Adobe CS2 for free

As you say it does appear to be a 30 day trial version. I've downloaded it OK and will wait to see what happens after 30 days.

There's a Purchase button which doesn't do anything!

Last edited:
If that is really the case, why the heck are they praising it for free?
IT's a FREE DOWNLOAD... :) not that it's a free program. IN the listings it's shown as "shareware", another fancy way of saying you can try it, but you have to pay for it sooner or later.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Computerbild (reputable, german entry level computer magazine) lists it as "Freeware (for free)":
http://www.computerbild.de/download/Adobe-Photoshop-CS2-8040793.html

Chip (german computer magazine for more advanced users) also does:
http://www.chip.de/news/Photoshop-kostenlos-Windows-und-Mac-Downloads_59762624.html
http://www.chip.de/downloads/Vollversion-Photoshop-CS2_59762951.html

Apparently, Adobe shut down the activation servers for Photoshop CS2 and other, older products and posted serials, so that old CS2 users can continue reinstalling and using it.

You'll apparently need a free AdobeID to download it.

- Edit:

On behalf of Adobe Systems Incorporated ...

You have heard wrong! Adobe is absolutely not providing free copies of CS2!

What is true is that Adobe is terminating the activation servers for CS2 and that for existing licensed users of CS2 who need to reinstall their software, copies of CS2 that don't require activation but do require valid serial numbers are available. (Special serial numbers are provided on the page for each product download.)

You are only legally entitled to download and install with that serial number if you have a valid license to the product!
http://forums.adobe.com/message/4974662#4974662

Special serial numbers that work with these downloads are included on the download page.

However, please note that you are only legally entitled to download and install with that serial number if you already have a valid license to the product!
http://forums.adobe.com/message/4975004#4975004

I don't think you have to worry about Adobe coming after you for this, union_bug.

As soon as our execs have approved an official statement on this issue, I or another Adobe staffer will post it here.

Effective December 13, Adobe disabled the activation server for CS2 products and Acrobat 7 because of a technical glitch. These products were released over 7 years ago and do not run on many modern operating systems. But to ensure that any customers activating those old versions can continue to use their software, we issued a serial number directly to those customers. While this might be interpreted as Adobe giving away software for free, we did it to help our customers.
http://forums.adobe.com/message/4975722#4975722

Talk about a buzzkill and unintentional trolling...

Last edited:

hairyspin

Resource contributor
...Apparently, Adobe shut down the activation servers for Photoshop CS2 and other, older products and posted serials, so that old CS2 users can continue reinstalling and using it.

You'll apparently need a free AdobeID to download it...
...So I followed the links and downloaded, since I already have CS2. No ID required - talk about open your wallet and repeat after me - "HELP YOURSELF" :confused:

Heretic

Resource contributor
...So I followed the links and downloaded, since I already have CS2. No ID required - talk about open your wallet and repeat after me - "HELP YOURSELF" :confused:
To be fair, CS2 is from 2005and thus not quite the newest and best on the market.

I uninstalled the trial version then went to this Adobe site then downloaded and installed CS2 quite legitimately.
And it says "activated" and all...?

Last edited:
And it says "activated" and all...?
I just entered the serial nunber which now appears on the opening splash screen.

Each time I use it, it opens a window inviting me to register (which is voluntary) and offers "complimentary benefits" and that "Information on your gift will be sent to your e-mail address"!!! I haven't tried to register.

There are "Register Later" and " Do Not Register" buttons, neither of which seems to have any effect other than closing that window.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
To be fair, CS2 is from 2005 and thus not quite the newest and best on the market.
True, but it's all I've known in Photoshop and it'll reinstall now if my original installation goes belly-up. If I have the money to buy CS6 some day, I bet there will be other demands on that cash - I mean, I still use MS Office 2003! :eek: Some people around here still use even older Photoshop versions.

CS2 may be old, but considering that you don't NEED 75% of the bells and whistles, as long as it handles layers, and the nVidia plugin for bump maps, heck, I still have PSP7.0 around for quick tweaks!

hairyspin

Resource contributor
There's a lot of hoohah about this so I had another look. First thing, I already have Photoshop CS2 and have had for a good while.

If you go to the Adobe home page and search for CS2 downloads using their own search box, you'll find the right page easily. I wasn't logged in and there was no request for ID of any sort. Nor was there any warning about eligibility, just download links and serial numbers.

I make no comment about legality or entitlements, it just strikes me the horse is long gone and the door is still swinging. Quite what Adobe do now remains to be seen. Or have they in one move spiked the pirates' guns?

Heretic

Resource contributor
I just entered the serial nunber which now appears on the opening splash screen.

Each time I use it, it opens a window inviting me to register (which is voluntary) and offers "complimentary benefits" and that "Information on your gift will be sent to your e-mail address"!!! I haven't tried to register.

There are "Register Later" and " Do Not Register" buttons, neither of which seems to have any effect other than closing that window.
That's cool.

Might be worth grabbing while it lasts.

True, but it's all I've known in Photoshop and it'll reinstall now if my original installation goes belly-up. If I have the money to buy CS6 some day, I bet there will be other demands on that cash - I mean, I still use MS Office 2003! :eek: Some people around here still use even older Photoshop versions.
If only they knew about the free (open source) alternatives... :cool:

I make no comment about legality or entitlements, it just strikes me the horse is long gone and the door is still swinging. Quite what Adobe do now remains to be seen. Or have they in one move spiked the pirates' guns?
I don't know, but they can't prosecute a wild horde of innocent downloaders.

They might just wait the storm out and then simply don't talk about it anymore.
Saying "NO!" would be quite damaging to their image.

I don't think there can be any doubt that it's legal. Adobe's own website provide the download links and serial numbers with no conditions whatsoever. It doesn't even ask for an AdobeID.

All the EULA requires is that "...you obtained the Software from Adobe or one of its authorized licensees..."

EDIT

Adobe has now taken down those sites refererenced in post #10 that claimed it it wasn't free. The download site is still there!

Last edited: