ADE-GP Don's back - New thread

It's still not quite correct Don.

I deleted the two cross-hatched polys, copied/pasted one of the solid colours then edited them to use cross-hatch. I resized both in the GP editor and there are 'wiggles' in FSX:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Both issues are repeatable. The yellow one may be as good as it's going to get. These are very large areas.

As for the red one, it would seem the triangulation routine is still not perfect.

I've got some other business I must attend to today, so it may be tomorrow before I have a fix.

Don

tgibson

Resource contributor
Hi again,

Welcome back, Don. :)

Using 0.33 and 4853.

Generally works just fine for me, for my relatively simple things. Nice job!

1. Created ground polygon with outline edge. Looks fine in FS. Then added a vertex to that polygon in ADE. Moved that vertex. GP Editor never came up, and changes are not translated to FS. Right click/Edit Object when on the vertex gives only the Vertex Properties box. Choosing the entire polygon and then Properties brings up the GP Editor with the proper shape. After clicking OK shows up in FS just fine.

2. Copying a line and pasting it does not bring up the GP Editor, and the line doesn't appear in FS until you bring up the Editor manually.

Perhaps there should be a mechanism for automatically bringing up the GP Editor after changes? But I don't know how this should be invoked? I realize it would be annoying to bring up the editor after each change. I thought about after losing focus, but that's the only way I can judge the shape of a line as I'm adjusting it, since the lines are so fat while editing the vertices. I guess I'll just have to get into the habit of manually bringing up the editor after any changes. :)

Thanks,

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Perhaps there should be a mechanism for automatically bringing up the GP Editor after changes?
Tom, I think that's a judgement call on Jon's part. After many changes of the type you note, there is no need for editing, and opening and having to manually close the editor each time could be a major annoyance. Jon, you might want to jump in here.

Nonetheless, there changes should be carried through to FS. To accomplish this, just before compile ADE sends each object to the editor for a "silent edit" to ensure all such changes are processed -which, based on your report, doesn't seem to be effective.

Something else for me to check. (As I noted in an earlier post, I'm otherwise occupied today)

It would be great to have a texture adding utility too.
As George notes in the following post, there is such a utility, accessed from the ADE Tools menu (GP Texture Editor). George also indicates it doesn't work, but that's the only such report I've seen.

George, perhaps you could be a little more specific.

Don

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
What brings up the editor is a matter for discussion. I think the current conclusion is that if you make a change then you call the editor - otherwise for example dragging. moving etc could result in the editor opening.

I am however open to any suggested rules on the conditions for the editor to be opened by ADE.

tgibson

Resource contributor
I have the same problem. When I add a 24 bit texture to the Textures_dpy folder and a DXT3 texture with the same name to the Textures folder I don't see the new texture appear in the texture listing of the GP Texture Editor. This is even after a restart of ADE.

Hope this helps,

I can confirm that because I just tried it this afternoon (a 16 bit dtx in the textures, a 24 bit in the textures_dpy) and the GP texture editor does not show it.

gadgets

Resource contributor
George, the "mystery of the bends in the yellow cross-hatched area is, I think, solved.

It appears you copied the bottom left poly to make the yellow cross-hatched poly and that this poly had been resized at some earlier point with the faulty resizing software. That distortion was carried over into the yellow cross-hatch.

If you instead copy the second area and use it as the source for the yellow cross-hatch, the lines appear perfectly straight. (I presume the second area was a copy of the first. If so, I understand why the distortion ends there, but I won't go into the long-winded explanation. Please take my word for it and give it a try.)

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
The "mystery" of the red cross-hatched area is now solved, too. It is due to the poly being wound clockwise. Unfortunately solving the mystery is easier than fixing the issue.

I thought I'd implemented a fix for that before leaving on vacation but, it seems, I didn't.

Jon, rather than me having to invent something, could you either:
  • ensure that poly winding is always CCW, or
  • provide me with some code to do that, please.
Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Thanks, George. I was using the cross-product method for ensuring individual triangles are wound CCW, but I didn't realize the same could be used for a variable-number-of-points poly. It's now implemented and the red cross-hatched poly now displays properly.

This new release also includes the fix for the texture editor.

Tom, Jon:
1. Created ground polygon with outline edge. Looks fine in FS. Then added a vertex to that polygon in ADE. Moved that vertex. GP Editor never came up, and changes are not translated to FS. Right click/Edit Object when on the vertex gives only the Vertex Properties box. Choosing the entire polygon and then Properties brings up the GP Editor with the proper shape. After clicking OK shows up in FS just fine.

2. Copying a line and pasting it does not bring up the GP Editor, and the line doesn't appear in FS until you bring up the Editor manually.
Tom, I was able to duplicate the first issue. Didn't bother with the second since it's almost certainly due to the same cause.

Jon, this issue appears to be in your ballpark. ADE does send the modified poly to the editor for a "silent edit" prior to compile, and the editor "does it's thing". However, it seems ADE does not save the results of the silent edit since the compile message still contains the unedited poly. I confirmed that the editor did return the updated data.

We're getting there, guys!

Don

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Folks

I am out today but tomorrow we are expecting rain! I plan to set the day aside to work on the beta and I will look at the issues raised against ADE.

We're getting there, guys!
Well, almost :D

I edited all of the polygons and saved to ensure that everything was updated before a compile.

The red X-hatch now seems ok, but the yellow one has varying thickness lines:

I still have problems with positioning inside the dialog, but I'll create another thread.

After the above, I deleted and re-created the polygon. Now it displays fine.

I thought all I needed to do was re-enter the GP editor to re-create the texture mapping but apparently when it is incorrect, it stays incorrect even after editing :confused:

Folks

I am out today but tomorrow we are expecting rain! I plan to set the day aside to work on the beta and I will look at the issues raised against ADE.
Jon,

Can you also revisit the "Save Airport" option please?

Nine times out of ten is displays the "Save as" dialog. It seems to be dependent on the last operation performed before the save.