• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX 3DSMAX Texture Bake whole texture output

Hi guys,

I'm currently at the stage of creating the night time map for my airport that i'm working on.

I'm taking the bake texture approach in 3dsmax i was wondering how is it possible to bake the texture
where the output is the same size as the image i have used for the initial model before baking.

I can set the output at a certain size yes but only a quarter of the image is used for the baking. The rest of the texture is the selected black color.

Photo is attached

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• BAKETEST.jpg
    BAKETEST.jpg
    751.3 KB · Views: 327

krispy1001

Resource contributor
Hi guys,

I'm currently at the stage of creating the night time map for my airport that i'm working on.

I'm taking the bake texture approach in 3dsmax i was wondering how is it possible to bake the texture
where the output is the same size as the image i have used for the initial model before baking.

I can set the output at a certain size yes but only a quarter of the image is used for the baking. The rest of the texture is the selected black color.

Photo is attached

Thanks in advance
Hi RIDZ_YSSY!

I have not used 3DS Max for about 5 years. But I would guess that it is the size of your UV-unwrap on your bake texture sheet.

Thanks, Kris

hairyspin

Resource contributor
As Kris says, your night texture should fit the mapping you've already used for the day textures. The model is still the same, all you're asking the sim to do is use the night texture for the same model, so if the day texture is (say) 1024x1024 then the night texture should be the same. You have mapped it already, haven't you?

As Kris says, your night texture should fit the mapping you've already used for the day textures. The model is still the same, all you're asking the sim to do is use the night texture for the same model, so if the day texture is (say) 1024x1024 then the night texture should be the same. You have mapped it already, haven't you?

Hi RIDZ_YSSY!

I have not used 3DS Max for about 5 years. But I would guess that it is the size of your UV-unwrap on your bake texture sheet.

Thanks, Kris

Thanks for the replies guys ! It's been a while since i have done this too so i'm still a little confused!

Basically i have a example test texture of 512x512 that i have attached. Now i want to put that texture onto a square in 3dsmax and work with lighting to get the desired effect.
Then i want to bake that texture with the desired effects and have the same image 512x512 output so that i can use it as a night variation in FSX.

But all i get is a 512x512 texture with quarter of the 512 used. What am i doing wrong ? Would it have anything to do with channels and automatic uvwrap inside the bake control panel ?
I've tried baking the "use channel 1" option but all i get is a black texture.

I have tried to use the unwrap uvw option but whenever i go to bake it adds an automatic uv map to the stack.
Which i have a feeling might play around with the final outcome ? Still getting used to 3ds from gmax so similar but much more different than i thought.

Regards,
Ridz

Attachments

• baketest1.jpg
    baketest1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 285
Hi Ridz, in the RTT rollout under "Mapping Coordinates" you have to select "Use Existing Channel" in order to avoid
the automatic unwrap. Before that be sure to either use Unwrap UVW modifier as you have done before or add the UVW Map modifier set to
"Planar" or "Face".

Hi Ridz, in the RTT rollout under "Mapping Coordinates" you have to select "Use Existing Channel" in order to avoid
the automatic unwrap. Before that be sure to either use Unwrap UVW modifier as you have done before or add the UVW Map modifier set to
"Planar" or "Face".

Done that was it !! Thanks guys i really appreciate it. So in case anyone needs the same advice, all i done was create the object, add the texture, add the light, add the unrwap uvw option, from the RTT menu select "use existing channel" and then render. All came out perfectly.

Thanks everyone it all helped.

Regards,
Ridz