• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

ADE Object question

Country
us-california
To all,
When an object (ie. static aircraft) is added to the ADE object library from a BGL file, where is the object's data stored.
I have modified an airport scenery with "static" planes obtained from random BGL files via ADE's Object "Tool"
menu. My goal is to share the Freeware airport with others; however I am concerned that the static aircraft might
not be rendered because the data for them is not present / available on their PC. I suspect there are many cases
that require texture files, etc. to be present in the airport's texture sub-folder before an object will render correctly.
Would this be one of those cases ?
Best to all,
Ken

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Yes, it is one of those cases. You must provide copies of the static aircraft and if you do not have permission to redistribute, then you'll need to provide links and instructions on how to obtain and install these static aircraft, in order for them to show in your scenery.

Country
us-california
Thank you for the reply Rick. So after the object has been added to the ADE object library (from the donor BGL file) Where is it stored so that the FS (and ADE) can access it ? And where is it stored
so that I can access it and include it with the airport's BGL package ? I am very aware of the copyright / permissions concern (but thanks for the reminder ~;) . I believe I read somewhere that many
of the library objects that are present by default in ADE are also part of the FS SDK. If this is true, does it "tie in" in some way with my questions ? And lastly when the project airport loads in the FS
where is FS going to find the object that has been added to the airport ?
FYI, I am not adding "models", only static objects.
Ken

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Be aware that when you add library objects into ADE you select a bgl file containing them but ADE only adds information about the object (size etc) and does not import the object itself into ADE.

You need to ensure that the bgl file containing the objects is placed in an active scenery folder in FS. When you place an object (static aircraft are library objects) into an airport with ADE you are adding a reference to the object and placement data. To display the object must be accessible as mentioned above. If it is then FS will render the object where you placed it, If not then nothing will show in sim

It is possible to add models (mdl files) directly into ADE but that is something different and the models are compiled by ADE into the ADE bgl file

ADE usually ships with information about stock objects. If these are placed by ADE then the sim will render the object from the stock library object files.

Country
us-california
Be aware that when you add library objects into ADE you select a bgl file containing them but ADE only adds information about the object (size etc) and does not import the object itself into ADE.

You need to ensure that the bgl file containing the objects is placed in an active scenery folder in FS. When you place an object (static aircraft are library objects) into an airport with ADE you are adding a reference to the object and placement data. To display the object must be accessible as mentioned above. If it is then FS will render the object where you placed it, If not then nothing will show in sim

It is possible to add models (mdl files) directly into ADE but that is something different and the models are compiled by ADE into the ADE bgl file

ADE usually ships with information about stock objects. If these are placed by ADE then the sim will render the object from the stock library object files.
Thank you for the very helpful reply Jon. Last night my brother tested the airport in his FSX and all the static objects rendered so their data must have
been somewhere on his PC :) And I will save the important info above for future use. I admit that I don't use ADE often, but I find it very interesting and
enjoyable when I do. And I have read the fine Users Guide more than once.
Best regards,
Ken