• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

ADE 1.67.5876 Beta - Accurate Library Object Footprints

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
This is the first public beta to test accurately drawn library object footprints. This is only possible thanks to Arno who provided the code to extract and generate the footprints.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zl36i35ed83vx0r/ade_167_5876_beta.zip

This is an early beta for this feature so we expect there to be some problems. Please note that:
  • This version will not work with FS9 so if you use ADE exclusively for FS9 then please don't try this beta. I hope it will work with FS9 later
  • The code has not been optimized for performance so it may be slower than you would like
  • The Object Property Dialog for Library Objects currently contains no detail
Install into a separate location away from any existing installations. You can import your settings from your existing installation if you wish.

ADE will generate accurate footprints for models when you load a stock airport. It won't try to do it if you load an existing project (load the stock airport first). When you start out you will find that it takes a long time to open a stock airport. This is because ADE will load all the footprint data for stock objects in the area of the airport. It only does this once and other nearby airports will be handled at the same time. Once footprints are in the database then loading should be near the same as with existing versions. The database will get large as you add more footprint information (it is stored in the ADE Global sub folder) however there is only one database and it is indexed on object GUID. Since FSX and P3D use broadly the same objects loading footprints in one version should make them available to the others.

Other than that - have fun :)

Last edited:

GHD

Country
england
Are accurate footprints optional?

What happens if there are hundreds of objects at an airport?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
No they aren't at the moment - I would like to know about performance hit but loading Major stock airports seems to be fine The only hit is how much longer it takes ADE to draw the complex shape against drawing a rectangle

Country
us-georgia
Jon,

I've noticed 2 issues with the beta and P3D V3.1. When building an airport from scratch in ADE, the exclude autogen polygon property is not working for me. I can reload an earlier version other than the beta if there is one that works with P3D V3.1. I am using the Pro licensed version of the software.

The other issue seems to be related to possibly the footprints issue, but not necessarily your software. If I place an object using Instant Scenery and reload the sim, the object is shifted slightly from the original position. I'm asking about this to determine if it's a footprint or something else. Love ADE and have used it for a long time.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I am not sure either of these relates to ADE. Objects moving or not appearing where placed is a known phenomenon. Mostly with generic buildings and we are not sure what causes it but it is something in the Sim

Working great so far Jon.

Thanks to you and Arno since this will save a lot of effort in placing objects correctly.

Country
unitedstates
Sorry, hit enter before I was finished. There is an error message at the bottom, but I think that has to do with the auto update?

Thanks,
Ken

Country
us-texas
John,

Don't know what I'm doing wrong, but it is working for me without any problems. :)

The first scenery to load was a little slow, but since then all is working.

Thanks, this is a much needed addition.

I'm using Win 7-64 and FSX.

Bill

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks for the feedback - I think you have it about right ;) Scenery will load slow if ADE can't find the footprints for the objects in its database. It looks at whole scenery areas so it may load footprints for a number of airports when loading one. After a while most footprints will be in the database and things should be similar in loading times to the current production version. We decided against shipping any database of footprints because it can get very large and many users have regional interests in any case.

Country
us-oregon
Thank you, THis is exciting. something new to play with. I down loaded and will make a fly by later today.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

Glad to hear there will be an option to turn off accurate footprints. I do not use ADE for placing objects (I use Instant Scenery) so none of my ADE files need to display the objects accurately - I prefer not generating a database and faster loading. :)

Country
italy
I installed the last Ade version, opening stock airports, it appears this message...How Can I solve the problem? This happen only with P3D 3.1 with the fsx's version, ADE freezes

Attachments

• error ade.jpg
    error ade.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:
Country
australia
really nice update Jon thanks,

And I've reported the Autogen ignoring Terrain Exclusions issues to LM it's not an ADE exclusive issue seems to be a 3.x issue as it's happening even if you use their tools to make autogen on photoreal.. bleed through begins to happen.. exclusion zones are being ignored etc..

On the update a very very very big thanks to you and Arno.. the update will mean a lot of guess work and having to reload to check object placement etc no longer has to be done. Thanks to both of you.

I installed the last Ade version, opening stock airports, it appears this message...How Can I solve the problem? This happen only with P3D 3.1 with the fsx's version, ADE freezes

muffo

I saw the same problem with FSX when trying to open a airport from the Airport List.

I closed ADE and reopened and then the airport list worked for me.

Country
unitedstates
When I tried to add objects to the library, the application froze. Specifically, when the ORBX "Duck Set" from the latest ORXLIBS was added. Adding objects to the library is predictably slower, but it seems to have some problems with the animated objects. Not a real problem in that I use the old version to add things and copy/paste the database to the new version. Just FYI.

Country
us-washington
I installed the beta in a different folder. I'm running FSX-SE on win 10 pro x64. When I loaded the stock airport for KSPI, but the library objects just showed like the regular ADE. It didn't show the actual terminal or what ever it was.

Country
us-newyork
I saw almost the same thing as John K when I installed yesterday. FSX, Win 10.

When I open stock or one of my ade projects, the objects display just as they did in former versions, except there is a red dot at the corner of each object. Not at my FSX computer now, but I'll post an image when I get home.

Importing date was slow--Instantly started up, but when importing info took 4-5 minutes, so maybe something went wrong. When I hover over the objects, the correct image is there, but the outlines are all rectangles. I may remove and try to reinstall.

Looks like it's relatively unique to my setup (and John's), which is about to be subjected to a clean install of Win 10. The win 10 Update went poorly, and I cannot install some programs (TurboTax for instance). Just trying to find/develop a list of the years of programs that will need to be reinstalled

So, not to likely it's anything but me and the update

Gary

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks for the feedback. Over the coming week I plan to add some more logging to help with reports like the above.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I installed the beta in a different folder. I'm running FSX-SE on win 10 pro x64. When I loaded the stock airport for KSPI, but the library objects just showed like the regular ADE. It didn't show the actual terminal or what ever it was.

I assume that you do have ADE pointing to your FSX:SE installed folder? ADE will go an look for library objects in the installation stock folders. If it can't find them it will carry on. Some small objects may be left as rectangles if the program figures they are too small to need an accurate footprint. Please try loading a larger airport like Miami or Chicago or JFK.

Also please go to the Global folder inside the main ADE folder and see if there is a file called MFDB.dbs - if it is there how big is it?