P3D v4 ADE fails to store airport

Running the current ADE version 1.76.6715.14291
After several mods followed each time with a compile (no save), run P3Dv4.4, slew to check mods, then repeat this process "N" number of times (I have to experiment now to find the "n" value), ADE stops storing storing the airport (store airport as). It goes thru the motions, reports the airport has been stored, updates the "Recent Files" but never lays down the airport ADE file.
Tested with moving the assigned file location to another drive, still did not store the file, yet ADE indicates "Airport Stored".
I am running ADE as well as P3D from an SSD. I have pointed ADE to store the airport on another drive (SSD) with the same result.
The only thing that corrects this situation is to exit ADE and restart. All of the failed stores (I changed the name for each test store) are listed in "Recent files" and by selecting any of them, ADE reports it cannot find the named file.
I am working on a significantly large airport design of KDFW. The compiled bgl is 35,471 KB.
Most willing to share ALL to help resolve.
Thanks in advance.
Lemon

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I don't understand what you are doing or why. It sounds like you are repeatedly using Save As instead of Save but why would you do that?

Jon, I only use "save as" when I wish to change the version of my work. The problem I tried to detail happens after and significant number of times doing changes, then a compile, then loading P3Dv4, slew to the areas of change to validate/verify (both daylight and nightime), then back to additional changes and compiles, etc. Only after the additions / mods to the airport do I so a "SAVE"...not "SAVE AS" unless I am completely happy with the work OR I dont wish to overlay the original version I opened with ADE so as to have a backup. (aka: create a new version). All the time ADE has been started (1) time and it is not uncommon for ADE to be active for a period of 4 or more hours of work with this particular ADE design (KDFW).
Am most willing to try to gather whatever info you might find of value. Is there any sort of logging file that is kept or can be started, jic?
This issue does not appear to happen unless I have had ADE up and running for a single long period of time.
Thanks in advance.
Lemon

Jon, many thanks. I have a feeling, reading thru a number of blogs that due to recent MS updates to W10 (starting back in May/June), W10 may be the root cause. It has happened rarely, but in looking back, I first experienced it in the June timeframe.
I found that neither the "backup ada" nor the final "ada" file were saved...so prior to me selecting "Save Airport", all of the interim "*.bak" saves, never were laid down.
Will try to backtrap thru the MS logs for the last time it happened and see if anything pops out.
Put this "a long ways back, on the burner" for now. I believe the fault is with MS.
Before I close and without opening another Post, I also get random "Out of Memory" fails with ADE. Selecting the "send the log file" goes no place. Sometimes I can cancel out and all is still save able, else ADE bails and I go back to the last save. Any insight as to ADE's reporting of "out of memory"? I am running W10 64-bit on a 32GB machine.
Thanks again
Lemon

P.S. Jon, I have read a number of posts (yours and others) on this topic going back some years and understand the likes of getmem and freemem allocations. I would like to be able to send you the info on the failure, but clicking the send radio button on the out of memory widget simply fails. Is the log file saved "anyway", so I could find it and send it...or are we just trying to nail jello to a post, given the many factors mentioned associated with .NET, etc.?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Out of Memory errors are not related directly to the amount of memory that you have on your computer. Each application gets allocated a certain amount of memory by the OS. If that is used then the OOM arises. Also in some cases contiguous (all together chunk) memory is required for some things and if the App cannot find a big enough chunk of continuous memory for an operation then it throws an OOM. Some graphic functions in the OS are badly behaved and will throw an OOM even though that is not the underlying issue. Sadly there are a lot of possible factors as you suggest. However large project files are going to be at greater risk than smaller ones and most OOMs come from the ADE graphics engine. This is third party and OS code. Short of changing the graphics engine which is not practical OOMs are going to happen.

Lemon,
just a thought - are you installing your sim in the Primary C: drive? This can cause problems so, if this is the case, try installing to a separate drive if you have one (preferably an SSD device).

Hi, Lemon,
From my own experience with ADE, as I am a true barefoot and noob on it...
I am working on a project where I do have to go often from ADE to simulator and back (understand modifying the scenery library each time to free the worked area into P3D4, then insert back the modified bgl's folder into the scenery library), and have not had any issues.
My simulator and related programs are all installed outsite the Programs(x86) or Programs folders, into folders installed at the root of the drives, named here "Prepar3D v4" and "Flight Sim Utilities".
When creating a new airport, I am saving the first draft using the "Save Airport as" menu item, to get and .ad4 file (a project file). Each time I change or rework my airport, I just "Save Airport" (ADE knows where the project is located, so no worries. You get then a new .ad4 files PLUS a .bak file which I understand to be the previous version of your project. And then, I compile the airport. No issues of any sort, and no OOM.
When "saving as", "saving" or "compiling", you always have the choice to change the path of the destination folder, but I usually keep all my stuff into the P34/Projects/(my subfolder for the WIP area), from where I then copy & paste the bgl into the active scenery folder.
Just my 2 cents....
Blue skies

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Just something else to be aware of. ADE project files are zipped before being saved, so the project size in memory will generally be bigger than on disk.

I am running P3D v4.4.16.27077, P3D SDK 4.4.16.27106, and ADE 01.76.6715, all path settings into ADE pointing to the proper locations, and have no issues at all...
What is the location of your P3D, and which SDK where?
Blue skies

I am running P3D v4.4.16.27077, P3D SDK 4.4.16.27106, and ADE 01.76.6715, all path settings into ADE pointing to the proper locations, and have no issues at all...
What is the location of your P3D, and which SDK where?
Blue skies
4.4 sdk and my v4 is in C:\Prepar3D v4\ and the error is AS.to..... :(

Sorry, not getting it for the error AS.to
P3D is outside of the Microsoft "controlled" aeas, therefore OK
What about ADE? also out of the Programs (x86) or Programs folders?

Lemon,
just a thought - are you installing your sim in the Primary C: drive? This can cause problems so, if this is the case, try installing to a separate drive if you have one (preferably an SSD device).
Nope, both P3Dv3 and P3Dv4 are stored and run on separate drives. ADE, however, is on my Primary C: drive.
I would mention that all 3 of the drives involved in this reply are SSDs (500GB, Samsung EVO's).
Many thanks!
Lemon

You can send me the log: https://scruffyduck.screenstepslive...8/l/263713-how-do-i-send-you-the-ade-log-1-65 but ADE uses standard internal Windows file management code so I am not sure anything will show up.
Jon, there is another noticed and maybe related happening and thats with the length of time P3D takes to fully "exit" the Win10 environment. I certainly have notice P3D "performance" issues if I have loaded, run, exited, ADE modify, compile, load...etc." P3D (or I would rather suspect Win.) has not done a good job of garbage collection (pure guess on my part). I say this due to the changes we all see in the W10 update of late, wherein MS believes (apparently) that they need to look after the running apps, even though there was a full administrator invoked "shutdown". This is notice with P3D, when one powers on the machine and P3D loads up during boot up. Several comments across the net have spoken to this..just because the P3D widget disappears from the task bar upon "exiting", doesnt mean it is completely gone...and windows auto restarts it on the next boot. I apologize for making a quantum leap into this without all the facts, but I do notice P3D running degradation after a number of the ADE, mod, compile, run P3D, test, exit P3D....and then repeat cycles. I find just shutting down / restarting is the best garbage collection process versus trying to reinvent the wheel with MS.
Just a view from the cheap seats.
Thanks!
Lemon

I assume that if Windows restarts P3D on the next boot, something has gone wrong in your PC.
When the P3D icon vanishes from the task bar, yes, P3D is still completing its shutdown, but I assume the OS is "intelligent" enough to find out that a process is still running.
You may possibly check your windows update options. I do not remember how I came to that, but on my PC, I am notified that an update has been downloaded, but the update is not auto-starting. As far as I can remember, I get the update process started when I want to shut the PC down, and I let the update run, selecting the option to shut power off once the update has done its job.

Other direction... I can not speak for P3Dv3, as it is gone since a while out of my PC, but with P3Dv4, to which location are you compiling your modified airports or scenery? Straight into P3D core folders, into a specific scenery folder created by you, inside P3D main folder, or outside?
When adding scenery into the sim, you can point to any location you wish on your PC.

If you compile, or copy/paste a fresh new amended airport to your so to say "My own scenery" folder, you do not need to exit P3D. Just go to the scenery library, untick your "My own scenery" area, then click on OK. P3D will recheck and amend your scenery.cfg accordingly. Go back to the scenery library, and tick back your own scenery addons folder. P3D will rebuild the scenery.cfg and include your addition.
If you now compile, or copy/paste a new version of an already modified airport to your own scenery addons folder, you also do not need to exit P3D. Go to the scenery library, untick your "My own scenery" area, and click on OK. P3D will recheck and amend your scenery.cfg accordingly, and will then "unblock" the previous version of your modified airport. You have the messages about rebuilding the scenery etc..., and when you get the new window stating that P3D is loading the terrain, etc..., you know you can place your new version into the target folder.
Then back to the scenery library, and ticking again your own addon scenery folder. P3D will rebuild the scenery structure, and you can place your aircraft at the fresh new airport version, without exiting completely the simulator each time.

I just hope the above is clear enough, as english is not my mother language, but I have been experimenting by relocating some airports, or creating some waterdromes, to fit precisely into ORBX Vector, and made sometimes numerous "to and back" between ADE and P3D to get the placements and visuals I was looking for. But all my addons (aircrafts or scenery) are outside P3D itself, so unticking or ticking an area is very easy for me.

Just my 2 cents...

Blue skies

You can send me the log: https://scruffyduck.screenstepslive...8/l/263713-how-do-i-send-you-the-ade-log-1-65 but ADE uses standard internal Windows file management code so I am not sure anything will show up.
Jon, I tried to do as you instructed. The log file send failed with "OOM". I have attached the screen shot.
I have been able to reproduce the "fails to store airport" problem using the following steps:
1. Start ADE for P3Dv4
2. Load my KDFW ADE (called KDFW_ADEX_LAL_v4_7.ad4)
3. Select multiple "parking spots" with the shift key down
4. Select "copy objects"
5. Load another KDFW ADE (called KDFW_ADEX_LAL_v2_4NEW.ad4)
6. Paste the Objects (Parking Spots), with the shift key down
7. With the shift key down, Move / reposition these same objects into position
8. Add jetways
9. "Save Airport As" (using the very same name KDFW_ADEX_LAL_v2_4NEW.ad4
10. ADE states "Airport Saved"
11. Check the P34 projects file for this update (time stamp)...NO CHANGE, it was not stored.
12. Execute another "Save Airport As" only point ADE to an entirely different disk.
13. ADE states "Airport Saved"
14. Check the new location, nothing has been saved/stored.
Got to TOOLS and select "Send Log", enter my email address and a short (much shorter than here) comment and Enter.
ADE reports the log failed to send due to an out of memory issue (see attached pic)

Now, just tell me what I am doing wrong. Am I violating the ADE arch.
Your expertise and insight is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Lemon

Attachments