• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Adding contours to a new island created

Country
australia
I have read another thread regarding this (http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/meshing-around-with-sbuilderx.77251/) and could not completely understand all the 'dialogue'.

I have created a few islands which work (setting the polygon as a hole) and the default scenery 'pokes' through nicely EXCEPT for one island so I assume there is NO mesh for this small island (it really exists and it is rocky and 45 feet high and with a lighthouse).
For this island it displays as completely flat at the same elevation as the ocean. I have tried adding other polygons with correct elevation 'inside' the polygon 'hole' but it remains flat at the same elevation as the ocean.

How easy or difficult would it be to add some elevation to this island?

Country
italy
The easiest way to get there would be to find out on the internet a DTM (Digital Terrain Model) of that island, and then convert it to a BGL file with the SDK Resample Tool.
If you can't find any ready-to-use DTM, you should make it yourself but this is another matter, because some GIS skills are needed.
If it can help, you could have a look at my post here: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/making-fictional-islands-sceneries.440310/
That procedure either works for fictional and real sceneries as well.

By the way, I think that flattening polygons can not be used that way: they are mainly intended to flatten an airfield.

Country
us-illinois
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/adding-contours-to-a-new-island-created.440835/

I have read another thread regarding this (http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/meshing-around-with-sbuilderx.77251/) and could not completely understand all the 'dialogue'.

I have created a few islands which work (setting the polygon as a hole) and the default scenery 'pokes' through nicely EXCEPT for one island so I assume there is NO mesh for this small island (it really exists and it is rocky and 45 feet high and with a lighthouse).
For this island it displays as completely flat at the same elevation as the ocean. I have tried adding other polygons with correct elevation 'inside' the polygon 'hole' but it remains flat at the same elevation as the ocean.

How easy or difficult would it be to add some elevation to this island?

Hi John:

If you post Geographic coordinates for the island, we could answer your questions as to whether the default terrain mesh contains data for the island, and what may be required to "add some elevation to this island". ;)

GaryGB

Country
australia
Thanks Guys,

I have used a series of adjacent triangular 'flatten' polygons with varying altitudes at each vertice in ADE to change the altitude of the terrain successfully but polygon holes are probably a different matter.

Gary, it's probably not worth the effort as it is only an insignicant rocky outcrop off the coast some 550 feet long and 250 feet wide and I cannot find if it has a name but FYI its co-ordinates are -
49 25 05.37N (49.418158)
123 42 43.84W (-123.712177)

John

Country
us-illinois
Hi John:

The White Islets are represented in The Canadian Digital Elevation Model (CDEM).

Here is a LOD-11 / 19.2 Meter terrain mesh BGL of White Islets CDEM data for you to use / redistribute as you wish:

"White_Islets_CDEM_23M_GM_32-Bit_GeoTiff.bgl"

BTW: Some Links...

http://www.explorationguides.com/info/destination-apps/lighthouse-na/bc/ (see: #443)

https://books.google.com/books?id=YEH50xSJedQC&pg=PA73&lpg=PA73&dq=white+islets+bc+beacon&source=bl&ots=S2kH68HM4R&sig=PlgItEWhNwPVolne3M1Pq5M5iWs&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVl_KwhunVAhVF64MKHSU2CX8Q6AEIWTAN#v=onepage&q=white islets bc beacon&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=JTJHAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA17&lpg=PA17&dq=white+islets+bc+beacon&source=bl&ots=MPgtE7MAkg&sig=NuQgMT5JvnHLlqZaWliPa7gFY78&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVl_KwhunVAhVF64MKHSU2CX8Q6AEIPjAH#v=onepage&q=white islets bc beacon&f=false

https://www.flickr.com/photos/birdonthemoon/5952620473/in/album-72157627104546881/

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/27127042?source=wapi&referrer=kh.google.com#

27127042.jpg

PS: It would be interesting if you showed us a screenie with your new photoreal scenery displayed on top of this mesh ! ;)

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB

Attachments

• White_Islets_CDEM_23M_GM_32-Bit_GeoTiff_bgl.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Country
australia
Wow thanks Gary

I had found the name White Islets on Google Earth and then did a google search which found nothing. How did you find this info and how did you get the Paroramio picture link as all those links in Google Earth don't work anymore (I did read the reason why)?

And thanks for the attached file but what is it supposed to do? I thought that it was a mesh file for White Islets so added the folder to my Addon Scenery folder and enabled it in the Scenery Library but my 'island' is still flat.
Lastly are there any FSX lighthouse scenery objects which are animated ie flash at night?

John

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/adding-contours-to-a-new-island-created.440835/#post-779288

Wow thanks Gary

I had found the name White Islets on Google Earth and then did a google search which found nothing. How did you find this info and how did you get the Panoramio picture link as all those links in Google Earth don't work anymore (I did read the reason why)?

Hi John:

In Google Earth Desktop version (from my part of the world, at least), when I double-click the Panoramio picture icon on the aerial imagery view next to White Islets, it opens up a pop-up window with the picture; when that is further double-clicked, it opens up a Panoramio web page.

Not sure why some Panoramio picture icon links work ...and others don't. :scratchch

And thanks for the attached file but what is it supposed to do? I thought that it was a mesh file for White Islets so added the folder to my Addon Scenery folder and enabled it in the Scenery Library but my 'island' is still flat.

Assuming that in SBuilderX, you have properly excluded and replaced the local LOD-9 / QMID-11 quad of the Strait of Georgia Hydro poly and/or made a "hole" over the White Islets, that should reveal the underlying terrain mesh, and IIUC, you also made a custom photo-real aerial imagery BGL to cover the local area, so the aerial imagery (or other super-imposed land class texture) ...would then drape onto that surface.

Lastly are there any FSX lighthouse scenery objects which are animated ie flash at night?

John

Indeed ! :D

Almost done; it needs texturing and a custom timed beacon flash duration Effect (*.Fx) file, but it will be yours soon... ;)

white_islets_v2017-jpg.36419

GaryGB

Attachments

• White_Islets_v2017.jpg
    White_Islets_v2017.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 553
Last edited:
Country
australia
What a 'star' you are Gary.

I had briefly (very briefly) considered trying to create a lookalike lighthouse but discounted that idea when I remembered how long it took me to create a simple advertising type roadside sign using GMAX a couple of years ago.

Double clicking on the icon in Google Earth only opens a small window (as it always has) WITHOUT anything

white_islets.jpg

Now something weird seems to have happened. At first I was getting the 'island' with NO elevation same as the ocean. I wondered if the canada19_092.bgl (a mesh file I downloaded and installed some time ago) may be conflicting and so removed it but it made no difference.
I then had a 'brainwave' :eek: and wondered if changing the scenery settings might be the reason. I then set Mesh from 38m to 19m and voila I now see elevation although that elevation (hill?) doesn't extend all over the islet but that wouldn't be 'seen' from the air. Also the very small islet is complete flat. I also tried 'full on' at 1m but it didn't improve it. Anyway it is HEAPS better and I am satisfied.
I used TMFVGRABBER to try and make some sense of the bgl mesh file but couldn't.
Where did the data come from for the mesh file you sent as it is not completely correct? but much better than nothing - thanks again).
You will notice that I used (texture) LC_DESERT_ROCK which is the closest texture to the real thing I could find. You might also notice there are no animated seals ;)

white islets.jpg

Yes I do have some photo-real imagery but that is only for small areas such as the Sechelt golf course and the Sechelt quarry (Stockwell Sand and Gravel). It's not for the whole area. Most of the area for my scenery is within a scenery file I created using ADE. I started using ADE (to create water runway, water taxipaths, docks etc) before even knowing about SBX and then used SBX to create other larger islands when I learned that you can't make islands using ADE.

Just noticed you are in Illinois. Never been there. My wife and I toured major tourist spots/national parks on the west coast during May on a coach tour and loved it especially Yellowstone. Also drove parts of Route 66 from Los Angeles to Albuquerque and loved that too. We want to go back to the same areas and explore more in depth soon.

Attachments

• white islet.jpg
    white islet.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi John:

I will compare Raimondo Taburet's terrain mesh with the Q&D example made with un-modified CDEM sometime soon.:pushpin:

https://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=canada19_092.zip&categoryId=&filename=Y

canada19_map92.JPG

FSX Canada 19M Terrain Mesh Area -Vancouver & surrounding area. (Category: FSX > Terrain Mesh)
canada19_092.zip
Zip file preview

71.97Mb (2566 downloads)
FSX Canada 19MTerrain Mesh Area -Vancouver & surrounding area. CDED 20 m elevation models.
By Raimondo Taburet. 73.6MB

Posted Jun 26, 2009 07:08 by archive

In the mean time... ;)

Here's an update on the White Islets Beacon 3D model (intended for use as a MDL-based scenery library object).

white_islets_beacon_v2017-jpg.36436

Here's an update on the White Islets Terrain 3D model (intended for use as a MDL-based scenery library object).

white_islets_terrain_v2017-jpg.36437

This still needs further edits for elevation, high tide water level perimeters, and enhanced texturing. :coffee:

GaryGB

Attachments

• White_Islets_Beacon_v2017.jpg
    White_Islets_Beacon_v2017.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 556
  • White_Islets_Terrain_v2017.jpg
    White_Islets_Terrain_v2017.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 582
Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi John:

All is well; I will reply with an explanation of the 3D terrain model and another update in a few hours. :)

GaryGB

Country
australia
Sorry I thought that perhaps you were ill.
BTW when I double click on an 'picture' icon in Google Earth and the 'blank' window opens (as mentioned above), if I then click on 'Panoramio' a page opens with a detailed explanation headed by
Panoramio no longer available after November 4, 2016

Country
us-illinois
Hi John:

The 3D terrain model was derived via the CDEM 23 Meter elevation data previously cited above, triangulated as a elevation data point TIN, re-projected by- and exported from- a GIS application, then imported into Sketchup.

BTW: If you plan to look into making your own terrain mesh in the future, there are some areas of higher resolution elevation data for the Sechelt area that you may wish to consider using in conjunction with the above cited CDEM data for the surrounding region.

FYI
: AFAIK, the above referenced canada19_092.zip Raimondo Taburet terrain mesh was based on the CDEM source data, but IIUC, his source data appears to have been pre-processed and submitted to FS SDK Resample using 16-Bit integer data values.

The example terrain mesh I attached above:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/adding-contours-to-a-new-island-created.440835/#post-779298

...was also based on the CDEM source data, but that source data was submitted to FS SDK Resample using 32-Bit floating point data values.

IMHO, you'd also want to use 32-Bit floating point data values for your Digital Elevation Map (DEM) or Digital Terrain Map (DTM) raster data, rather than "contour" vector data when preparing source data for FS SDK Resample. :pushpin:

Some more updates:

white_islets_beacon_v2017_location_terrain_image-jpg.36484

White_Islets_Beacon_v2017_Location_Terrain_Image

white_islets_beacon_v2017_high_tide_perimeters_image-jpg.36485

White_Islets_Beacon_v2017_High_Tide_Perimeters_Image

There is still more work to be done with this 3D model and its texture materials. :coffee:

GaryGB

Attachments

• White_Islets_Beacon_v2017_Location_Terrain_Image.jpg
    White_Islets_Beacon_v2017_Location_Terrain_Image.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 542
  • White_Islets_Beacon_v2017_High_Tide_Perimeters_Image.jpg
    White_Islets_Beacon_v2017_High_Tide_Perimeters_Image.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:
Country
australia
Thanks Gary

Are you doing a 3D model for the White Islets or am I confusing that with the lighthouse?

Regards

John

Country
us-illinois
white_islets_beacon_v2017_perpective_location_terrain_image-jpg.36486

I am indeed doing a 3D model for the White Islets ...as well as the beacon ('lighthouse') structure. :)

GaryGB

Attachments

• White_Islets_Beacon_v2017_Perpective_Location_Terrain_Image.jpg
    White_Islets_Beacon_v2017_Perpective_Location_Terrain_Image.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 557
Last edited: