• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

ADE and Model (MDL) Files

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Are the MDL files still in their original location? I assume they need to be read by ADE each time it starts. If not, black boxes may appear.

The final guess is that the MDL files are in a location that is not always available to your user name (i.e. your OS is blocking them). Is ADE or the MDL files located within any Program Files folder? If so, your OS may be blocking access. Try starting ADE with Run As Administrator.

Country
germany
Well Tom (@tgibson ) and Roby (@robystar ),

all of you questions are answered in the video I uploaded...

@tgibson : Yes, all the imported .MDL files are (in the video I posted it is the BOX.MDL) are left at the same location. The location is not drive C and yes I do run ADE with Admin rights (can be also seen in the video).

@After compiling the airport, the models appear in the xxx_OBJ.BGL (and xxx_OBJ.XML) and they are also represented in the sim. If I reimport the xxx_OBJ.BGL within ADE's object library, I would also find the "BOX" listed.

Please guys just have a look at the video I posted. It will take you 7 minutes of your time to get all your answers.

Thank you!

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I am still not able to respond properly to this. My flight from the US back to the UK has been delayed for 24 hours. I will check the code but as far as I recall mdl files added to an ADE project should not also need to be added to the library object manager.

Country
germany
Don't worry Jon. You posted before that you are away and can't investigate this.
This thread has unfortunately grown in size, but only a few posts are actualy related to my Q.

Country
unitedkingdom
Gerald,
have you tried the "Library Creator" software? With this you can convert your MDL's to a single library BGL. You put this file into an ACTIVE folder in your sim AND put it into your ADE Library.
Now in ADE, you add your objects into the .ad4 file and compile. Sounds a lot simpler to me!

Country
us-illinois
Hi Gerald:

IMHO, to allow proper troubleshooting of issues reported in this thread by Jon, you should attach here (or link via PM):

Your current ADE version info from: ADE Menu > Help > About (select / copy / paste the version info in that text area)

Additionally, IMO, you should make available your ADE project *.AD4 file and ( all ? ) *.BGLs output by ADE ...for evaluation.

PS: You may also need to provide all the custom *.MDLs in question to test ADE functionality that you cited above.

Although Jon likely already knows how to process P3Dv4.3 version MDLs, for the sake of discussion here, please state what numeric version of SDK XtoMDL was used to compile the MDLs in question and whether it was done using MSFS or P3D SDK. :pushpin:

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
germany
Hello Gary,

ADE Version is:
Application 01.76.6715.14291
Engine 04.75.6712.18978

The Project (from the video) was practicaly a new DEMO project to show the issue. I just opened a small stock airport "LRAR" and placed a demo model in it (the model is a simple BOX with no textures at all).

As attachment I provide you the AD4 file, the BOX as .MDL and the 2 properly created and functioning .BGL files.

The path to my XtoMDL is: G:\Prepar3D SDK\Modeling\3ds Max\3DSM2018_x64\Plugins\XtoMDL.exe (yes this is the lates v4.3 SDK).
The version of the XtoMDL is 4.3.29.25520

Attachments

• LRAR_ADEP4_GK.ad4
    19.3 KB · Views: 154
  • BOX.mdl
    1.7 KB · Views: 200
  • LRAR_ADEP4_GK.bgl
    6.3 KB · Views: 194
  • LRAR_ADEP4_GK_OBJ.bgl
    3.6 KB · Views: 202
Country
germany
Gerald,
have you tried the "Library Creator" software? With this you can convert your MDL's to a single library BGL. You put this file into an ACTIVE folder in your sim AND put it into your ADE Library.
Now in ADE, you add your objects into the .ad4 file and compile. Sounds a lot simpler to me!

OT: No I have not tested it but i like the sound of it (didn't know such SW exists). Thank you!
BR, Gerald

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I am now home and I have viewed the video. It is clear that saving and loading the project from ADE loses the reference to the model in this case. At the moment I don't know why. It is not something that is being reported by others - although I seem to recall past instances.

I will conduct some tests myself to see if it replicates for me. I will let you know what the outcome is.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
OK - one immediate finding is that when I load the project file provided above the model is present in this project and displays normally for me. I have done nothing but open the project file.

1541859515977.png

ADE correctly reports that the source file specified is not found. But ADE does store the model entry correctly in the project

The placed model is shown correctly in the main display

1541859628136.png

Of course this should not compile correctly due to the missing mdl file

1541859692241.png

So everything at this point is working as I would expect. I will now remove the model and placement data to see if I can replicate the original problem. Please note that at no point will I add the model from the OBX file into the Library Object Manager. This should not require to be done and if the problem can be replicated then there is a bug in ADE which is being circumvented by loading into the LOM.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
OK I have replicated the problem simply by
  • first removing the model placement and then the model from the model list and saving the modified project.
  • then reloading the project; adding the box.mdl into the Model List
  • Saving that project with the model in
  • Reloading the saved project and finding no model in the Model List.
There is obviously some sort of bug which I need to track

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
One list initial finding. If I add the box mdl file a second time into List > Models it seems to stick. It is there after saving. This makes no sense at all but........

Country
scotland
Hi Jon

I have used your program from day one.
I usually add models to projects with Instant Scenery but to try and assist here I have followed the procedure set out in the first post of this thread in adding a model to an airfield I am currently working on. I have compiled and saved the project and closed ADE down. On restarting ADE the model is present on the airfield and is included in the 'Models' list and is present in the sim also. Ade has been closed again and on re-opening everything is still as it should be. In other words I don't see this problem at all.

Iain

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I think Jon is saying you must add it, place it, remove it from both the airport and the list, save it, reload the project, add it again, and then save it. Upon reload it will be gone.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Correct Tom, however this is not reliably replicable so I need to check the code. I have it stick sometimes on the first save and other times not. I don't know the actual steps (if any) to replicate it reliably.