• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS A couple of observations

Country
unitedstates
It appears that the drawing of footprints for library objects, especially vegetation, really slows down the screen display in ADE. Some objects have a pretty complex footprint and slow down zooming, etc. Any way to include an option to reduce footprint complexity? The footprints for library objects were pretty simple for FSX.

"? unknown Command AddVFSPath" occurs at the end of each build report after compiling. Don't know what it means or if it's meaningless.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
There is an option to turn off the drawing of detailed footprints. The code generating them is from Arno and I believe that he has optimizrd the drawing. Like too many aprons Asobo seems to have created objects with a very high number of triangles.. I assume if these are your own creation then you are in control of the complexity to some degree.

Settings > Options > General and uncheck Draw Detailed Footprints.

1611470410734.png

You can hide Library Objects and Models by Unchecking View > Library Objects

1611470601326.png

These options should help with some performance issues

You can also hide one or more objects by selecting them and using the F8 Key, You can temporarily make hidden objects visible by using the D key or restore them all from the View Menu. This way you could hide stuff that is complex or in an area you are not working in and restore them later. You have quite a lot of control over what appears in the ADE display You can check how many hidden objects there are in the status bar at the bottom of the Display

1611471343530.png

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Ahh, so, I notice that aprons are created with TONS of points around corners. I started cleaning up some myself, but I gave up after a while. But, if they create extra triangles which could affect performance maybe it's worth it to clean all of them up/create all new ones using the others as templates?

Country
unitedstates
It appears that the palm tree library object footprint is the main culprit in slowing down ADE. Since I am working in tropical zones, it is a real problem for me. The hide individual objects is a good option except when there are a lot of these objects. Anytime you need to view a hidden object, unhide all objects is the only option, then requiring individually hiding objects again. Eliminating the view of all library objects has obvious issues if you are working with them. Eliminating detailed footprints in settings is the best option except for one thing. Library objects then show as a rectangle with the center shown in the center of the rectangle that shows the outer bounds of the object. Models show a rectangle depicting the size of the object but does not show the outer bounds of the object. Rather, the center is at one corner of the rectangle. It would be helpful if library objects and models could be have separate view settings and/or the model undetailed footprint is corrected. I knew I could find some way to complain.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
If you want to restore one object hold down the D key so hidden objects appear and left click on the one you want back. Let go the D key and the rest will hide again. You can multi select to hid a group at a time

Country
unitedstates
Okay, one of the best things about ADE is the well written manual that I don't read. I had to start up my old FSX computer to retrieve the manual and move a copy to the new computer on which I am now working. That said, is there any way to get the non-detailed footprint of models to show the same way as library objects?