• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Adding to ADE Object Library?

Country
ca-ontario
Would I be able to design (Gmax) towers, Hangers. Radar Vehicles, etc, and place them in ADe's Library, if so how would I accomplish this. Frank!

Frank

Since this is a sticky suggestion thread based on what needs to be added to ADE your question will get a lot more attention if you make a post heading and ask how to place objects in the library utility of ADE.

Country
australia
Yeah,
That had me fooled for a while, too.
There is a button lurking at the top of the Tools -> Library Object Manager, that looks like a header. It's called "Tools", and if you hover over it, you'll find that it's actually a short menu, one item of which allows you to add objects.

Select a .bgl that you think has objects in it, and it will tell you whether there are any objects, if so, how many, and how many have been loaded, and if there are any to load, will give you the opportunity to load them.

Now, matching the thumb nails is the hard bit...

And if anyone knows some method other than one at a time, I'd be very pleased to know about it.

Select a .bgl that you think has objects in it, and it will tell you whether there are any objects, if so, how many, and how many have been loaded, and if there are any to load, will give you the opportunity to load them.

Frank

Adding to what John just said

Be sure you hit the save button after bringing the bgl objects into ADE. If you do not hit the save button the next tine you open ADE the added bgl will be gone.

You can go get any bgl including the OBX type bgl's and load into ADE and see what type sceneryObjects exist around the world. ADE is not limited to just the Global\scenery bgl's.

After you are finished with loading, saving, looking at, and /or using you can delete the bgl from the list.

Country
ca-ontario
I added an Fs2004 Control Tower.bgl and it showed up okay in FSX except it was all black. I would assume the Gmax bgl's should be drawn in FSX Gmax. Is this correct? Frank!

GHD

Country
england
You need to have the textures in the texture folder associated with the scenery folder containing the ADE bgl (or in the main FSX texture folder).

George

Country
ca-ontario
I made a mistake. The tower that showed up was not made with ADE. I had tried to install the tower.bgl directly into FSX. Sorry for the confustion. I'll start from scratch.

(The two Towers I exported to FSX via ADE did not show up). Frank!

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
ADE can work with mdl files created by GMax or FSDS 3.5 As mentioned above this can be done directly without having them first in a Library.

Country
australia

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I'm currently building models in GMAX and installing them with ADE from my own library. It's a steep learning curve but worthwhile. If you get a copy of my latest airfield (YCAG Caiguna), it contains my model library and installation instructions for ADE. http://www.alanblencowe.com/imagesalan/03FSXaddonscenery.htm
This page may also help you get all the freeware you need to get started.
http://www.alanblencowe.com/imagesalan/03FSXairfieldconstruction.htm

Hi Alan

Thanks for posting those links

Country
unitedstates
Yeah,
That had me fooled for a while, too.
There is a button lurking at the top of the Tools -> Library Object Manager, that looks like a header. It's called "Tools", and if you hover over it, you'll find that it's actually a short menu, one item of which allows you to add objects.

Now, matching the thumb nails is the hard bit...

And if anyone knows some method other than one at a time, I'd be very pleased to know about it.

Thank you! I was wondering how it could be done.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
How can we do that?

What about mdls created using ModelConvertorX?

Provided that the mdl file works in FSX then you can use any. Check out the documentation on using mdl files in ADE. As I recall that information is in the supplemental release notes for version 1.37

Country
unitedstates
Provided that the mdl file works in FSX then you can use any. Check out the documentation on using mdl files in ADE. As I recall that information is in the supplemental release notes for version 1.37

Where are the supplemental notes. I found the readme that just says we can import XML and BGL although when I try and import an BGL it asks if I want to save the airport, I say no (or yes) and then nothing happens. Do I have to put the XML or BGL file anywhere in particular. I just browsed to it.

Thanks.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Start > Program Files > Airport Design Editor > Help > ADE Release Notes.pdf

Or Start > All Programs etc if you are using Vista.

Contents - Third Bullet - User Models. Details start on page 3

Country
unitedstates
Start > Program Files > Airport Design Editor > Help > ADE Release Notes.pdf

Or Start > All Programs etc if you are using Vista.

Contents - Third Bullet - User Models. Details start on page 3

Ahh. I was looking in the files I installed for the 1.39.07. Thanks.