• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

ADE-GP Don's back - New thread

GHD

Country
england
The GP editor seems fine, but I think there is a triangulation problem:

ADE file attached.

Last edited:

GHD

Country
england
In ADE, it is impossible to select a GP at zoom-level 13.66 except by rubber-band selection.

I can select a boundary fence and guide-line but not a GP.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
In ADE, it is impossible to select a GP at zoom-level 13.66 except by rubber-band selection.

I can select a boundary fence and guide-line but not a GP.

presumably because it is too small? I planned to make Ctrl+A work for GPs as well as things like aprons but I don't think I implemented it yet in the beta.

GHD

Country
england
I have no idea how I got into this situation, but there was no escape :eek:

Clicking "OK" then "Cancel" just produced the same message box and I needed to crash out with Task Manager.

All I was doing was moving vertices.

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I'll let you guys sort out the ADE selection issue.

As for the problem dialog box, for whatever reason, ADE-GP "thought" you entered an invalid value somewhere and wasn't going to let you escape without fixing it. From the nature of the display, I'm guessing you dragging those vertices to the left of center was "misinterpreted". It will be easy to fix, though

Re the triangulation issue, this one may be "nasty".

New release ASAP.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
George, the "Invalid entry" problem is due to the Main Texture Size textboxes not being set. Apparently, you inadvertently clicked in one before cancelling.

Those text boxes should always have a value in them. I haven't found a way to open the editor without the correct value appearing in them.

Please send me the file you were using that opened the editor without those boxes being filled in.

BTW, the undo problem you reported last night is now fixed.

Don

GHD

Country
england
Please send me the file you were using that opened the editor without those boxes being filled in.

There is no point Don. I restarted and everything was ok.

One other point. Could you inhibit the mouse centre-button please? I keep using it to attempt to centre the screen but it moves any selected points.

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
There is no point Don. I restarted and everything was ok.
If you ever notice those textboxes not properly initialized, please send me the file. In any case, I have changed the program to ignore a null entry in tose textboxes, so even if it happens again, you shouldn't get the endless loop.

Could you inhibit the mouse centre-button please? I keep using it to attempt to centre the screen but it moves any selected points
On a mouse with a center wheel, that wheel is a zoom control. Not sure why simply depressing the button/wheel has any effect. I'll see if I can implement a more-diciplined approach.

The GP editor seems fine, but I think there is a triangulation problem:
Now the good news (for me at least). The misalignment of the cross-hatch is due to you moving vertices in the editor rather than in ADE.

When you first created those two polys and displayed them in the editor, the texture was properly aligned. However, when you moved the vertices, you "stretched" the texture. However, the physical (ADE) position of the vertices was unchanged - resulting in the display you got.

Unfortunately, once you've moved the vertices in the editor and saved back to ADE, it's too late to do anything about it. The Reset button only reverts to the conditions when the editor was opened for the current session.

Perhaps I should add a second reset button (or change the operation of the existing one) to ignore all changes made in the editor, not just those made in the current session, and reset the vertices to reflect the current ADE positions. I'd appreciate thoughts on that.

In the meantime, I'll add a few words to the user manual stressing that changes in position should be made in ADE, not the editor. Changers shouild only be made in the editor if it is necessary to select the portion of the ntexture to be used.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Could you inhibit the mouse centre-button please? I keep using it to attempt to centre the screen but it moves any selected points
From your initial report, George, I was suspicious that a depression of the middle mouse button was being interpreted as a command to zoom and that you were referring to that zoom when you referred to selected points being moved. I had forgotten that, long ago, I had carried over from another program the capability to move all vertices when the middle mouse button was depressed. That capability is not appropriate to this program and I now I appreciate it was that movement to which you were referring.

It's been deleted.

Don

GHD

Country
england
When you first created those two polys and displayed them in the editor, the texture was properly aligned. However, when you moved the vertices, you "stretched" the texture. However, the physical (ADE) position of the vertices was unchanged - resulting in the display you got.

I only rotated the whole polygon to change the orientation of the cross-hatching. I didn't intentionally move an individual vertex.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
If you compare the editor representation of the two crosshatched polys with the editor representation of the other three, you'll see significant differences.

I tried rotating one of the other three and did not see any such distortion. Also, I applied the crosshatch pattern to one of the other three and it appeared naturally.

Is it possible that this ADE file was prepared with an earlier version of the AGE-GP editor that had display issues?

DOn

GHD

Country
england
That's weird Don. I originally created one polygon then in ADE, copied it four times.

I then tweaked the vertices of each in ADE but didn't (intentionally) move any vertices in the GP editor.

Is it possible that this ADE file was prepared with an earlier version of the AGE-GP editor that had display issues?
No, it was created from scratch this morning.

EDIT. I may have resized the image in the GP editor to increate the separation of the cross-hatch lines.

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Found the culprit. It would appear that there was also a resize involved, and that's where the distortion came in.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
ADE_GP (0.0.33) attached.

It fixes:
  • the undo issue
  • the distortion on resizing, and
  • the movement of vertices when middle mouse button depressed.

Also includes a new version of the user manual that clarifes what happens when individual vertices are moved. Even though that was not the cause of the distortion on resizing, it still seems like a worthwhile change.

Don

Last edited:

GHD

Country
england
The distortion on resizing

Hi Don,

I re-edited the two polys which were distorted and re-sized them slightly.

After compiling, the distortion remained. Do I need to delete and re-draw them?