• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

AI aircraft not starting engines...? flying with Fuel trucks...?

Country
us-arizona
So I recently completed project where I set up a bunch of routes for a freeware Concorde to add a little spice to the skies around airports. I used AI Flight Planner and everything went well. The Concordes take off and land as expected on time and with some trial and error was able to recreate a lot of the historic routes of Concorde and add a bunch of fantasy routes for fun.

Then I started to wonder what else I could put in the skies to make things more visually interesting. So I got ahold of a copy of Lionhart's Boeing BWB/797 flying wing and played around with it and it was fun so I started making routes for it, so I would bump into tooting about the world. The only problem is one I cant seem to figure out after a day of searching.

The model seems to come with a secondary model of a static set of fuel trucks and figurines that sit outside the plane while the engines are off. In the regular use those disappear when the engines are on but when used as an AI aircraft the AI flight taxis and takes off with them and flies the entire route with them. The engines also don't seem to be started because there is no engine noise at all.

This is a FS9 model as I understand it that was ported to FSX by a third party and that's how I found it.

Do I need to modify the model to get rid of this second state with fuel trucks? or is there a way to make this AI aircraft actually turn on its engines before magically floating into the sky? Thanks for any replies about what I need to look into. I am not a very prolific modifier of FSX files but I have done a little bit here and there when need.

here is a link to the original project (now discontinued). There is a picture of the fuel trucks there that don't go away for the AI. http://www.lionheartcreations.com/Boeing_797.html

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Based on you description, the fuel trucks, etc. are included in the aircraft's .mdl file.

AFLT has no control over this. It simply tells Flightsim what AI, where and when to fly.

Can you find the original FS9 version of the flying wing?. It will work with FSX and MAY work in P3D. Otherwise, unless you have some expertise in aircraft model development, I suggest you look for another model.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Don

Country
unitedkingdom
Lack of 'sounds' is usually down to the lack of a "soundai" file in the aircraft folder. If this does not exist, you can create the folder and create a 'soundai.cfg' file where you 'alias' to one of the sounds that already exist elsewhere.

Country
us-arizona
WHAT a CRAZY TIME we are living in... Flying fuel trucks! Engines not running...

sigh...

Country
us-arizona
FOR YOUR OWN USE ONLY you could try loading the plane into ModelConverterX and deleting the objects in the Hierarchy Editor. Then Export as an FSX aircraft. That said, if this is an FS9 format MDL file there is a long and often arduous process to contend with.

http://www.calclassic.com/convert_tutorial/index.html

I did the process you described, deleted the fyel trucks, hoses, and figurines, and then compiled as a fsx mdl. For some reason now there is no VC visible, and a generic "window texture" where the plexi glass used to be. I repeated the same process you described again to make sure that I didn't accidentally delete the VC polygons, but they are still there when I load the modified mdl into the converter. Any ideas?

Country
us-arizona
OK, thanks everybody. tgibson, I read your tutorial for using the converter much Much MUCH more carefully and was able to get the model converted without the parts I don't want showing for AI flights. Now the fun part of building my dream global fleet of flying wings.

Country
us-arizona
That was a nightmare plane to get working right for FS2004, lolol.. ACKKK!

Hope it all goes well. Would be fun to do that for FSX/P3D with functioning interior.

Country
us-arizona
As I recall, the fuel trucks show up when the engines are at zero RPM. It took forever to have them appear. Its like the spool down on the turbines was 5 minutes.