• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

ADE 1.75.6421 Production Installer

Country
australia
Will there be a version in the future which will allow the user to 'store forever' the version of Flight Sim they are using so that it will automatically select the version on startup?

In ADE v1.70 it prompted which version every time I started it regardless of the fact that 'FSX' (what I always select) is stored in the GLOBAL.INI file.

I thought that v1.75 may have addressed that.
Just a very minor point but a little annoying.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
You must have more than one sim version installed on your computer. ADE will start automatically if there is only one version present. So you have more than one version present, but only ever develop for one?

Country
australia
I only have installed FSX on my system.
BUT I just remembered that I installed for a brief time Prepa3D but then uninstalled it so maybe there are 'remnants' of it in my system (empty folders, registry entries etc).
I checked c: drive for any folders (Prepar3D) and found a few so removed them. Still the same problem.
Did a REGEDIT and searched for the same and removed all those entries. Still the same problem.
I HATE uninstallers which leave traces on your system.
Where to now?
John

Last edited:
Country
australia
I have removed all folders and registry entries left over after I uninstalled Prep3D and I am still prompted for which FS version.

What does ADE use to determine that multiple FS versions are installed so that I can get rid of whatever is causing ADE to think I have Prep3d v2 installed?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
What versions is ADE offering when you start up? They will be in the drop down list:

1521464206556.png

ADE check the registry for an entry on each sim. If you have any in the list that is no longer installed then you will need to find the entry for it in the registry and remove it

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
On my computer ADE remembers the sim version I used last, and offers that version as a default at the top of the drop down list. If ADE is not doing that for you, then there may be something odd about your setup.

Country
australia
In answer to everyone's questions (thanks for your replies)

ade.jpg

By the way I have NEVER installed P3D v2. I have never had it to install. I did though once install v3 for a short time and then uninstalled (but the uninstall left remnants in the way of folders and registry entries which I have now removed).

I downloaded and installed and run Revo Uninstaller and it did NOT show P3D in the list of installed applications.

Tom. that is not what I am trying to fix. I only have ONE flight simulator installed but ADE 'thinks' I have P3D installed and so ADE asks me which FS version everytime I start.

Could it be that ADE stores in it's settings data for what used to be on my system and now uninstalled - I did a COPY of 'settings' each time I have updated a version (which ADE prompts you to do on first run?

I have done some trial and error without success.
I deleted the folders named P3D and P32 from the ADE top folder.
I changed the paths in SETTINGS.INI in both (above) folders to REMOVE paths which appeared to be for P3D and P32 which DO NOT EXIST.

I am wondering if I should UNINSTALL ADE175 and all user data (hopefully the uninstall will allow that) and start with a brand new fresh installation of ADE175 where I have to set up all the paths again.

It is interesting that if I select P3D v2 when I startup ADE (which I don't have installed) a window opens telling me -
ADE cannot find the Effects Folder inside your FS installation....... obviously as I don't have it installed!

Jon you have security on ADE really locked down which is a credit to you but a bugbear to me.

John

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi John:

Did you at any time install the P3D SDK, and if so, which numeric version ? :scratchch

NOTE: Look under Prepar3d 'Prepar3D' in the alphabetical list within Revo Uninstaller ;)

PS: Did you try using "Forced Uninstall" feature in the Revo Uninstaller Pro 'Demo' ? :idea:

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
australia
Hi Gary

Nice to see your name again and thanks for your suggestions.

The P3D I installed (filename) is [P3D] Prepar3D v3 Professional Plus 3.3.5.17625

Prepar3d is NOT listed within Revo uninstaller.

When I run the trial version of Revo Pro and select "forced uninstall" and start to type "prepar" it only lists "DataPreparator" ie doesn't find Prepar3D.
If I type "P3D" it lists "Mp3Doctor" ie not found

I am starting to think the only way with this is either to put up with having to click OK to select FS version OR to try and completely uninstall ADE and hope that any files that it uses to determine what is installed are also removed and reinstall and enter all the setup info again (paths etc) BUT I don't want to go down that path (sorry for the pun) if I end up with the same scenerario.

Do you only have FSX installed and if so does ADE still prompt you to select which FS version at startup?

It would have been so much easier if ADE prompted the user (a tick box?) if you want what you selected to be the default like so many other applications do.

Country
us-illinois
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/ade-1-75-6421-production-installer.440925/post-795096

The P3D I installed (filename) is [P3D] Prepar3D v3 Professional Plus 3.3.5.17625

Prepar3d is NOT listed within Revo uninstaller.

When I run the trial version of Revo Pro and select "forced uninstall" and start to type "prepar" it only lists "DataPreparator" ie doesn't find Prepar3D.

If I type "P3D" it lists "Mp3Doctor" ie not found

What I recommend that you look for is any version of the P3D SDK under 'Prepar3d' in the alphabetical list within Revo Uninstaller ;)

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/ade-1-75-6421-production-installer.440925/post-795

I am starting to think the only way with this is either to put up with having to click OK to select FS version OR to try and completely uninstall ADE and hope that any files that it uses to determine what is installed are also removed and reinstall and enter all the setup info again (paths etc) BUT I don't want to go down that path (sorry for the pun) if I end up with the same scenerario.

I think you should give Jon a chance to reply and advise you before doing something so drastic as uninstalling ADE. :alert:

At a minimum, you should plan to back up all ADE *.AD4 and *.BGL project files before any 'forced uninstall' of ADE via Revo Uninstaller.

I doubt you will 'inherit' the same problem after a ADE v1.75x "complete" uninstall / re-install.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/ade-1-75-6421-production-installer.440925/post-795

Do you only have FSX installed and if so does ADE still prompt you to select which FS version at startup?

No; I always have at least FS9 and FSX on all my FS development computers, so I am always prompted to select a version for the ADE session.

GaryGB

Country
australia
What I recommend that you look for is any version of the P3D SDK under 'Prepar3d' in the alphabetical list within Revo Uninstaller
Hi Gary

I have already done that (previous post) - Prepar3d is not listed neither is P3D

I will wait for Jon. All my AD4, BAK, BGL files are written to and stored to different folders on different drives and I back those up fairly regularly.

I did install the latest ADE v01.75.6421 Pro [ver.00.00.6654] and allowed it to 'copy' settings from the previous version (1.7)

Regardless of what you didn't recommend I uninstalled ADE175 (I also have ADE170 installed), then removed the folder from my C: drive (C:/MSFS/FS Design Tools/Airport Design Editor 175) as the uninstall did not remove it, and reinstalled ADE175 again.
On first run it STILL prompted me for which FS version BEFORE I got to the part to IMPORT SETTINGS.
This suggests to me that ADE either must always prompt for which FS version regardless of whether you only have ONE FS installed or not on startup UNLESS there is some dark secret hidden file(s) somewhere which ADE uses.

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
This issue is related to the registry. ADE checks the registry every time it starts. The only place it stores information about versions is in global.ini which is in the main ADE folder. The only thing that it stores is the last version loaded. It will only offer a version in the list if it finds something in the registry. That will be for the sim and not for the SDK.

There is no need to remove folders from inside ADE. In fact you risk stopping it working completely.

I am away from my development computer at the moment but I will check the code used to set installed sim versions and now I know what the rogue version is, I will post the registry entries used to check for P3D v2.

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
OK I checked the source code for presenting P3D v2 as an option in the Version Selector. ADE checks for versions each time it starts. It checks whether it can find a registry entry. It first checks

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

It looks for the subkey SetupPath

1521530757675.png

If it finds that key and the subkey for SetupPath is not empty then it will display the version in the selector. Otherwise it tries:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2 again it looks for SetupPath

If it finds SetupPath in either of these then it will show the Version in the Version Selector. If it does not find these keys or subkeys then it will not show the version in the Version Selector.

ADE searches for FS9, FSX, P3D, P3D v2, P3D v3, and P3D v4. It will list each one that it can find a registry entry (they are different for each version but the process is the same) in the Version Selector. When it does this it will show the last used version in the drop down window. It stores the last used version in Global.ini. It does not store the results of the version checks it makes. It does these fresh each time since it makes no assumptions in advance as to what versions are present on the users computer.

If it finds only one then it will open directly with that version and the version selector will not show. If it finds none then it shows a red version selector.

All the above happens before any reference is made to the settings files in individual version folders - until ADE starts for a particular version it has no idea which settings file and folder set to use.

I have just run a test to see whether ADE behaves properly when it only has one entry (that is start without going through the Version Selector) which it does. I also checked in case P3D v3 could somehow display as P3D v2 in the version selector. I could not make that happen.

There is a way to manually force ADE to display all versions in the list whether present in the registry or not. This is an all or nothing hack and is not relevant since you show only FSX and P3D v2 in you list.

Please check the registry to see if one or other of those entries above are in fact in your registry? If not then I am stumped.

Last edited:
Country
australia
Thanks Jon,

SUCCESS

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2 Did exist in the registry (I don't know how I missed that one but could have used a string to search for which was close but not close enough - I had tried before and annoyed I didn't find it and saved everyone their replies)

I wonder then why Revo Unistaller Pro didn't find it or doesn't it search the registry?

I still do not know how there was an entry for v2 as I only have v3 (now not installed) UNLESS a long time ago I tried v2, uninstalled it and disposed/sold the installation disk and had forgotten that I ever had it. I certainly don't have it anymore.

I have just run ADE 175 and voila I am now NOT prompted to select an FSX version.

Still scratching my head as to how I missed it.

John

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Well that's good news. At some point you must have installed P3D v2 briefly and then forgot. Easy done, I would say

Country
us-illinois
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/ade-1-75-6421-production-installer.440925/post-795107

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2 Did exist in the registry (I don't know how I missed that one but could have used a string to search for which was close but not close enough - I had tried before and annoyed I didn't find it and saved everyone their replies)

I wonder then why Revo Unistaller Pro didn't find it or doesn't it search the registry?

Hi John:

Revo Uninstaller Pro does search the Windows Registry as part of its 'advanced' and 'hunter' search functions. :pushpin:

In addition to RTFM-ing, there is help to be had via some tutorials for use of Revo and some other system level functions in Windows ...here:

https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_how_to.html

IIUC, a critical factor may be use of the correct spelling:

Prepar3D (upper case "D" in '3D')

...when searching for files / folders with Revo or Windows' Regedit

Another helpful key may be searching for 'Lockheed'

...when searching for files / folders with Revo or Windows' Regedit

You may wish to review this thread:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/registry-keys-fsx-fsx-se-p3dv1-p3dv2.432633/

BTW: This search shows how much this FS and P3D Registry string issue has been discussed by others at FSDeveloper: :eek:

https://www.google.com/search?ei=9v....17.1413...0i67k1j0i131k1j0i3k1.0.mQNnvtrXntU

Many thanks to Jon for his nicely detailed explanation of how ADE works at startup with this issue of FS / P3D version configuration. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
australia
Thanks Gary

I must say that I DID check carefully EVERY entry displayed by Revo for ANYTHING which could have been Prepar or Lockheed etc and that is why I asked if Revo looked at the registry as I was 'gob smacked' when I found that entry using regedit.

Anyway it's gone (the registry entry).

John

Country
us-illinois
Hi John:

The Revo Uninstaller manual states in Section 3.4:

"You can enter the full path to the install location of an already uninstalled and not existing program. This is very helpful when you want to find remnants of already uninstalled program.
You must enter the exact name of the program you want to remove, because the name you enter is searched in your system, so if you enter a wrong name you will get wrong results. For example if you want to remove Microsoft Office 2007 you have to enter Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007, and not: Office, MS Office, Microsoft!
"

IIUC, one may need to either enter a path and filename that no longer exists, or one may need to create a "dummy" folder with a "dummy" [filename].exe for the program that has already been uninstalled. :scratchch

That certainly would not be an easy task for one to recall with the precision required for a "Forced Uninstall", especially if considerable time has passed since the program was uninstalled by an "incomplete uninstaller" that deletes folders and files, ...but leaves Registry entries ! :eek:

Glad you were able to find and eliminate the 'orphaned' Windows Registry entry by another means as posted above. :)

GaryGB