• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v5 Adding two sim variables values together to produce a simple animation

I'm trying to animate a basic pitch/alpha indicator for an ADI. The pitch rate and alpha are combined into a single value to move a marker up and down.

I'm rubbish at maths, but I believe the values should be made up of the Vertical speed being divided by 100 (eg 6000 becomes 60) this would then be added to AoA with the result being the animation.

I've got as far as this, but not getting anything back. if{ (A:INCIDENCE ALPHA, degrees) + (A:VERTICAL SPEED,feet per second) 100 / }

Also what does everyone use for P3D V5 to see gauge simulation variables - I have the L Var gauge by Doug which is great.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Try

if{ (A:INCIDENCE ALPHA, degrees) (A:VERTICAL SPEED,feet per second) 100 / + }

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Country
northernireland
Unashamedly stolen from Wikipedia:

'In reverse Polish notation, the operators follow their operands; for instance, to add 3 and 4 together, one would write 3 4 + rather than 3 + 4. If there are multiple operations, operators are given immediately after their final operands (often an operator takes two operands, in which case the operator is written after the second operand); so the expression written 3 − 4 + 5 in conventional notation would be written 3 4 − 5 + in reverse Polish notation: 4 is first subtracted from 3, then 5 is added to it. An advantage of reverse Polish notation is that it removes the need for parentheses that are required by infix notation. While 3 − 4 × 5 can also be written 3 − (4 × 5), that means something quite different from (3 − 4) × 5. In reverse Polish notation, the former could be written 3 4 5 × −, which unambiguously means 3 (4 5 ×) − which reduces to 3 20 − (which can further be reduced to -17); the latter could be written 3 4 − 5 × (or 5 3 4 − ×, if keeping similar formatting), which unambiguously means (3 4 −) 5 ×. '

It might help?

OK so the following works and animates, however the two variables are not being added. For example, with vertical speed at 0 but alpha of 10 degrees, the code is generating 0 whereas it should be generating 10. It seems to be following only the vertical speed calculation.

(A:INCIDENCE ALPHA, radians) (A:VERTICAL SPEED, ft/min) 100 / 60 +

What I'm trying to achieve is say alpha = 20 degrees, Vertical speed is say 1000 fpm divided by 100=10 so 20 + 10 = 30 and 30 would be the animation position.

Is there something else I have round the wrong way?

??

Last edited:
You're close but it needs a few tweaks. One of the things about RPN is it's stack-based, so in your code above it's never using the Alpha simvar because Alpha goes on the stack as "a", VS as "b", 100 as "c", then b/c is evaluated and added as "b", then 60 is "c", then b+c becomes "b" and "a" is never used.

Try this one:
(A:INCIDENCE ALPHA, radians) rddg (A:VERTICAL SPEED, ft/min) 100 / + 60 +
Translates to: Alpha -> convert radians to degrees + (vertical speed / 100) + 60

Here's the RPN documentation: http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/utilities/scripting/rpn_scripting.html
It takes a little getting used to, but after a while, it starts to make sense.

Country
australia
or you can just do (A:INCIDENCE ALPHA, degrees) which should return -90 to 90 (I don't think AOA goes over 90 degrees) instead of -1.57 to 1.57 which is the range that radians would return. radians = degrees * 3.1415926 (pi) / 180

or you can just do (A:INCIDENCE ALPHA, degrees) which should return -90 to 90 (I don't think AOA goes over 90 degrees) instead of -1.57 to 1.57 which is the range that radians would return. radians = degrees * 3.1415926 (pi) / 180
Does the rddg negate the impact of using Radians? It seems to work pretty well.

Does the rddg negate the impact of using Radians? It seems to work pretty well.
It results in the same thing. Since your initial example had radians as the unit, I thought it might be useful to see that RPN has a way to convert it.
I suppose we could speculate which method yields more performance, but I doubt there would be any significant difference.
There's another useful angle conversion with the "dnor" and "rnor" keywords. These normalize plus and minus angles to 0-360 range. Important for animation since keyframes can't be negative values.