FSX 2002 Groundpolys disappearing

Horst18519

Staff member
Resource contributor
I think I'm missing something, looks like I get older and keep forgetting things... :eek:

I tweaked the groundpoly for my new scenery project like usual, the important asm lines:
Code:
OBJECT_0_START label word
    IFIN1       OBJECT_0_FAIL, image_complex, 2, 32767
    ADDCAT OBJECT_0_SCALE, 8
The poly is divided into a 100mx100m cluster and I also use a flatten on the airport, so everything should be fine.
Still the groundpoly is disappearing as you get closer to it/to the ground.

I'm sure the issue is not new and there's something I forgot, but I can't find any hint what that might be and how to solve the issue. :confused:

Horst18519

Staff member
Resource contributor
OMG, I'm getting older! :banghead: :laughing:

I placed the poly at 0/0/-1 to adjust it on the zero axis - simply forgot to move it back to altitude 0.

Well, problem solved! :D

Hello,

having this problem too.

I am quite sure that the plane is level on 0 on Z axis, but it keeps flickering.
The object as it is is a plane by the size of almost 5*2 kilometers, adjusted in size so that it fits the resolution of base data, with 5120*2048 pixels divided in 1024*1024 blocks, IIRC working out to about 1.2px/m. As it is, it works out to extend from the single runway about 1km to each side.

My working method to make the model was to make a plane of required size, divide it to 5 length and 2 width sections, convert to editable mesh, and texture each face with respective texture (orto0 through orto9). The plane is rotated so that gmax reference is to the true north. I export the plane using fs2002 SDK and patch the asm as described in Bill Womacks tutorial, using layer 8 for the background.

The runway and taxiway looks good though, only difference being I did not texture every face by itself, can this be the problem? Should I divide the base so it is ten objects?

I also tried rising the levels by 4, base being 12, runway 16, with same results.

Horst18519

Staff member
Resource contributor
Don't forget to divide the tiles into ploys not bigger than 100m because of the curved earth (FSX). You can use Arnos MCX for this.

So I tried MCX in conversion of a mdl exported by 2004 gamepack, and it does not show at all (exported as 2004 and X poly).

Back to the drawing board...

Horst18519

Staff member
Resource contributor
Not sure how exactly you did it, but I usually do it this way: export an X file from GMax/Max. Compile X file into bgl with fs2002 mdlmaker. Open bgl in the MCX ground wizard tool. It saves a new layered bgl file that should work perfectly.

Horst18519

Staff member
Resource contributor
Still waiting for some material, but there are lots of other projects that require my (night)time. ;)