• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 P3D V4.X SDK in 3DS Max 9 - is it possible?

A

Aviasim

Hi,

I'm getting frustrated when I think why LM decided to stop supporting Max 9, in their very latest V4.5 SDK manual it clearly states that it's compatible with all max versions down to Max 7.
2019-04-16 21_00_03-www.prepar3d.com_SDKv4_LearningCenter.php.png

It clearly states Max 9 but the V4.5 will only allow me to choose as early as 32-bit Max 2012 - so, if it's possible how do I set up my Max 9 to WORK with V4.5 SDK? I tried setting up to the Max 2012 64 bit folder but it did not work at all so I'm at a loss if it even does work and why LM would still say it does if it don't?! pretty annoying to be honest.

Greatly appreciate any input - I've come to ask this as I am sick and tired of exporting out of Max 9 to open in other software like MCX to make changes then exporting again, very slow and poor feeling workflow.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Support for Max earlier than 2012 was dropped some time ago. I doubt LM or anyone keeps the Max sdks for these versions any more since they would need Win7 or even Vista for them.

A

Aviasim

Support for Max earlier than 2012 was dropped some time ago. I doubt LM or anyone keeps the Max sdks for these versions any more since they would need Win7 or even Vista for them.

Oh, Right.

Let's see how long it takes them to remove it out of their V4.5 SDK manual then.... seems more like a collab between Autodesk and LM if you ask me - forcing you to use the versions in which they use perpetual licenses....rip-off in other words.

Never mind, thanks for the answer any way.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I doubt Autodesk cares much about P3D in particular, their customer base is much broader than that. I also doubt if they feel any need to support Win7 products any more since moving to the subscription model. Vista and XP are lost causes to them, commercial decisions are necessarily hard-nosed.

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
If you want to use PBR textures, forget Max 2012 because Prepar3D SDK don't support it since the v4.4: you can configure 3DS with SDK v4.4 for Max 2012 but when you select PBR Texture choice a error happens during the init of the function.

Answer of LM: PBR use DirectX 12 and Max 2102 can't support this DirectX.
If it is wright so for that reason include plugins for this version in SDK v4.4 ... I have not understand.

Country
us-arizona
On the bright side, there is a sale, 20% off, at Autodesk.

I am running Max 2014. So glad I got it when I did. I guess now its subscription only. But at least its in payments. Couldnt do that back in the day. Thats a ton of money for a design program. But man, what a fantastic program it is... So many amazing tools. So glad I got it.

D

Deleted member 1281

Using one of the older, now obsolete, Maxs, wouldn't it be possible to compile an FSX-type mdl, then throw it at MdlConverter, do the Material editor thing for PBR's, and recompile using the V4.nn SDK?