AI and MipMaps in FSX: Murder of Crows

JonPatch

Resource contributor
I've always noticed that at a certain distance the textures disappear and AI aircraft become a default gray in FS9. Not very noticable, though. Unfortunately in FSX as no texture shows as black, this now becomes an issue. Distant AI looks like a flock of crows.

Why do the MipMaps stop displaying at a distance? How can I fix this?

Jon

I've always noticed that at a certain distance the textures disappear and AI aircraft become a default gray in FS9. Not very noticable, though. Unfortunately in FSX as no texture shows as black, this now becomes an issue. Distant AI looks like a flock of crows.

Why do the MipMaps stop displaying at a distance? How can I fix this?

Jon
Are those DXT1 textures with alpha channel?

André Folkers

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Jon,

Not sure if this is related, but in the Fs2002 gamepack we also had this problem with small scenery objects. In the Fs2002 MakeMDL there was a bug that set the texture type of scenery to aircraft. At a certain distance the texture would no longer show and you saw a color (gray usually), I assume this is the alternative color for the texture. For smaller objects the distance at which this happens was shorter.

I can imagine that we are seeing something similar here on the aircraft models. Why it behaves like this I don't know. Hopefully it is fixed with the new MDL format :).

JonPatch

Resource contributor
Interesting, Arno. May be similar. The colour in FS9 always reverts to gray, regardless of material colour or mipmaps or whatever. Ditto for FSX, but always reverts to black. This afternoon I've allocated some time to characterize this more completely in both versions. I can say that this occurs with PAI and Ultimate Traffic aircraft as well.

I'll review a number of texture formats, with and without mipmaps and also study the behaviour of default aircraft.

Jon

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Jon,

That the color is always gray is due to MakeMDL as well. For all textures parts that is the material color used, even if you specify a different color in GMax. This could in theory be changed to white (or another color that matches the color scheme better) with a little hacking, but as FsX does not show any material colors at all that would not help that much.