• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

AI Traffic in Multiplayer

Country
us-washington
Having the the ability to delete AI at a point of choice would be wonderful. Even better would be have it take place after tow completion. But I realize it may not be possible to send a signal to all connected clients to do the same.

Hot key it?

Shift-Alt-Del = Delete all AI
Shift-Alt-Y = Delete My Tow Plane

Could the latter send a signal to all other clients to do the same?

Can the server send a signal to a client to cause a failure?

I think I am low on fuel. :eek:

Country
unitedkingdom
Just registered a copy Pete, and the utility works flawlessly. I will upload it to the server and see how it works under a different OS. I will be very interested to see if it zaps the AI prior to being distributed to all the players within the session.

Yes. Let me know, please. Also, in case it doesn't, would this suggestion I made above be an answer?

I could probably add a new FSUIPC control which could toggle the AutoDeleteAI action on and off -- presumably off by default?

But when it is switched on it will only delete the existing planes as and when SimConnect notifies FSUIPC or a change -- if they simply freeze in mid air and do nothing then SimConnect may never again tell me about them. If they do continue flying it'd be okay, they'd be reported upon and deleted as they did.

It is easy enough to add such an assignable control, but I won't bother if it wouldn't have any real use.

Regards

Pete

Country
unitedkingdom
Shift-Alt-Del = Delete all AI
Shift-Alt-Y = Delete My Tow Plane

There are already several and user configurable facilities in FSUIPC to Zap AI planes. I think they are sufficient. I'm not planning any more.

As I said, I could add an assignable control to toggle the AutoDeleteAI list on and off. I am waiting to hear if there is any point. What do tow planes do when released? Carry on flying as AI, or just become scenery objects?

All controls in FSUIPC, like those in FS itself, are assignable to buttons or switches or controllable by program. I don't pre-allocate any particular short-cuts.

Could the latter send a signal to all other clients to do the same?
Can the server send a signal to a client to cause a failure?[\quote]
Someone who knows about multiplayer would need to answer such questions. Certainly FSUIPC cannot.

Regards

Pete

Country
unitedstates
Results of running the AI deleting FSUIP on a FSX MP HOST

If a client joins the session, in a Glider, and calls up a tow plane, then that Tow plane is seen by the server and sent out to all the other players, BEFORE FSUIPC deletes it from the server. ( FSUIPC/Simconnect is not fast enough to delete) -- ( whoever thought Simconnect was fast !! )

So all players CURRENTLY in the session are stuck with a STATIONARY Tow Plane, on the runway. (Not ideal)

New Clients joining the session will NOT see the Tow plane, as it was deleted from the HOST before they joined.

----------------------
This is probably as good as it can get-- at least as new clients join the server, they are not loaded up with all the Tow Planes that have ever joined the session since the host started the session.

Those Clients that want to remove the Tow Plane can either BUY FSUIPC, or use Traffic Tools to remove any Ghost Tow Planes on runways.

------------------------

I know of no mechanism in FSX MP, that would allow the HOST to remove an AI play from a Client ( apart from a real MP client's User Plane ). To do so would need the server to make a simconnect connection to the client etc etc etc -- not going to happen.

So it would be up to each client to deal with any Ghost Tow planes that got generated AFTER they joined the session.

----------------------------

A theoretical alternative, would be for the Host to FILTER out packets that it sends to clients about the Tow Plane, or possibly inject a "Tow Plane with ID N, has left the session" type packet.
However, without any MP SDK, and that sort of packet info, that is probably not the direction that anyone wants to spend time pursuing.

------------------------------

As someone who runs a 24/7 Multiplayer session, that often runs for many days before resetting, I can see a useful benefit from putting the DELETE AI FSUIPC on my FSX Server.

As a FSX pilot, I would find a FSUIP that could be told to delete AI Tow Planes, when I wanted them deleted, to be convenient, but I would not want FSUIPC to stop me Tow Launching a Glider, IF I wanted to do so. So some way, to turn ON/OFF the delete function, while in the session would be ideal.
Otherwise, if the Tow Planes really bothered me, I would use TrafficTools, or just re-join the session.

Geoff_D

Country
us-washington
Why allow any AI into the server at all? Even if they are within a 1/2 mile of the users aircraft, does everybody in the session need to see them?

Why not just zap them all, the second they are created?
Bud

Well Bud, there are some reasons to have AI in multi player. We have done this at times so zapping anything that moves automatically might be a bit harsh. Although it should be an option, deleting manually should be as well. We use AI in some of our live events. For example I plan on doing this in a search for Claus (Paul) next month. I need a target of the search to move around some. AI Piper. Hard to explain and I do not want to give it away in case the guys are reading this. <grin>

Another example - At times I create a flight of DC-3 (6 of them) and have them all land at our base. The radio is alive with chatter about "Heads up guys, Supply train arriving. Stay off the runway, these guys do not speak Alaskan". Gets a chuckle every time as the ships all land one right after another for 15 minutes. This is for entertainment reasons. Our sessions are full of humor and laughs. And the AI is a prop for that at times.

So having a system that zaps them right out might not be as good has having the option. I would vote to have an auto setting, as well as the ability to remove them manually from a list. I am looking into all of this.

Thanks all.. Have a great day!

Last edited:
Country
us-washington
Hello again everyone,

I have a question. I am very new to all of this and learning. Forgive me for my lack of understanding. I thought perhaps someone may know the answer.

If everyone flying in the session is running a client, can those clients receive a signal from a server that would do an action? I realize the client would need to be an app written to accommodate such functions. I am interested in be able to issue failures and such. Perhaps send text message to the screen, etc. Additionally, is there a way to remotely change the server time/day/weather without having to restart it? Perhaps a new thread, Server Tool Development is in order?

I am deeply studying all of this including your package Pete and will soon be upgrading it as I have been using it in the client mode for some functions.

Take care all. And thank you!

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
As a FSX pilot, I would find a FSUIP that could be told to delete AI Tow Planes, when I wanted them deleted, to be convenient, but I would not want FSUIPC to stop me Tow Launching a Glider, IF I wanted to do so. So some way, to turn ON/OFF the delete function, while in the session would be ideal.

Okay. Download 4.405:

[EDIT: Superseded by 4.406, see later message]

This initially defaults with the AutoDeleteAI option switched off. There's an assignable FSUIPC control added:

AutodeleteAI toggle

which toggles it on when off and off when on.

You can instead have it defaulting ON (for a Server, perhaps) by making the first callsign in the AutoDeleteAI= .... list simply ON. So, for example, for the tow plane:

AutoDeleteAI=ON,EC-527

Note that there's no corresponding "OFF" option here. Off is the default setting. For the user the previous line used is fine:

AutoDeleteAI=EC-527

Regards
Pete

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates

Pete

Works Great :)

Now, the only remaining problem is the typical "TOGGLE" status problem. Is it currently toggled ON or OFF ?

Rather than a Toggle, could I suggest seperate "AIdelete ON", and "AIdelete OFF".

Then a user could define those to either seperate keys, and know what state they were in,

or

even define them to the same Key .. PRESS = AIdelete ON, RELEASE= AIdelete OFF. Then to delete AI, they just Press & release that defined Key.

"Then it will be perfect :) "

Geoff_D

Country
unitedkingdom
Rather than a Toggle, could I suggest seperate "AIdelete ON", and "AIdelete OFF".

Okay. Download 4.406:

http://fsuipc.simflight.com/beta/FSUIPC4406.zip

[4.405 is withdrawn]

As before, this initially defaults with the AutoDeleteAI option switched off. There are now three assignable FSUIPC controls:

AutodeleteAI off
AutodeleteAI on
AutodeleteAI toggle

So you can do what you like with assignments to buttons or keys.

As said before, you can have it defaulting ON (for a Server, perhaps) by making the first callsign in the AutoDeleteAI= .... list simply ON. So, for example, for the tow plane:

AutoDeleteAI=ON,EC-527

Note that there's no corresponding "OFF" option here. Off is the default setting. For the user PC the previous line used is fine:

AutoDeleteAI=EC-527

Regards
Pete

Country
unitedstates
Okay. Download 4.406:

http://fsuipc.simflight.com/beta/FSUIPC4406.zip

[4.405 is withdrawn]

As before, this initially defaults with the AutoDeleteAI option switched off. There are now three assignable FSUIPC controls:

AutodeleteAI off
AutodeleteAI on
AutodeleteAI toggle

So you can do what you like with assignments to buttons or keys.

As said before, you can have it defaulting ON (for a Server, perhaps) by making the first callsign in the AutoDeleteAI= .... list simply ON. So, for example, for the tow plane:

AutoDeleteAI=ON,EC-527

Note that there's no corresponding "OFF" option here. Off is the default setting. For the user PC the previous line used is fine:

AutoDeleteAI=EC-527

Regards
Pete

MAGIC !! Works great.....

When you define a Key to both turn ON the autodelete, and then turn it off when you release the key, you have to hold down that defined key for a good 2 seconds ( not a quick Jab), but then it does the business, and ZAP .. deletes all the tow planes.

VERY NICE .. looks like a keeper :)

Thanks Pete

Country
us-washington
Update: AI Traffic in Multiplayer

I know this thread is old but I found some interesting information on AI/Ghost aircraft in multi player and think it could be of use.

While playing around with a camera mod (cameras attached to aircraft other than ones own) I discovered something. It seems, some abandoned (player gets dropped/lagged whatever) aircraft park themselves at Lon 0, Lat 0, Alt 0. Seems some ghost tow planes wind up in a pile here as well. And I mean a pile.

After running a session for 18 days, I checked this location to verify this. Sure enough, there were 31 aircraft all piled up at that location, with only 3 players logged on the server. Traffic toolkit showed 34 aircraft in the total, but did not list any. I used Traffic explorer on a client machine so perhaps having it on the server would show these and allow their manual deletion. While I was at it, I tried the control tower list and radar. As we know it has a 200nm limit and therefore did not show these aircraft. But they are there, verified visually.

Pete, would be hard to add a little check that will remove any ships within .01 of that location? Doing this on the server would really be helpful. It is causing serious lag issues as you can imagine. Would be a grand addition for many of the folks who run session/servers.

Take care all, hope this helps.

Last edited: