• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

.ade vs .ade.bak

Country
us-virginia
Jon: Continuing on the duplicate file issue for KLAS. I experimented by unloading everything from the scenery list in fsx except for the KLAS scenery file. I removed my exclusion from within ade and recompiled. When I opened fsx the duplicate strip buildings were showing. Some directly on top and others slightly shifted.

I used the scanner earlier but it did not detect any duplicate files nor could I locate any manually.

I decided to recreate KLAS using ade. Same sequence as before. I opened the stock KLAS and saved it as an ade file. I then opened the ade KLAS file and compiled it to the only scenery folder that was currently active.

I disabled the other KLAS file and opened fsx. This time no duplicate strip buildings. Would this rule out a duplicate KLAS file?

I examined both .xml files and they both contain exclusions :confused:

I recall at some point in my KLAS project that my ade file became corrupted and it was necessary for me to use my .bak file to save the project. This is the only difference I can recall.

At this point the only duplicates are some (not all) of the strip buildings and I'm inclined to add the exclusion manually in ade and move on. Unless you can think of a way to preserve the ade file and remove the duplicates. Thanks for your help on this.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Using a manual exclude is a way to deal with it. However if they do not work then this would continue to point to another file somewhere.

The .bak file just contains the project as it was before the last save so the differences should be only the differences based on any changes you made since the last save.

Have you checked the Library Object List to see if there are any duplicated objects in the project?

A light just came on. Are you using split compile to compile objects to a different bgl file than the airport? If so then duplicated objects would be in there and not in the airport. You could have no duplicated or second airport file but a second ADE_....OBJ.Bgl file somewhere that is being used. The Airport Scanner would not find this since objects are not stored inside the airport.

Last edited:
Country
us-virginia
Jon: The manual exclude is working, but thanks for the suggestion regarding the objects. I will need to look into this tomorrow morning.

Country
us-virginia
Using a manual exclude is a way to deal with it. However if they do not work then this would continue to point to another file somewhere.

The manual exclude works. Based on the scanner result and my little experiment, I don't believe there is a duplicate airport scenery file.

Have you checked the Library Object List to see if there are any duplicated objects in the project?

I checked the Strip Hotels and there were no duplicates in the list.

A light just came on. Are you using split compile to compile objects to a different bgl file than the airport? If so then duplicated objects would be in there and not in the airport. You could have no duplicated or second airport file but a second ADE_....OBJ.Bgl file somewhere that is being used. The Airport Scanner would not find this since objects are not stored inside the airport.

The split compile objects option is not checked. When you say a second ADE_... what do you mean by this? And where would it be located for me to check?

One operation that comes to mind (not sure if relevant or not) is that I copied one or more library objects from the strip area into the airport. Could this action have caused this?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
The split compile objects option is not checked. When you say a second ADE_... what do you mean by this? And where would it be located for me to check?

If you have split compile checked the ADE generates a second bgl file (with OBJ added onto the end of the name) that contains the scenery objects and exclusions. With it unchecked they are all in the one file that contains the airport as well.

One operation that comes to mind (not sure if relevant or not) is that I copied one or more library objects from the strip area into the airport. Could this action have caused this?

Not sure what you mean.

Country
us-virginia
The .bak file just contains the project as it was before the last save so the differences should be only the differences based on any changes you made since the last save.

When my original .ade file became corrupted and I was no longer able to to open it, I noticed that the size of the file was significantly larger than its .bak counterpart. This is why I asked the question regarding the .bak vs. .ade. I have since checked other .bak files and see that they are the same size as their .ade counterparts.

Country
us-virginia
Hello Jon: I'm providing one last observation regarding 1.39 with my KLAS project. I copied and pasted an fsx stock beacontower located between T1 and T2 at KLAS. I resized the towers 5x as I'm using them as an off airport visual aid.

My .ade file prior to the copy and paste operation was approx. 58mb. After the two copy and 2 paste operations of a stock library object, the .ade grew to a whopping 174mb. The copy past for each took minutes not seconds. I had a similar problem with some stock airport vehicles which eventually grew the size of the .ade file too large for me to work with. I hope this is of some use.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks very much. We do suspect copy and paste operations of being implicated in the size growth problem and are investigating that.