• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

repeating textures

Country
germany
Hi, I have another texturing question: I understand that I need to bake a texture in Blender if I want to export it into a collada file so I can load it into MCX, I successfully did so with a few models. But what if I want to use a repeating texture? Let´s say I create a fence 1 metre high but 100 metres long. In Blender I can apply a 1024x1024 pixel texture to the fence and have it being repeated 100 times in the y but only 1 time in the x direction. Within Blender this looks fine:

screen1 Kopie.jpg

But when I want to export this object, I need to bake the texture to a blank 1024x1024 image, it looks like this in MCX:
screen2.jpg

It seems the texture is no longer repeated but stretched across the whole length of the fence. Is there any way to fix this? I wanted to attach the blender file, but the uploader doesn´t seem to allow for .blend extensions

Thanks and best regards,

Fabian

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Why do you need to bake the texture? Just keep it tiled. That should work. Just keep in mind that the 100x repetition must be done in the UV map itself, not via the mapping section of the texture panel.
Also if you like to attach the .blend file just put it into a zip and you're fine.

Last edited:
Country
germany
Whenever I try to use a texture without baking it doesn´t show up in the converted collada file I load into MCX. I was told that all the textures need to be baked before exporting on this forum. Could you show me how to do the repetition within the UV map? I´m pretty new to Blender and never worked with UV maps before, I understand how they work in general, but don´t really know which special considerations I have to take into account while texturing (I only used an old Sketchup version before where texturing was done directly on the faces of the model and where could just adjust the size of the texture accordingly). I´m uploading the blender file for you to check it out. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• testcube.zip
    359.3 KB · Views: 127

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I just had a look at the .blend file, sadly the original fence texture isn't included.

First of all:
For exporting I can't recommend using cycles. Use Blender Render instead.

Getting a repeating texture via UV is as simple: just drag the UV vertices beyond the texture sheet and the texture repeats. I your case the best is selecting everything and scaling it 100x along the according axis.

By the way you would do yourself a favor by not modeling the fence as a scaled cube but just add a solidify modifier to a vertical plane defining the thickness.
That way you will only have one face to be mapped and there is not really a point in mapping a 2cm thick rim face anyway.

Last edited:
Country
germany
Dave, thank you a thousand times, I finally understood how the whole UV mapping actually works, you probably saved me countless hours for texturing in the future. I actually created the fence using a solidify modifier, but I didn´t know that you could unwrap and texture it before actually applying the modifier. Thanks for that, too. I see I still got lots of things to learn