• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

ADE9X is Released

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
We placed the release version of ADE9X version 1.45 on the download center this evening UK time. The official release date is Sunday 30th August 2009 and Martin (gsnde) our Release Manager will be rolling the announcements out over the next day.

I want to publicly place on record my thanks to the whole team and also to y'all here on FSDeveloper for your help and support in getting ADE to where it is today.

I am going to take my traditional post release break from programming for a while but I will still be about ;)

Then I guess I will have to take a look at all these wild ideas for version 1.50 ;)

Last edited:
Country
argentina
Jon:

Thank you very much to you and all the equipment that works for us and the simulator process of improvement of flight simulator.

ADE is a beautiful product, of very easy use and with a curve of impressive learning.

Thanks very much!!

Best Regards

carlos

Country
us-hawaii
Congrats for getting it out!!!! Sorry I've been away for the last 5 weeks (for various reasons once I get to the US mainland I try to get many things done before going back home) and couldn't do much testing/feedback. I did have a default install of FS9 and some of my old projects files while on the road and did play with the betas (I have to share my wife's laptop when we travel, so you know how that goes).

scott s.

Country
netherlands
hi Jon and the complete ADE-team,
Congratulations with this release and thanks again for all the work done.

Kind regards
Bert

Country
germany
Ade9x

Many thanks again, Jon!

Perfect installation, perfect readme - everything runs smoothly!

As it seems to me, start-up and loading an airport became a lot faster. That' s a significant step forward. Congrats - also to the team!

Country
belgium
A much-anticipated release, and a huge step forward for FS9 airport design. Congratulations and many thanks to the team!

Greg

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Because of an immediate interest in fixing a problem with MT84 (Kalispel, Montana, USA), I installed the release version of ADE9X.

Having used AFCAD since - well the day it was released - I had no problems with the basic GUI, and the manual is simply brilliant!

ADE9X installed without any issues and is working just fine! It adds SO much more capability beyond what Lee's program does, and even more the point it actually produces a usable .bgl at MT84 that AFCAD simply could not...

...I can actually see a runway now, whereas AFCAD's changes could not be seen...

However, I was somewhat disappointed that the one thing I actually need to do at the moment only works for FSX...

...namely, a "flatten" to get rid of the 1,000' high "mesa" that MT84 currently sits upon. :scratchch

Since I'm engaged full-time in aircraft and gauge/system development, I've very little time to indulge myself, but I'm going to see if there's some way to "fix this one airport" while I'm in the area...

In any case, let me thank everyone involved with ADE on a job very well done! I'll not be deleting AFCAD anytime soon simply because of one feature that few folks know about: the ability to change the radius of any aircraft for FS9 models that because of hidden "features" often have default camera radius that's rediculously too far distant! :rotfl:

Last edited:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
This you could alternatively do with AI-Aircraft Editor, Bill ;)

Well, truthfully it's easy enough with Visual Studio's Hex editor when it comes right down to it...

I'm about to give up. I've spent (wasted) several hours trying to find a way to create a simple "flatten" for the FS9 MT84 airport... :eek:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi Bill,

To change the altitude of a default airport, you can use that feature in the ADE Tools menu. It will place a special file in the Scenery/World/scenery folder that will force FS to accept the altitude change (it doesn't, normally).

In AFCAD days I just placed a copy of the changed AFCAD file into that folder, and it worked fine too.

This does not create the actual flatten file, though.

To create an FS9 flatten file I normally use SceneGenX, but that's probably overkill for just one airport. You could use FSTFlatten instead, which is probably easier to learn.

I've created a quick flatten file, if you want to try it.

View attachment mt84_flatten_API.zip

Use the Change Airport Altitude function in the ADE Tools menu to change it to 3100 ft. After that and compiling the airport it looks fine. :)

Hope this helps,

Last edited:
Well, truthfully it's easy enough with Visual Studio's Hex editor when it comes right down to it...

I'm about to give up. I've spent (wasted) several hours trying to find a way to create a simple "flatten" for the FS9 MT84 airport... :eek:

Bill

Don't give up too soon. We at ADE wanted to release the ADE9X with the ability to be able to work with all the existing AFCAD bgl's already in existance. One of our main goals for the ADE9 version was to take all of Lee's original goals and push ADE9 to what Lee had invisioned that AFCAD would have done if it had been completed. You will notice that most of the ADE original team is made up of all the same guys from the old PAI AFCAD forum that worked with Lee on both AFCAD and TTools. Some of us still have his original design goals in post forum which if I remember you also were a part of back then.

You will also see in both ADEX and ADE9 the never before seen Approach code interface (button in the top right corner of the ADE menu bar) that uses the ARINC 424 document as a ADE GPS Reciever. Jon was able to code writing approaches on the fly so the line draw as seen in ADE will be what is seen in the GPS. This very complex coding also error checks the draw of the approach/transitions that can be written against the ARINC 424 document that MS used as the foundation for all approaches.

We do plan to push ADE9 even further with the ability to work the ground of the airport (flattens and VTP exclusion/polys) possibly in the next major version release.

Country
unitedkingdom
ADE9X Bug?

I'm having a problem with ADE9X. The mouse pointer often defaults autromatically to the 4-arrow 'move', and trying to move the mouse causes the airport to move out of sight.

I can't find any obvious way to revert to the default arrow; clicking on the 'Pointer' icon doesn't help.

I have Windows XP home.
The Environment checker shows no problems.

Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

The airport is indeed supposed to be 4000 ft, but the surrounding valley in FS9 default mesh is at 3100 ft. If you go there, you will see an airport sitting on top of a 900 ft mesa (flat topped mountain), with incredibly steep sides. There would be no way to get from the airport to town!

My choice was to create a flatten file at 3100 ft for the airport, and use the Tools/Change Aircraft Altitude command in ADE to move the airport down to the valley. The other choice would be to raise the valley up to 4000 ft, but then you will start interfering with the other (the main) airport in the valley on the other side of town. That's Flathead County airport (KFCA), at 2977 ft elevation.

Hope this helps,

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Bill

Don't give up too soon.

Oh dear! I think I've not made myself clear at all in this instance...

What I (was) about to give up was the single goal of flattening MT84...

I've absolutely no intention of giving up on ADE, which in my humble and throughly inadequate opinion is the greatest thing since sliced-bread!!! :cool:

Well, perhaps I exaggerate just a little... :rotfl:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
To create an FS9 flatten file I normally use SceneGenX, but that's probably overkill for just one airport. You could use FSTFlatten instead, which is probably easier to learn.

I've created a quick flatten file, if you want to try it.

Use the Change Airport Altitude function in the ADE Tools menu to change it to 3100 ft. After that and compiling the airport it looks fine. :)

Hope this helps,

ADE did place a MT84_ADE9_BL_ALT.BGL in the ..scenery/world/scenery folder, which is paired with the MT84_ADE9_BL.BGL file I place in the ..\addon scenery\MT84\scenery folder I created.

The problem I encountered was that the actual airport was then inside the mesa, because I couldn't seem to create a "flatten" that would work.

I discovered that trying to use a flatten.0=xxxx in the scenery.cfg does not seem to work (or at least I never managed to flatten more than the NE corner of the mesa, despite having created a flatten rectangle that was more than 4x what was actually needed.

I found what was undoubtedly a neat tool at one time called "FlattEx.exe" that can grab the coordinates directly from FS9 and create a proper flatten.n=xxx,xxx etc. line for use in the scenery.cfg file. I also learned that one should never, ever alter the template copy of scenery.cfg in FS9's root folder if one is running Vista... :D

A google search revealed that a fellow had created a set of files specifically for MT84 (cleverly named mt84fix.zip), which while indeed flattening the mesa, left behind an oddly shaped grassy rwny, but with a wierd, offset dotted white line that extended past both ends of the 2,000'x25' strip.

I also had a chance to look at SBuilderFS9, which while undoubtedly a wonderful bit of programming, is far too complicated just to learn how to accomplish such a pedestrian goal as mine... a simple flatten! :eek:

In any event, it's been a terrific learning experience. Thanks for the "flatten," Tom. With that and ADE I've managed to accomplish my modest goal(s). I changed the surface to "Bituminous" and added a small bituminous apron and a three bay hanger. Here is the result:

da42test000029.jpg