• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

1938 Aeronca K Project Update

Country
unitedstates
It's been quite some time since I posted any updates on my learn-as-I-go project. There have been many hurdles, headaches, and frustrations along the way as I get to know the many idiosyncrasy of Gmax. One day at a time, save often.

The next phase is mapping and textures.
f3yg.png

ytkp.png

za3z.png

Thanks to all who have helped me along as I struggled to get this far.
This flights not over yet. :p

For those interested, more images throughout the project can be seen here. http://sdrv.ms/XN9wDk

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Wow!

Hard to believe that this is all still unmapped!

P.S: There is a nice tutorial about UVW mapping and unwrapping in the wiki. Well worth checking out!

Country
unitedstates
Is that "wow" why is it not mapped and textured, or wow it looks good? I can't tell. LOL!!

I suppose. But mapping it as I go, I felt would hinder my goal of being as perfected (modeling wise) as possible. My resource contacts have been great assets to my endeavor as I grew with the modeling portions. Some resource materials just trickled in. So, as frustrating as it was not being able to continue like I wanted too, I used this time to refine the models shape throughout. In fact, I've remade some parts half a dozen times before I was happy with the end results. This also included refining and cleaning unnecessary vertice and making sure they were all welded to avoid shading anomalies. Quite the process.

Right now I'm real close to begin mapping. I'm basically trying to eliminate any possible problems prior too. The texture templates have been ready for months now.

Last edited:

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
This looks really good! Hope to see the final result, but don't stress please!
Keep this going like you have done it already!

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Is that "wow" why is it not mapped and textured, or wow it looks good? I can't tell. LOL!!

The positive variant. ;)

Right now I'm real close to begin mapping. I'm basically trying to eliminate any possible problems prior too. The texture templates have been ready for months now.

That's the way to go. Having to re-map parts is a PITA bar none, especially in GMax.

Country
unitedstates
This looks really good! Hope to see the final result, but don't stress please!
Keep this going like you have done it already!
I'm hopeful to get this project done sometime this winter.

The positive variant. ;)
That's the way to go. Having to re-map parts is a PITA bar none, especially in GMax.

I figured. Right now work is very busy. I don't know when I can actually focus on the project. A month maybe. I will get back to it eventually.

I've been studying the mapping tutorials.

Country
england
I remember making one of those engines for FSX :) or at least a UK licence built JAP version...

This one's been sitting waiting to be finished off for years now:

lmrt3.jpg

Country
unitedstates
Hi Paul. It's been a while.

I remember you showing images of that plane about two years ago if I recall correctly. The Lutton Minor. It's a nifty high wing.

You must be busy to have not released it. Was looking forward to it. It doesn't appear to need much. Or does it?

I always enjoyed your work. I hope to see a continuance. :)

Country
england
With winter approaching I think it's time to get back to working on the luton.

I've actually been busy making lots of model aircraft that can be 3D printed
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/decapod?section=Aircraft&s=0

What stopped me with the Luton was the fuel gauge.
I was trying to simulate fuel level in a pipe using alpha to darken the pipe so you could still see the gauge marks behind it.
I couldn't get the masking to work properly.

Looking forward to seeing the Aeronca in FSX, lovely model.

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Winter time I focus on the hobby more myself.

I heard about the process your displaying and looked at some images quite some time back. The model is being used as a die, or plug to shape the plastic model. Basically anything created in the modeling program can be re-created by the process. A nifty way to physically bring the modeling efforts to life with more of a hands-on interactivity.

The fuel gauge (when I saw one) you mention got me to thinking of "how" this could be done too.
Four cylinders. One for the glass exterior, one for the interior to show thickness of glass, another cut in half or one third for the gauge markings, and another for the look of simulated fuel. Different colors, different alphas? Thinking out loud. Just thoughts jostled about my head. I've only been modeling in Gmax for about a year. The K is my first project. Lots to learn (like mapping) but I'm always thinking. Or frustrated :p

My free time for working on my model this weekend was disrupted by high winds, lightning, torrential rains and power outages. Maybe next weekend.

Last edited: