Advice Sought re: Sourcing and Manipulation of Textures

Hi All,

Is it best ot use FSDS for texture application, or is their other software that is better?

Is it best to use default textures, or make them yourself ?

Where can you get textures, if you don't own a Hi Def camera ?

If anyone can point me in the direction to learn about this area of modelling, I would be very grateful.

Thnx.

Farfy

Resource contributor
Hi

“Is it best to use FSDS for texture application, or is their other software that is better?”
If you are making your object with FSDS, then use it to texture the object.

“Is it best to use default textures, or make them yourself?”
Default textures are fine but I mostly make my own.

“Where can you get textures, if you don't own a Hi Def camera?”
Google searches work great, but I also use a simple digital camera for many things, It dose not need to be a hi res camera.

H_Farfy:D

BTW,

As for resolution, is 1024 square the best to go with or go up to 2048 ? I'm only making VFR airport scenery so FPS isn't a major issue.

As you say above... even a digital "real image" is better than "drawing one in Paint. A brick wall is just that - and what better way, than to get a real brick wall !!

Farfy

Resource contributor
Glad you like the tutorials.

I rarely use 2048 or even 1024, although they do have there uses.
For a brick wall I would use a 256 or 512 square and then tile it.

I have a tutorial on tiling that you might like.

H_Farfy:D

Yes I saw those. They are bookmarked and I will be studying them closely.

I notice that you start all of them with "I assume you know how to create textures".

Shame !

We could really do with some stuff on textures. There seem to be loads of tutes around on 3D modelling etc., but I am looking for stuff on basic texturing.

I did some mip-mapping stuff a while ago to improve older sceneries, but some step by step tutes on sourcing/creating/managing textures etc. would be useful.

Farfy

Resource contributor
The problem is that there are so many graphics programs it would be very hard to write a tutorial. I use three or four different ones myself.

I will try to do an out line of what I do later tonight and send it to you.

H_Farfy:D:D