• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

A Tip when using GIMP to create blend masks

Country
australia
I found this quite by accident and after much frustration and posts here and as I had the same problem at a later date and had completely forgot about the initial problem (and how I solved it) I thought it worthy of posting this tip.

When creating BLEND masks using GIMP 2.8

Use a layer with TRANSPARENCY background as normal using a BLACK PEN with a 'hardness' of 25% or 50% (your choice) as normally done to create a nice blending along the edges.

Create a new layer (name it WHITE) with a WHITE background.

Now you need to FLATTEN these two layer which will replace all the transparent areas with WHITE.
I suggest that you temporarily delete all other layers and then select FLATTEN IMAGE from the IMAGE menu.

EXPORT this 'flattened' layer as your BLEND MASK.

If this is not done then you will end up with a two color blend mask which has lost all of the grayscale edges of your mask.

Country
australia
I have also found another method since creating this (tip) thread.

I have found that you can achieve the same result as follows -

Select the Mask layer.
Then remove the transparency via LAYERS > TRANSPARENCY > REMOVE ALPHA CHANNEL
When you do this the two tone gray areas (transparency) will be replaced by white.
This is simpler than flattening with a white layer.

I have created a document on how I created both water/land masks and blend masks using GIMP 2.8 and would like to make it available to anyone in case it helps anyone who experiences the same issues that I encountered and also to help users save disk space by creating the smallest mask file sizes possible.
I am not sure how to do that other that just to create a new thread.

Regards

Last edited:
Country
australia
I have attached my document to this post.
Please advise if there is anything you don't understand or anything contained which could be improved.

Attachments

• Using GIMP to create Water Mask.pdf
    586.7 KB · Views: 1,019