]
Comment out the SECOND and THIRD entries. Leave the first one alone. You can either put the comment indicator in front of the two or three lines concerned, like this
//[DISPLAY.Device.

OR you can delete them entirely. That means the heading and the two or three lines under each one, before the next heading shows up.
Having more than one of those headings per file can cause some interesting effects, none of which are desirable.

Another little detail that may, or may not, have anything to do with your main trouble, but which you'll probably want to correct eventually:
Under the heading
[Display]
change the line
WideViewAspect=False
to
WideViewAspect=True

Last, but certainly not least:
Under the heading
[GRAPHICS]
ADD the line
HIGHMEMFIX=1

This is very important. Don't skip this!

I honestly don't know that any of these changes will have any effect on your original difficulty, but they need to be made, eventually. This is as good a time as any ;)
Let us know how "things" turn out!
Pat☺

(sorry for the late reply, I've been really busy lately)

I thank you very much for your help. Unfortunately, none of that worked. :(

At this point, I don't know what else to do. I think I'll just stick with MCX now.

Country
netherlands
Hi Robert:

A quick Google search does not seem to turn up any definitive evidence that the (somewhat) unique coding of *.EXE and *.DLL files in FSX_ Steam Edition are fully compatible with SDK Object Placement Tool (aka "OPT").

IMHO, by the time you and any would-be helpers research and troubleshoot attempts to use either the FSX Deluxe or P3Dv1.4x SDK OPT with FSX: Steam Edition, it would have been a more satisfactory expenditure of time and would result in far more stable and full-featured functionality for you to have paid the mere $ 30 US
that it costs to purchase Instant Scenery version 3.x ...as has been recommended to you previously:

https://www.google.com/search?ei=tyP4W4CFJsKm_QaMnruoCQ&q=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+GaryGB+Robertium+Instant+Scenery&oq=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+GaryGB+Robertium+Instant+Scenery&gs_l=psy-ab.12...12456.16132..18358...0.0..0.87.1244.16......0....1..gws-wiz.SgKauzxMroA

IS3 works with FS9, FSX Deluxe / Acceleration / Gold / FSX: Steam Editions, as well as with P3D v 1.4x. / 2.x / 3.x.

https://www.simforums.com/forums/instant-scenery-3-instant-object-with-fsxse_topic53175.html

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=iscen3

GaryGB

I wish somebody could help me out here:
I have WIN10 FSX SE on C:\SSD 500G
I bought flight1 Instant Scenery 3 For 2 weeks I've been trying to get installed into FSX SE menu but no luck sofar.
- Right click the Installer, let it install by default in VC;\ProgramFiles(X86)
- Run the installer module, both path's to my FS9 and FSX are taken from registry and both are correct.
- In FS9 it works perfect
- But when I start FSX SE I get the 'incompatible message' with the 'run once' 'check online' etc. options.
- All steps ultimately end in FSX SE crash.

I've searched and searched (almost) every available post on this subject on all Sim.sites.
I've tried and copied many solutions into my setup.
- click check online
- copying XML.DLL from \Name\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft FSX SE to FSX
- Copied XML.DLL content from other posters (I have no add-ons that require an extra item in FSX menu)
(Instant Scenery is the first one I try)
-----------------------------------------------------------
My Istant Scenery error log from today:

2020-07-05 15:24:29.599 C:\Users\Peter Bootes\AppData\Roaming\Flight1\Instant Scenery\OnlineVersionUpdate.dat
2020-07-05 15:24:29.599 data9=1
2020-07-05 15:24:49.874 C:\Users\Peter Bootes\AppData\Roaming\Flight1\Instant Scenery\OnlineVersionUpdate.dat
2020-07-05 15:24:49.875 data9=1
2020-07-05 15:25:07.379 C:\Users\Peter Bootes\AppData\Roaming\Flight1\Instant Scenery\OnlineVersionUpdate.dat
2020-07-05 15:25:07.380 data9=1
2020-07-05 15:25:13.309 FSX directory: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX
2020-07-05 15:25:13.310 FSX version: 10.0.63003.0
2020-07-05 15:25:13.311 C:\Users\Peter Bootes\AppData\Roaming\Flight1\Instant Scenery\OnlineVersionUpdate.dat
2020-07-05 15:25:13.311 data9=1
2020-07-05 15:25:13.311 h=EBF70000 EC500000 EC608850 EBFB4A70 EC2F0000 EC2FEDC0 EC1D0000 EC271520 EC282530 101 6BBE3678 EB36A190

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my DLL.XML

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
<Descr>Launch</Descr>
<Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
<Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Instant Scenery</Name>
<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Instant Scenery 3\InstantSceneryFSX.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some posts suggested changing changing: <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad> into <ManualLoad>Enabled</ManualLoad>
Did this but to no effect. I just want to add some simple Default FSX objects ( fence, barn, people etc) into smaller FSX airports.
Moneywise only this year I was able to update to FSX SE so I realise I'm a bit behind affairs.

Country
us-illinois
I wish somebody could help me out here:
I have WIN10 FSX SE on C:\SSD 500G

I bought flight1 Instant Scenery 3.

For 2 weeks I've been trying to get installed into FSX SE menu but no luck so far.
- Right click the Installer, let it install by default in C:\ProgramFiles(X86)
- Run the installer module, both path's to my FS9 and FSX are taken from registry and both are correct.
- In FS9 it works perfect
- But when I start FSX SE I get the 'incompatible message' with the 'run once' 'check online' etc. options.
- All steps ultimately end in FSX SE crash.

I've searched and searched (almost) every available post on this subject on all Sim.sites.

I've tried and copied many solutions into my setup.
- click check online
- copying DLL.XML from \Name\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft FSX SE to FSX
- Copied DLL.XML content from other posters (I have no add-ons that require an extra item in FSX menu)
(Instant Scenery is the first one I try)
-----------------------------------------------------------
My Instant Scenery error log from today:

2020-07-05 15:24:29.599 C:\Users\Peter Bootes\AppData\Roaming\Flight1\Instant Scenery\OnlineVersionUpdate.dat
2020-07-05 15:24:29.599 data9=1
2020-07-05 15:24:49.874 C:\Users\Peter Bootes\AppData\Roaming\Flight1\Instant Scenery\OnlineVersionUpdate.dat
2020-07-05 15:24:49.875 data9=1
2020-07-05 15:25:07.379 C:\Users\Peter Bootes\AppData\Roaming\Flight1\Instant Scenery\OnlineVersionUpdate.dat
2020-07-05 15:25:07.380 data9=1
2020-07-05 15:25:13.309 FSX directory: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX
2020-07-05 15:25:13.310 FSX version: 10.0.63003.0
2020-07-05 15:25:13.311 C:\Users\Peter Bootes\AppData\Roaming\Flight1\Instant Scenery\OnlineVersionUpdate.dat
2020-07-05 15:25:13.311 data9=1
2020-07-05 15:25:13.311 h=EBF70000 EC500000 EC608850 EBFB4A70 EC2F0000 EC2FEDC0 EC1D0000 EC271520 EC282530 101 6BBE3678 EB36A190

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my DLL.XML

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
<Descr>Launch</Descr>
<Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
<Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Instant Scenery</Name>
<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Instant Scenery 3\InstantSceneryFSX.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some posts suggested changing changing: <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad> into <ManualLoad>Enabled</ManualLoad>
Did this but to no effect. I just want to add some simple Default FSX objects ( fence, barn, people etc) into smaller FSX airports.
Money wise only this year I was able to update to FSX SE so I realize I'm a bit behind affairs.

Hi Peter:

Did you mean that you updated from FS9 to FSX, or from FSX_DVD to FSX_SE ? :scratchch

FYI: Your efforts thus far have been thorough, and it may be best at this point to clarify a few other things, so I shall await your reply to these questions.

* Did you run the Installer for IS3 with an Administrative permission level in Windows (aka Right-click IS3 'ModuleInstaller.exe' > "Run As Administrator") ?

* Did you attempt to run IS3 in a pre-existing FSX-DVD installation as well as in a FSX_SE installation without first un-installing IS3 from FSX_DVD version ?

BTW: Your DLL.XML is set up correctly for IS3 (...although your reply to my latter question above may require a path edit in your DLL.XML file).

GaryGB

Country
scotland
Hi Folks

- copying XML.DLL from \Name\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft FSX SE to FSX
ubotes
You're editing the wrong dll.xml

dll.xml

The version in FSX root folder is only a TEMPLATE used for repairing FSX.
The various versions in the SDK folders are only EXAMPLES for you to manually copy.
The only version that FSX reads is that from your roaming profile

Please see the FS Developer - Wiki - SDK Installation (FSX) - Troubleshooting
Particularly the sections titled Configuration and FSX in-game Tools menu

Start with a clean dll.xml
ensure the 3 FSX SDK default tools are fully functioning

before
you incorporate any entries for ADDONS

HTH
ATB
Paul