• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Ade-gp 0.0.38

GHD

Country
england
Continuing the search for differences in lat/long bedtween ADE and the GP editor, I decided on a systematic approach.

Starting with a taxiway network in which I can add nodes and straghten links, I created a series of boxes:

I then locked every node on the taxiway network so that they couldn't move. Then, created polylines and carefully copied/pasted the taxiway nodes to the polylines:

However, if I try to edit the polylines I get an error (see later post)

Last edited:

GHD

Country
england
Don,

Could you please recheck the "Reset" button operation?

I used it on my 5 sided polygon to attempt to remove the texture mapping but it didn't.

So, starting from scratch, I redrew the polygon and using only 'resize' with a final move of the two point opposite side, I got a reasonable representation:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
George

Are the taxi lines coincident in ADE with FSX in your first posr above? We need to be sure if the method used by ADE to generate coordinates is giving an error or whether the problem lies with the GP objects.

Also it would be nice to see if the same problem is present in FS9. If it is not then we can be pretty sure that the issue is in the corrections needed to handle the round earth model in FSX.

GHD

Country
england
Are the taxi lines coincident in ADE with FSX in your first posr above? We need to be sure if the method used by ADE to generate coordinates is giving an error or whether the problem lies with the GP objects.

I would say they are pretty much spot-on:

Also it would be nice to see if the same problem is present in FS9. If it is not then we can be pretty sure that the issue is in the corrections needed to handle the round earth model in FSX.

I would rather not test in FS9 since it adds data files to all scenery areas which messes up my defragmentation. Perhaps Tom might like to try it.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
OK- thanks George. Hopefully Tom can carry out a test :)

fs9 on 0037

fs9gplines.jpg

Same happens in FS9 (90º true, 3500 ft taxiway, shift =12 ft to the east)

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks Roby

So on that basis it seems to be something in the way that the GP Library handles coordinates or the way ADE sends them to the library

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
So on that basis it seems to be something in the way that the GP Library handles coordinates or the way ADE sends them to the library
I hope to have a "handle" on that later today. My suspicions are that ADE is using a flat-earth model to calculate lat/lon from X/Y offset from ARP but that the GP Editor handles those quantities with round earth computation.

A way to find out before I get around to it would be to create two identical objects, one close to the ARP, the other some distance away (>1nm) and check vertex offsets when the user A/C is positioned over vertices on the ADE display.

Should that prove to be the case, Jon, there a couple possible solutions which don't involve changes in ADE.
Don

GHD

Country
england
I think my upload is faulty,

After setting all of the vertices to the lat/long of the taxiways, I cannot edit the GP polys.

Send home message sent.

Can Jon please look at the attached project and see whether it is recoverable? If not, I have an awful lot of work to repeat :(

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
George, that is an internal GP editor issue and will not have affected ADE (unless an issue in ADE caused it, of course)

Don

GHD

Country
england
Thanks Don.

I deleted all of the polylines and recreated them. I then set the vertices to the same as the taxiway nodes. As soon as I try to edit, I get that error.

There is nothing wrong with the uploaded ADE file.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
So you don't need me to check the file George?

GHD

Country
england
So you don't need me to check the file George?

No, as far as I can tell, the ADE file is OK.

I can compile it but the polylines are as they were initially created. I cannot edit the polylines after their vertices have been moved.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Note that I am getting this same error, in my GP Texture Editor thread. I assume you have not touched the GP Texture Editor? If not, then it appears it may be related to the GP Editor and not the GP Texture Editor as I suspected?

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Version 0.0.09, just posted, fixes the exception. It was due to something I broke yesterday when making changes to accommodate horizontally-oriented line patterns. (I copied a line of code that didn't work properly in its new location.)

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
After running only a few tests, it definitely appears that there is an issue between how ADE calculates lat/lon and how ADE_GP uses thouse quantities. But, I'm not sure it's due to flat-earth vs round-earth.

When an object is located close to the ARP and the aircraft is located directly over a corner of the object in FSX, there is little or no offset between the corresponding vertex and the aircraft on the ADE display. When an object is located distant from the ARP and the aircraft is located directly over a corner of the object in FSX, there is a significant difference between the aircraft and the vertex on the ADE display.

In the test case, the distant object was about 600m from the ARP, and the difference was about 1.3 m. That's far more that I would expect from round-earth/flat-earth. What make it even more curious is that the offset is only in the X-plane, i.e., longitude (as George's ellipse example yesterday demonstrates). In the Y-plane, there was no discernable offset.

Now that I know what I'm looking for, my next step is to check the longitude conversions in ADE-GP and run a few tests.

More later.

Don