Abandon Stable Release?

Arno,
There are a couple of current threads in this forum where the poster's problem is due to use of the old "stable release, 1.3.00. It's so old that most of the things people want to do with MCX are no longer possible with 1.3. If I might suggest - instead post the last version that is Windows XP compatible (more people need that than 1.3) with a warning that it has limitations and then make the last stable development release the "up to date version". Then create development releases that last only as long as needed to test new features, and once tested OK immediately make that the up to date release. Since all of us are now using the development release without any manual whatsoever, any advantage I know of keeping the old "stable release" has long vanished. Is there any other reason it is being kept? If not, why wait? :)

Thanks,

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Tom,

My own rule is that I should have a current manual with a stable release. Finding the time to update the MCX manual is what prevents me from making 1.4 the stable release.

But I agree I need to try to time to make that manual and create a new stable release. Just wish I had some more spare time :)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
We discussed this a while ago already (this is dragging on quite long already).

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/new-manual.438652/

I guess if some people could help me writing parts of the manual that might help. On the other hand for many features I'm probably the only one that knows how they work :)

My plan is to make a PDF manual like I have for scenProc. And once I have it, I will keep it up to date when I improve the development release. I do that for scenProc already and it makes it much easier to make a new stable release. But for MCX we first need to clear all the work that needs to be done in catching up on missing documentation.

Hi,

That would be my problem. I'd be happy to help, but I don't know about all of the tools' features, only the (relatively few) things I've actually used. But I'm willing to try.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Let me think how we can do this. I should probably write most of the text, but maybe somebody can help create the screen captures of the different elements and review the text.

LOL! I just came back to this forum to suggest exactly that - I'm a pretty good editor and have done screen shots before for ADE. :)