• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

AIFP won't read aircraft

Country
australia
Wow is me yet another 'chapter' in my never ending saga to get workable flight plans.
Today when attempting to run AIFP (which never gets past this error) I get the following error (obviously something wrong with FS2020 aircraft but no idea what has caused it).
aifp error.jpg

I feel like throwing FS2020 in the bin.

Country
australia
BTW for all readers Microsoft have sneaked in a new version of the Windows Store (for Windows 10/11). The three dots (...) which used to be at top right corner is now bottom left. As there are no other user selectable icons many users may wonder what happened to it.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
The second paragraph told you the problem. Windows is not allowing AIFP to access that location. Haven't a clue why, but there's nothing AIFP can do about it.

Country
australia
Yes it IS 'Windoze' not AIFP as it happened 'out of the blue'. I am wondering if I accidentally changed the permissions and/or protection on something in FS2020 when I edited the aircraft.cfg file. I might try to uninstall FS2020, format the drive (D: ) and reinstall.
BUT I tried doing a RESET of FS2020 (as per what I read on the internet) and when finished I noticed that my D: drive only had just over 1Gb data on it (well RESET did warn that data would be lost). What happened to FS2020? Must have been removed? The ison was still on the desktop so I double clicked it to see what would happen. Surprisingly FS2020 started as normal, then I saw flashed on the screen ' synching data' and then a screen appeared which had UPDATE (110Gb) so it is now downloading 110Gb and hopefully that will reset everything to work with AIFP.

Last edited:
Country
australia
Hi Don and anyone else reading this

FYI

After I did a 'reset' of FS2020 most of the installation got deleted but I was able to start FS2020 and then at "checking for updates" it allowed me to download (I am assuming) most of the regular installation (around 110Gb).
After the download I am now able to (which I had earlier problems with)-

run AIFP
COPY files FROM the FS2020 folders. It gives a warning that the file is encrypted (not sure if that happens with everyone) but allows the copy.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
John, were not making much progress here. It seems fairly certain you have some underlying Windows-configuration issues that are affecting MSFS and other what-would-normally-be-routine-operations. Until you address those issues, in light of the lack of participation in this thread by others, there's probably not much point in daily updates.

Country
australia
I did say that I can now run AIFP AND COPY FROM. I do not have issues with any app I run. I also get that warning (about files being encrypted) when COPY FROM on my other PC as well which I installed W10 on from the installation DVD. Also I find it strange that NO one will 'share' an AI flight plan they know works with me to try. Can't be anything to do with copyright surely?

Last edited:
Country
australia
I became aware of the Alpha India Group a few days ago and today I managed to download the AI Manager after trying repeatedly for days and it always stopped half way through the download even using different browsers and I have a fast 50-53 Mbps internet connection.
I will now investigate this and AI Traffic Controller (no problem downloading this).
Not sure though if this is a panacea to getting user AI flight plans to actually work? I hope so.
Something new to learn with the help on Youtube videos which I have found.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Not sure though if this is a panacea to getting user AI flight plans to actually work? I hope so.
Something new to learn with the help on Youtube videos which I have found.
The linked article is intended to inform that which we may be unsure of.

"Online AI spawned by the Sim at the gate will have no nosewheel and will not depart from the gate. It will just sit there, and the airport will get more crowded."

"Offline AI
You will see airplanes spawn enroute and then turning back to the departure airport. Observations are showing that the airplane spawned in the correct location but gets as next waypoint the last active waypoint and not the next. This is not happening inn 100% of the cases and we at AIG are not able to pinpoint it. In 90% of the cases the airplane will fly to the last waypoint and then return to the route."

Ultimately, the AI system is dysfunctional. Any work applied to the dysfunctional system, may work only with the dysfunctional system and not apply to whatever replaces it.

Country
australia
Ultimately, the AI system is dysfunctional. Any work applied to the dysfunctional system, may work only with the dysfunctional system and not apply to whatever replaces it.
Thanks for the warnings.
Do I assume correctly that despite tools which create correct AI flight plans the FS2020 AI 'engine' is 'only firing on 2 cylinders' or "the lights are flashing but there's no train coming" in other words you may not get your AI flight plans to do what you expect?

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
John, that is correct! Currently, the software does not allow user custom flight plans. I have had no problems whatsoever getting the program to inject ai traffic into the sim for me with the exception being as mentioned by Rick. Any user custom flight plans will have to be BGL based and at the moment, I have net been able to get my to work fully yet.
Gelomare

Country
australia
Thanks Gelomare.
I have had no problems whatsoever getting the program to inject ai traffic into the sim for me
Do you mean using the Alpha India apps (which I understand injects ai traffic) or do they still need to be BGLS based flights? Maybe I will put my 'wants' on the back burner.

Country
unitedstates
John, The AIG Software does indeed inject the AI into the sim. What i was referencing is that if you wanted to do user-created flight plans using AIFP. Thise would have to be BGL-based. My not being able to get my BGL-Based flight plans to work is not i believed caused by AIFP but rather the sim itself. Maybe this will all be resolved when we get SDK directions about AI traffic.
Gelomare