• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Adding/adjusting navigation for GPS etc

Country
wales
Is there a way of developing a GUI interface, which can be used to add/change NDBs’, VORs’ with their latitude,longitude and frequencies so that the GPS system plus SID/STARS can be kept in line with current changes.
I appreciate that in FSX deluxe there is SDK but many are not interested or capable of using this system.

Possibly this system could be a small database which FS is able to read the same as it presently does for the default settings? In this manner it may be possible for the “additions table” to be a priority when the system reads it so that defaults remain intact thus reducing the probability of corruption.

Therefore if a change to an existing setting is required i.e. An NDB is taken out of service instead of removing the details the details can be entered in to the “Additions table” as if it were new but flagged as DEACTIVATED. The system could then ignore that data and make the NDB invisible to the user. This is of course a big ask – but not everyone wants to use FMC’s and with more users now accessing networks like Virtual Skies, IVAO and Vatsim the necessities of good navigation and planning are essential to the thousands of online pilots and ATC’s

Is there a way of developing a GUI interface, which can be used to add/change NDBs’, VORs’ with their latitude,longitude and frequencies so that the GPS system plus SID/STARS can be kept in line with current changes.

Open the airport with ADE that the NDB, VOR is closest to and drag it to the new Lat/Lon (or type in the new Lat/Lon). Many airport approach code also uses these same VOR/NDB's and moving any will require a rewrite of airport approach code.

VOR/NDB's/Waypoints are also used for the route Victor/Jet airways that are in the database as seen with the map mode.

FS9/FSX does not allow any Navaid to be deleted but will honor any move of the Navaid. If the Navaid is moved and the bgl is placed higher then the root bgl it nest in (original) then FS will read the new position over the stock position.

The same applies to all WAYPOINTS and T_Waypoints. You can add these to your bgl and FS honors the move so the SID/STARS are lined properly. You can also make SID T_Waypoints that do not exist and then create the approach code as departure code in the GPS so ATC will honor the SID as part of the overall flightplan. ATC also honors STAR's and the Transitions off the STAR to the IF of the approach to the runway.

All of this is available in the ADE utility.

Country
germany
Hi Jim,

and then create the approach code as departure code in the GPS

Can you elaborate on that a little?

I thought one cannot create departures as the GPS doesn't support it. I guess one can create STARs as a Transition, but that problably bloats the approach code big time.

I wonder if it's possible to create routes in the terminal area...

@garethfx:
I am currently trying to use navigraph airac cycles to create updates for the fsx gps. Unfortunately FS requires every waypoint or navaid in the terminal environment put into a airport context. That makes it very hard to produce a proper global update.
The problem with the navigraph cycles is, they are not free, so every user has to convert its data on its own. But many users of online networks like vatsim or ivao have a current airac already.

cu Stefan

Last edited: