AFCAD for FSX?

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
He may well be, but I have not seen Lee around in a VERY long time.

If I were a betting man, I would say that this is an ideal project. Maybe something that more than one of us could work on.

This would be a good discussion to start over in the tools programming area (that is if you want to work with others, or just get ideas)

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I am looking at it right now...........

It is my next 'big project'

Currently looking at the functionality etc and getting a spec together. I develop in C#.

I have some of the stuff already in my Scenery Maker Program - if there interest in collaborating then let me know. Certainly it could be worked on by several people - the joys of OO programming

Working through the current version and it's capabilities underlined just how much Lee put into it - unfortunately I do not think he is around in the FS scene any longer

Nick - Is it worth moving the thread over to the Tools programming area or starting a new one there??

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I wonder if I should move this thread back :). As long as no actual coding has started, I think we should attrack as much feedback as possible, so not only from the coders in this forum.

But now back to the question, yes my next project will also be an updated ObPlacer XML with a map view. So a sort of AFCAD replacement. At the moment I am thinking about the features and doing some early software engineering. I am planning this GUI to be so flexible that it can be extended later to cover the mesh scenery as well, so that we can have one tool for all our scenery needs. But at first it will be focussed to the XML style scenery (including the parts that AFCAD is missing).

But it does not sound like a very good idea that three of us are developing the same kind of software. It might be sensible to team up and make one great tool? Such a project will be quite a lot of work for one person anyway.

Its sounds a good idea that such a big project could be shared. I was planning to do it in C# 2.0 mainly due to the XML facilities. Maybe we could do a detailed list of what should be done to achieve the result.

It seems that CVS could be needed after all :)

José

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Until now I use VB6 for most of my tools, but it is getting to old. So I was already planning to switch. I was thinking about C++ (as I use that at work as well), but I could also try to learn C# I guess :).

Yes, the CVS would be great for this. Having the source of such a project accesible might also allow more interaction from others, so that sounds like a good idea to me.

I will open a new thread where we can discuss the features we would like in such a tool and put my ideas in there as well. Then we can try to see if we can come up with a plan.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Well I think it would be very good to work on this as a team - that way we can divide the work and that should mean an earlier result and better solution.

I am for C# (as you know Arno :) )

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking about C++ (as I use that at work as well), but I could also try to learn C# I guess :).
Personally, since I am such a great coder, I am going to start writing add-ons with MS Basic. They will be great. :rolleyes:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Which version would that be Nick ;) I started with QBasic as I recall (and a fair dose of assembler) - those were the days!

I came from assembly to C then to C++ then to C#. However C++ with .net 2.0 is too strange with those ^ and never really liked that. I promissed myself that Dreammanager would be my last C++ program, it just take too much time to do anything.

C# is cleanner and really a good jump from C

José

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
As I wrote I used VB6 for most of my FS tools until now. But at university and work I have also learned to use C, C++, Java and some Fortran. So I guess it should not be too hard to learn C# as well :). I must also say that I never used the C++ .NET with all those strange ^ as you mentioned. That does not look useful to me :).

I'm happy to jump in the code pool too guys. I'm still pretty green, but C# is my language of choice, and if I can help in any way, I'd love to be part of the group.

I may be a little behind the curve: Most of my programming efforts have been geared toward taking free geographic data from the web and converting it to scenery. I have not studied the structure of bgl or other files in a long time. My knowledge goes about as far as the MS SDKs for FS2k4. I think now might be a good time to jump in as changes are coming, so we may all be on more level ground.

Regardless, keep me in mind if you need an extra compiler.

Best,
sg

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Scott and welcome :)

We have a thread going for this project now. Next step is to sort out the requirements - All help is gratefully received

Hi,
Im new here in FSDeveloper.com, and its really cool to have a website dedicated to developers of FS.

I had sometime writting programs, i began writting in VB, then i went to C++ and now i see that there is C#, but i dont really know what is the difference bettween the old C++ and the newer C#....it is BIGGER the difference?...cuz if so then i may need to change most of the codes in the programs i already...have.

I still have the old VC++ 6.0....but i would like someone to tell me some differences bettween C++ and C#...lol :)

Best Regards,

Manuel Ambulo

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Manuel and welcome.

Like any programming language C++ and C# have their own strengths and weaknesses. The syntax used in C# is similar to both C++ and Java.

A major difference is that C# is a 'managed' language. That means that garbage collection (the recovery of memory when the program does not need it any more) is done automatically whereas in C++ you have to take care of it yourself. Having said that it is sometimes necessary in C# to get rid of redundant objects yourself.

C# is designed from the start to be fully object oriented, it is also designed to work with Microsoft dotNET

C++ programs may run faster than C# programs but generally it is probably quicker and bit easier to develop in C#.

Here are a couple of links that might be of interest

http://genamics.com/developer/csharp_comparative.htm

http://www.developerfusion.co.uk/show/1743/

Thanks by the welcome, im very happy to be in a place like this,

Thanks, by the explanation scruffyduck, thats great that when the program is done with the memory it used, it is all recovered. I think that helps to avoid things like freezing the operating system. Also thanks by the links, that will helps me to introduce myself in C#.

So if C# and C++ are similar then if i have a long program already written in C++ it shouldnt be difficult to translate to C#?....Cuz then it would be like start all over again...lol :(

Manuel Ambulo