• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX AI Tail Fin - Not Visible (Help)

Country
switzerland
Dear Experts,

Please can anyone help.

On some of my AI models I do not see tail fin anymore. This issue is mainly with A320 FAIB files.

Thanking you all....

KR Gripen

Please see screen shot below:
upload_2015-4-6_4-16-3.png

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Check the texture's alpha channel. If it's black in the tail fin area, it will produce the effect from the picture.

Country
switzerland
Check the texture's alpha channel. If it's black in the tail fin area, it will produce the effect from the picture.

Dear Heretic,

Thank you for the pointer, from new examples below, Can you confirm that it is the alpha channel issue. If yes the how can I fix it? any new pointers.

On detailed investigation, On my FAIB A320 - 200 IAE engine AI model I noticed the following:

1) Some times, I do not see tail fin & winglets any-more (See image 1). But Some times I see tail fin but not winglets, but models with sharklets are visible fine (See image 2). This is the case mainly during Dawn / Dusk / Night Times.

IMAGE 1:
upload_2015-4-6_18-42-15.png

IMAGE 2:
upload_2015-4-6_18-43-13.png

2) For the same AI model I do not experience the above problem during Day time. (See image 3).

IMAGE 3:
upload_2015-4-6_18-45-33.png

Please can help me once again with a bit more details (since I am relatively new with AI repaint).

Thanking you once again...

KR Inno

Country
switzerland

Dear Heretic,

Further to your suggestion and some google-ing, I found, how to check for the alpha channel please see below my side by side comparison (also clearly marking the area red box).

Any pointers / suggestions what could be the issue and how I can fix it???

Thanking you once again and with kind regards,
Gripen

upload_2015-4-6_19-4-0.png

upload_2015-4-6_19-7-14.png

Country
switzerland
Hi,

I noticed the following additional issue as well:

When the aircraft is completely off (Dark State), I see the tail fin. : (See Below)

upload_2015-4-7_14-31-39.png

But when it is fully powered up and ready to taxi on its own, then the tail fin vanishes: (See Below)

upload_2015-4-7_14-33-28.png

Any pointer help is highly appreciated as I am hitting a root cause block :-(...

Thanking you all and with kind regards,
Gripen

Last edited:

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I do not use the FAIB A320, so I can not check the model.

Use DXTBMP's "edit alpha channel" function to load the alpha channel into MS Paint. Then try to make the white tailfin area black and reload the alpha channel into DXTBMP. Check if this fixes the model.
If not, I suspect it's a bug in the model itself which only FAIB can fix.

- Edit:
Here are two related threads fromm the FAIB forum:
http://fsxaibureau.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=246
http://fsxaibureau.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=57

Last edited:
Country
spain
I would try to get rid of the alpha channels in the night textures. of course always save the originals,I think DxtBmp could do that, and see what happen. really curious the issue.

Country
switzerland
Dear Heretic and Tejal,

I will give it a go per both of your suggestions and shall revert back with my findings. Once again Thanks a lot for you pointers...

With kind regards,
Gripen

Country
unitedstates
I suspect you are missing some lightmaps.

Can you download the base models and see if they have textures that you are missing?

If you open the .mdl file in Model Converter X you can see what textures are called by the model, and make sure you have them all.

cheers,
Lane

Country
switzerland
Dear All,

Once again, thanks for all your helpful tips.

I have managed to fix the problem per recommendation of Lane, there were some mandatory texture files missing, which I have managed to restore from the base model. I have also managed to tweak it better per recommendation of Heretic.

Once again thanks guys :). I highly appreciate your help.

With kind regards,
Gripen.