• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Actigate mdl to api/bgl

Country
iceland
Hi

I have already made the Actigate .mdl file and placed the .dll file in the module folder of FS2004. However I can not find out how to create .api and/or .bgl file out of the .mdl file. Is there some tutorial about this around how to do this?

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
Country
ireland
You need to use BGLComp.exe and the XML File.

bglcomp.exe myxmlfile.xml

This takes the information found in the XML file, and puts your MDL(s) into the BGL file.

Country
iceland
Hi Nick

I am a little confused about the XML file. I know that one needs to create a notepad file with XML extention and drop it over the BGLComp.exe to create the XML file but what content must the Notepad file have?

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
Country
ireland
When you export from GMAX using the FS2004 Gamepack, it will create the MDL and a "template" XML File.

By Default, the XML file will look something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<FSData version="9.0" xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance' xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd">

<!-- Sample object placement. Remove comment markers to place object east of 34R at Sea Tac. -->
<!--
<SceneryObject lat="47 25.89" lon="-122 18.43" alt="0" pitch="0" bank="0" heading="0" altitudeIsAgl="TRUE" imageComplexity="NORMAL">
<LibraryObject name="AA0FF97A414DF0441484EA9E6CD3D2E7" scale="1.0" />
</SceneryObject>

-->

<!-- Inclusion of model data. Use the 'Name' of this object to place -->
<!-- it in other locations. -->
<ModelData name="AA0FF97A414DF0441484EA9E6CD3D2E7" sourceFile="alhanger.mdl" />
</FSData>

So, you need to edit it to look something like this: (Basically take out the <!-- --> comments)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<FSData version="9.0" xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance' xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd">

<SceneryObject lat="47 25.89" lon="-122 18.43" alt="0" pitch="0" bank="0" heading="0" altitudeIsAgl="TRUE" imageComplexity="NORMAL">
<LibraryObject name="AA0FF97A414DF0441484EA9E6CD3D2E7" scale="1.0" />
</SceneryObject>
<ModelData name="AA0FF97A414DF0441484EA9E6CD3D2E7" sourceFile="alhanger.mdl" />
</FSData>

All of this is in the file "gmaxSceneryTutorial.doc" which is located in GMAX\gamepacks\fs2004\docs

Hope this helps.

Country
iceland
I use ActiGateEditor by Arno to create the mdl file but the template is not visible. Do I have to import the mdl file to Gmax to create it from there? (sorry if this is a dumb question)

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
Country
ireland
No, if you have a "compiled MDL" which actigate has finished doing its magic on, then you can either create a XML file of you can use Arnos ObjPlacerXML tool which will do this for you.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Kjartan,

I assume you mean the VGDSTweaker tool that created the MDL file for you? If you don't know how to make the XML file yourself (the BGLComp SDK should help you here), the suggestion of Nick to use ObPlacer XML is a good one. As it makes the XML file for you.

Country
iceland
Ok I finally managed to get the xml file in the "right" form and compiled the bgl file but the only thing that shows is the stop sign as shown on the photo. Do you have a clue what I am doing wrong?

actigate1.jpg

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Looks like you are missing most of the textures (actually only 1 seems to show). Are you sure you copied them all to your texture folder?