AFLT - P3Dv3 Range of Effects Improved

gadgets

Resource contributor
Several of you have commented on the limited range of AFLT lights in P3D and that ORBX airports do not suffer the same problem.

Earlier today, I discovered why. AFLT uses effects exclusively for P3D. (P3Dv2 and onwards don't support BGL_LIGHTs or other FS9-based technology in AFLT). While ORBX supplies effects named to suggest use as airfield lighting, I removed all those effects and nothing changed with the ORBX airport under test.

Therefore, it would seem ORBX uses some method other than effects to generate its airfield lights in Prepar3D, thus avoiding the very short range of effects in P3D. Unfortunately, I don't have that choice in AFLT. (It would be extremely difficult to provide the flexibility of AFLT with other than effects or BGL_LIGHTs. )

So, I'm sorry to report, until LM improves the range of light effects in P3D, I'm afraid what you see is the best you can get with AFLT.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
I have recently installed P3Dv3.2. While there are still some issues with effects, the range seems to have improved - to the extent that a version of AFLT for P3Dv3 seems practical.

I have the fundamentals working in v3, but still have some work to do to improve performance. The FPS hit is rather severe, buit I'm hopeful it can be improved.

So, keep tuned. I should have a version of AFLT for preliminary beta testing in a couple of weeks,.

Don