• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

ADE and PR backgrounds

Country
newzealand
I want to use a PR background with a stock FSX airstrip. It's just a small rural strip. In FSX it has single runway, parking apron and four parking spots defined.

Whats the best method of maintaining everything about the runway - nodes, paths etc and especially AI activity, while making the runway invisible so I just see the PR background ?
I've kinda achieved what I want by giving the runway a 0 width but keeping the taxiway (changed to 'Path' type rather than 'Runway') it's default width. I see no runway but I'm not sure the AI is still working.
So is there a proper or 'approved' way of doing what I want ie just make the runway invisible while keeping all it's functionality.

TIA
Crankpin

Country
unitedkingdom
Right click on the runway, and get rid of texture (asphalt/concrete etc.).

You just have the runway (or taxiways/ aprons etc.) "lines" defined. Then your image should show through just fine.

It is the same way to get runways on water.

Country
newzealand
Thanks for your reply.
Let me check for understanding, because I don't quite understand 'get rid of texture'.
So I right click on the runway and select 'Edit Object' from the context menu -- yes ?
Then in the Runway properties dialog I open the runway surface chooser, but there's no 'None' or 'Blank' or such choice to 'get rid of texture' .... but there is 'Water' and that seems to give the right effect ie I can't see a runway.
Is that what you meant ? Use Water as 'texture/runway type' ?

TIA
John

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I am not sure there is any way to remove the texture surface of a runway but leave the markings.

Country
newzealand
Hi ScruffyDuck thanks for your reply, I've just started using ADE ...been using 'another tool' but won't anymore you've done a great job.

No it's not the markings I want to maintain, just the 'workings' ie taxiways, startpoints and especially AI dependant bits, just want to make the runway/taxiway surface textures invisible so the PhotoReal background runway shows and AI keeps working.

Using a surface choice of 'Water' seems to do the job..... just wondering if there may be any strange affects.
So Scruffy, from the inside does a surface of 'Water' affect anything other than give the runway no surface texture ... because that'd be just magic.

TIA
John

Country
newzealand
Hmmmmm the runway part is working for the AI but I do seem to be having some issues having changed some of the taxipaths to apron paths, to not have a texture.
Incoming AI seems fine .. lands and taxi to parking seem fine. Aircraft that start at a parking spot/start point though, just blink out of existance when they are triggered to start.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I am sure there is a way. One of the real developers will know (I am just the programmer here ;))

Country
newzealand
Through a process of elimination, the AI problem, that is AI will land and taxi in but won't taxi out and take off when I change the runway to Water.
Thats the culprit, the Water runway.
Bugger.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Yep, I told you it would get you in trouble...

Try making a concrete runway very narrow (around 1 ft wide) - it will not be visible.

Hope this helps,

Country
newzealand
When I make the runway any narrower than 3.3 ft or 1.0m the compiler throws a fit and won't compile. As I understand it FSX will not allow runways of < 1.0m in either dimension.
Please tell me I'm wrong but only if I am.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
The MS Compilers do not allow runways less than 1 meter wide.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Hmmm - I thought that was a limitation.....................

Also note

The ATC Engine does not function properly with a zero width runway. No problem if you don't use ATC or if it is a very small airport.

ATC needs runway width to know when the plane has landed (based on gear contact points).

The MS Compilers do not allow runways less than 1 meter wide.

Jon

True :)

Less then 1M (.9) long and 1M (.9) wide or what I call a postage stamp runway.

I used 10 x 10 ft. of runway in the Xwind part of ADE to get a compile

INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2499: Runway length must be > 3.3 and < 50000.0 Feet.
INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2031: Failed element parse <Runway>
INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2032: XML Parse Error! Element tree follows:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
You might have to use AFX or AFCAD, which don't have this limitation...