• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Adding aprons and taxiways over an image

JonPatch

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I've just started today using ADE, and so far it's working great. Good work, Jon et al!

My reference is an airport chart from the Alaska DOT. I have added this as a background image, and registered it to the correct location. Now how do I refine the taxiways and aprons when they are covering up the background image?

(Aside: the facility I'm working on, PAKT, is being rebuilt: the runway is being shifted 500 feet Southeast along the centreline. The FSX default .bgl had the end points of the runways accurate to within a meter of the correct new location! Taxiways and aprons were approximate.)

Jon

Jon

At one time in previous test versions we had a shader percent value that was suppose to allow us to set the see through of the image or ADE. I can't find that entry in the edit of the image anymore. I do see a bring to front or bring to back in edit screen but don't see a change when used.

Maybe George or Jon knows what happen to the shader percent or it might still be there amd I can't find it.

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Jim, Jon

I have it one the list to have transparency for images but altho I did some work on it I have not implemented it yet

GHD

Country
england
Now how do I refine the taxiways and aprons when they are covering up the background image?
All I do is drag/re-size the taxiways and aprons until they match the underlying image:

As I also use photographic scenery, I make the final adjustments when connected to FSX.

George

JonPatch

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Ya, Jim, that's what I'm looking for. George, when refining corners and such if the taxiway graphic is opaque I can't see the reference image underneath ....

Roger that, Jon.

Jon

Jon (JonPatch)

You and Holger do alot of advance work. Keep in mind that ADE Home Version is a Novice program that has locks and forces certain XML code to a default for compiler purposes.

Sometimes I have to temp delete a apron on the outskirts of a airport just to see what Google earth is showing under ADE. This helps in designing a new shp2vec CVX bgl for airport background boundary's or adding to a road network for animated traffic into and out of the airport.

We introduced ADE Home so many new Novice designers won't get into too much trouble with their small GA Home Airport. As we move into the future ADE Pro Edition is going to give power to designers in both the visual and unseen world of the FSX airport. This really has nothing to do with your request but just want to let those that manipulate airports like yourself that help is on the way.

Last edited:

JonPatch

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Thanks for the context, Jim. I look forward to the Pro version and am hopeful that for the smaller fields I'm working on right now ADE will fill the bill.

Jon

Last edited:

GHD

Country
england
when refining corners and such if the taxiway graphic is opaque I can't see the reference image underneath ....
I still don't see the problem. Drag the corners such that they are inside the backgrould image then drag them to their 'correct' location. For taxiways, reduce their width until positioned.

George

Country
unitedstates
I still don't see the problem. Drag the corners such that they are inside the backgrould image then drag them to their 'correct' location. For taxiways, reduce their width until positioned.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing with my airport projects. I haven't had a problem with this technique either. I will also take measurements in GE or VE and use that as a guideline as well in taxiway/apron placement and sizing.

For example, if I know the runway is 150 ft wide (based on airport charts), I can confirm that by using GE or VE. If when I measure the runway in GE or VE I get the same measurements, I then feel confident I can use the imagery to measure the dimensions of the other elements (taxiway widths, aprons, etc.).

Last edited:
Country
scotland
Hi

Is the answer to the original question here not to go into the 'Options' and make the colours of the surfaces being drawn more/fully transparent then you might see the shape or width of the item underneath for drawing purposes.

Iain

JonPatch

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
George & Bob, your suggestions make sense, and are reasonable workaround. But I'm lazy. ;)

Iain, that is indeed the solution! Exactly what I needed... awesome!

Jon