ADE doesn't work on addon airports!

Hello folks,

When I've making some modifications in ADE on a standard FSX airport everything works fine. But when I do that on a addon airport like Mega Airport Paris ADE doesn't keep my changes in FSX. :(
What should I do?

welcome to the forum brflyer,
this will depend on what changes you are making and how, which version of ADE are you using?.......
are you modifying a Mega Paris airport file or are you adding your own to their airport?
where are you placing your modified file?
is your file above the Mega airport in the FSX settings priority list at all?
some more information will help us to help you :)

tgibson

Resource contributor
Make sure you are compiling your ADE addon airport BGL file into a Scenery Layer *higher* than the addon airport layer. The Addon Scenery/scenery folder is usually a lower layer and will not work. I normally place it into the same folder as the addon airport BGL files, and rename the original AFD BGL file by adding .orig to it to inactivate it.

Hope this helps,

Currently I'm using the version 01.55.4805. I am just making some modifications
in the parking properties to set radius and airline codes.
At the end of my changes I save ad3 file into the Addon Scenery/Scenery/LFPG folder. Then I open the ad3 file and compile the file also into the LFPG folder.
Now I've got the ad3 and BGL file.
Afterwards I overwrite the BGL file with "APX48140.bgl" and move that BGL file
into the Scenery/0601/Scenery folder where ADE found the airport. Of course I make a Backup of the standard APX48140.bgl file.
So I can see my modifications in FSX only on FSX standard airports on Addon Airports I can't see my changes.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Currently I'm using the version 01.55.4805. I am just making some modifications
in the parking properties to set radius and airline codes.
At the end of my changes I save ad3 file into the Addon Scenery/Scenery/LFPG folder. Then I open the ad3 file and compile the file also into the LFPG folder.
Now I've got the ad3 and BGL file.
Afterwards I overwrite the BGL file with "APX48140.bgl" and move that BGL file
into the Scenery/0601/Scenery folder where ADE found the airport. Of course I make a Backup of the standard APX48140.bgl file.
So I can see my modifications in FSX only on FSX standard airports on Addon Airports I can't see my changes.
OUCH!

I am OK until you replace a stock file - you must not do that...... If you do this then you are moving your changes into the stock folders. Any file that loads after these will replace the airport.

If you are modifying an addon airport then first do not do anything with stock files.

The easiest way to deal with this is to load the addon file into ADE. Then make your changes and save the .ad3 file (this does not need to go into FS since the sim does not understand the ADE project file format)

Now comes the tricky bit. You need to understand the priority order that FS uses to load files. You also need to understand that the last file to load will always be the one to trump all the others. So any file containing that airport will that loads before your file will be ignored. Any file containing that airport that loads after your file will basically wipe out your changes.

It seems most likely that you are making changes to an addon airport and saving your Bgl file into Addon Scenery\scenery. However you are not removing the original addon file and it is loading after your revised file in Addon Scenery\scenery. Thus your work is wasted since the original file is the one that FS reads last and uses.

I would use something like Simple Airport Scanner to find out which file FS is actually using.

You have a couple of choices. First leave the original file alone but make sure that your modified file is in a folder that loads after the addon scenery. Chances are that this is currently not true. Alternatively you can remove the original Addon Bgl file (best done by moving it to a folder away from FS - don NOT just delete it)

Finally I must reiterate that you must not mess about with stoick files either moving them, replacing them or any other such thing - you are really at risk of wiping out huge swathes of airports from FS.

If you do not understand the priority system used by FS for loading airports then please ask...........

brflyer,

Very simply said; yes, with FS2004 you had to modify the stock files.

NOT with FSX. There you just export your new airport, and the keep it higher than any other addon airport with the same ICAO code in the FSX library. You do NOT need to modify stock files no more. Is what I love about FSX :D

Cheers,
:stirthepo

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Andrew - as I recall it was FS2002 and earlier that needed stock file mods. FS2004 and later use the airport delete record flags and so stock files should not be modified................