• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX ADE Crosswind runways

Country
us-california
HI
I'm Leslie and I have question about crosswind runways. I have tried to add crosswind runways to KJAX
based on Jim Whicker Basic Crosswind Runway Tutorial. I copied his sample line for line. did a compile
and I get no compile errors, but no crosswind activity at all, no matter what time of day or weather
conditions. They are listed in FSX and ADE, but seem to be ignored. Can anyone help me?

Runway list should look like this

fsscr032.jpg

Country
us-california
Hi Jim
Thanks for the reply. I'm showing runways at KJAX 13/31 and 07/25 as real runways. In your sample you have runways 14/32 and 08/26 as real runways.
I know I have something wrong. What can I do to make my airport correct.
Thanks again
Leslie

Country
newzealand
Leslie,
that's because the runway numbers were changed in 2011 due to the magnetic variation
so you need to change the runway numbers, and not forgetting to update the approaches in "Approach Mode" to the new numbers
then you will have it look like Jim's example
get back here if you need any more help

Country
us-california
I changed the runway numbers while in approach mode, that went just find. However after compiling and starting FSX and going to KJAX all aircraft are sent to runway 26.
Still no crosswind activity, also the crosswind runways were changed to hard runways.

Last edited:
Country
newzealand
Does your list look like Jim's? not sure what you mean by "Hard" are they another surface?
when you clicked on the menu/runways did you add the fake runways by clicking on "Add Xwind"
if you did then the fake runways will automatically be ice and placed at the North Pole!
an easy test to see if the both runways are activated: boot up FSX go to KJAX,
when you are sitting on the runway, bring up ATIS and see if all 9 runways are being called out.......
might pay to upload your ad4 file so we can look at it, is it made with the latest version of ADE?

Country
us-california
I setup KJAX Just like the one you sent to me. Changed runway numbers, added crosswind runways and still all flights in and out are only using runways 26.
The runways list is showing I have 9 runways, no compile problems, made sure that my real runways are all active. I must be missing something.
1. get stock airport
2. make runway number changes
3. add crosswind runways
4. compile airport
5. save airport

Last edited:
Country
newzealand
and did you try this?
"when you are sitting on the runway, bring up ATIS and see if all 9 runways are being called out"
this will tell you if all 9 runways are active!

Country
us-california
I did try sitting on the runway and bring up ATIS and the only runway ATIS talks about is runway 26, as if no other runway is there.

Country
newzealand
Then I'm sorry your runway setup is probably not correct if ATIS does not call out all 9 runways
this is why only 26 is in use...............
did you start this airport from stock or is it some-one else's file?
can you show us a pic of your runway setup the same as Jim's pic in post 2
or upload your ad4 file so that some-one can take a look at it, as we seem to be going around in circles..................

Last edited:

GHD

Country
england
I am also having problems with X-Winds.

At EDDK I have the following runways:

ATIS mentions only 14L, 14R and 13:

With the wind at 48, a Lear at P24 (as shown) is ordered to take off on 14R even though it is nearer to 06 and 06/24 is longer than 14R/32L:

No AI takes-off or lands on 06/24.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

GHD

Country
england
I tried with the wind at 240 and they still wouldn't use Rwy 24 even though it has an ILS.

Aha, there is no approach for ILS 24, the default is 25.

What do I do?

Country
us-virginia
Perplexing indeed. Does anybody know the logic FSX uses when selecting runways? Obviously wind direction is the main factor (although from above one would think that the visual approaches would have taken RWY 24). What else?

I've noticed that when you set wind to "Calm" FSX will pick the Lowest numbered runway. Some airports, KSAN for example (09/27), probably stay on the higher numbered runway for other factors - terrain. Given that knowledge, the brute force, inelegant solution is to turn off TO or Landing for certain runways (in lowest to highest order), albeit it does not solve the underlying problem described above.

GHD

Country
england
If I close 14L/32R and 14R/32L, AI will use 06/24.

I deleted (orphaned) the ILS on the default 07/25 and deleted the approaches. Added an ILS and approach on 06/24. This made no difference, AI will not use 06/24.

GHD

Country
england
All sorted thanks to Ray.

The problem was that the approaches for 06/24 were for the default 07/25.

Country
us-california
HI
the file I'm using is the .BGL file created after the ADE compile.
These are the pic's I have I hope this iron out the problem for me.
Thanks
ADE1.png
ADE1.png ADE2.png

GHD

Country
england
You will need to change the approaches to match your new runway numbers.

HI
the file I'm using is the .BGL file created after the ADE compile.

Leslie

Please DO NOT open the compiled bgl file. You always open the .ad4 project file to view and work on your airport. If by chance you accidently save your airport with the bgl file open you loose alot of data needed for other enhancements to the airport.

You renumbered runway 07 and 13 to the correct numbers. Did you change all the approaches to match the new runway numbers?

EDIT-----------

I cross posted

Country
us-california
Hi jvile
attached is my navaid list from my .ad4 file.

Attachments

• ADE3.png
    ADE3.png
    340.7 KB · Views: 654
  • ADE3.png
    ADE3.png
    340.7 KB · Views: 754
Country
newzealand
not the navaid list, you need to make the changes in the "Approach Mode" as i suggested in post 4!
see the pic...........
in Approach Mode click on Lists/Approaches you need to change these to the new numbers
For Example: the pic shows the ILS for 07. on the top right change this, and also the second CF down "approachlegCF" change the Fix ident
then go through the list until you have corrected all of them, some will be slightly different how you change them...........

Attachments

• kjax.JPG
    kjax.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 655