• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX 2002 Groundpolys disappearing

Horst18519

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I think I'm missing something, looks like I get older and keep forgetting things... :eek:

I tweaked the groundpoly for my new scenery project like usual, the important asm lines:
Code:
OBJECT_0_START label word
    IFIN1       OBJECT_0_FAIL, image_complex, 2, 32767
    ADDCAT OBJECT_0_SCALE, 8

The poly is divided into a 100mx100m cluster and I also use a flatten on the airport, so everything should be fine.
Still the groundpoly is disappearing as you get closer to it/to the ground.

I'm sure the issue is not new and there's something I forgot, but I can't find any hint what that might be and how to solve the issue. :confused:

Horst18519

Resource contributor
Country
germany
OMG, I'm getting older! :banghead: :laughing:

I placed the poly at 0/0/-1 to adjust it on the zero axis - simply forgot to move it back to altitude 0.

Well, problem solved! :D

Horst18519

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Make sure the plane is at altitude 0.0 (z value) in GMAX before you export it.

Country
netherlands
Hello,

having this problem too.

I am quite sure that the plane is level on 0 on Z axis, but it keeps flickering.
The object as it is is a plane by the size of almost 5*2 kilometers, adjusted in size so that it fits the resolution of base data, with 5120*2048 pixels divided in 1024*1024 blocks, IIRC working out to about 1.2px/m. As it is, it works out to extend from the single runway about 1km to each side.

My working method to make the model was to make a plane of required size, divide it to 5 length and 2 width sections, convert to editable mesh, and texture each face with respective texture (orto0 through orto9). The plane is rotated so that gmax reference is to the true north. I export the plane using fs2002 SDK and patch the asm as described in Bill Womacks tutorial, using layer 8 for the background.

The runway and taxiway looks good though, only difference being I did not texture every face by itself, can this be the problem? Should I divide the base so it is ten objects?

I also tried rising the levels by 4, base being 12, runway 16, with same results.

Horst18519

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Don't forget to divide the tiles into ploys not bigger than 100m because of the curved earth (FSX). You can use Arnos MCX for this.

Country
netherlands
So I tried MCX in conversion of a mdl exported by 2004 gamepack, and it does not show at all (exported as 2004 and X poly).

Back to the drawing board...

Horst18519

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Not sure how exactly you did it, but I usually do it this way: export an X file from GMax/Max. Compile X file into bgl with fs2002 mdlmaker. Open bgl in the MCX ground wizard tool. It saves a new layered bgl file that should work perfectly.

Country
netherlands
I will try that tomorrow. Will it be FS2204 compatibile though (provided I use MCX Wizards FS2004 setting)

Horst18519

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Sure, that's why Arno included an option for both sims in the wizard. :wizard:

Country
netherlands
Looks good then, thank you.
(how are you so fast replying? Dont you have better things to do? Like Prague? :p :) )

Horst18519

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Still waiting for some material, but there are lots of other projects that require my (night)time. ;)

Country
netherlands
Good, good. If you would need something specific, let me know, chances are, I can find someone to talk to.