• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Adding runway surface painted position signs (numbers)

Country
us-tennessee
I hope this is the right place to ask....... I want to add some surface painted positions signs (Numbers) as shown in attached pictures.

Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG

This is image of runway that I want to add the red markings. I have a scenery texture that has the number(s) but not sure if or how to use it.
Capture.JPG

I found this interesting FAA doc concerning airport markings aids and signs.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim_html/chap2_section_3.html

I have a dds file with the runway numbers I want to use. How can I use this dds file with the numbers?

Signs_Red.jpg

Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Create ground polygons using that texture. ADE Manuals folder, ADE-GP manual, Adding New Textures.

Country
us-tennessee
Sure....as I am trudging thru this verbiage I am reminded of something I haven't used since 1960....

Capture.JPG

Country
us-tennessee
I was able to find something slightly more lucid then..... read chapter#/verse# in manual referenced

In link below:
I get to step #5 (post # 10) and the program blows up - I can't click on the sides till they turn orange. So I can't get past step 5. I was able to select the texture shown ^ with numbers.
I can click on the purple icon and draw a square, the ADE opens and ask what texture I want to use, I close ADE to make the square more precise and
the program closes. All gone...did this process a few times till I got tired of doing it over and over for no gain what so ever.

JFTR - I use Win 10 - And P3D V5.3 HF2

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/surface-painted-taxiway-direction-signs.443957/

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
The GP editor is a sub-program within ADE. If you close ADE, you lose the GP Editor as well. Step 5 refers to the ground poly as created in the normal ADE screen. Every active object, including polys, ‘lights up’ orange. Once you’ve made it the active object, you can return to the GP Editor and continue from Step 5. Don’t close ADE!

All that said (and that guide you’ve found is largely from Tom, who answered above, Jon, the author of ADE, and Don, the author of the GP Editor, so the info is good), you may be better creating your own textures and importing them into the GP Editor, as Tom suggests.

Country
us-tennessee
The GP editor is a sub-program within ADE. If you close ADE, you lose the GP Editor as well. Step 5 refers to the ground poly as created in the normal ADE screen. Every active object, including polys, ‘lights up’ orange. Once you’ve made it the active object, you can return to the GP Editor and continue from Step 5. Don’t close ADE!

All that said (and that guide you’ve found is largely from Tom, who answered above, Jon, the author of ADE, and Don, the author of the GP Editor, so the info is good), you may be better creating your own textures and importing them into the GP Editor, as Tom suggests.
I was able to import the texture I wanted to use i- The GP editor box opened and I selected the texture I wanted to use then went to the next step which was to edit the shape of the box until the side turn orange
which never happened. Was not able to go any further.

Country
us-northcarolina
I create all my runway markings in Sketchup; export and create a bgl for them in MDCx. That way they are not images and do not flicker or are incompatible with Photoreal Scenery. Sketchup 2016 is still free if youloook hard enough to use in Windows 7; You CAN use the free version of Sketchup 2017 free in Windows 10. There is a lot of free help online as well.

Country
us-tennessee
I create all my runway markings in Sketchup; export and create a bgl for them in MDCx. That way they are not images and do not flicker or are incompatible with Photoreal Scenery. Sketchup 2016 is still free if youloook hard enough to use in Windows 7; You CAN use the free version of Sketchup 2017 free in Windows 10. There is a lot of free help online as well.
I already have the runway numbers in a dds format. It's just trying to integrate them into ADE or MCS ,,,,, which ever.

Country
us-tennessee
I hope this is the right place to ask....... I want to add some surface painted positions signs (Numbers) as shown in attached pictures.

View attachment 83569View attachment 83570

This is image of runway that I want to add the red markings. I have a scenery texture that has the number(s) but not sure if or how to use it.
View attachment 83571

I found this interesting FAA doc concerning airport markings aids and signs.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim_html/chap2_section_3.html

I have a dds file with the runway numbers I want to use. How can I use this dds file with the numbers?

View attachment 83573
Would I have to reverse these numbers first?

Signs_Red.jpg

Last edited: