• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Aileron trim limits

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Country
northernireland
In the SDK section for the aircraft.cfg file there is mention of an elevator_trim_limit parameter but no mention of a rudder_trim_limit or an aileron_trim_limit parameter. Having learned a long time ago not to trust the SDK docs, do these exist? The B-314 has an aileron trim limit of 12.5 degrees but the sim insists on giving KEY_AILERON_TRIM_LEFT/RIGHT/SET a maximum angle of ten degrees. I would have thought you should be able to set this in the .cfg file?

rcbarend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi again :) , in this thread ....
As far as I know, the max. angles of the AileronTrim and Rudder-Trim are fixed values (in FSX).
That is: not changeable in the aircraft.cfg, and (maybe somebody knows for sure ?? ) not in the .air file too.

But you can highly change the influence of AileronTrim and RudderTrim on the flightmodel with
aileron_trim_effectiveness =
rudder_trim_effectiveness =
in the aircraft.cfg.

And that works perfect.

Cheers, Rob

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Country
northernireland
Thanks again Rob. So... a bit of mathematical kludgery is required to make the trim indicators appear to be in the 'correct' places.... :D

rcbarend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Thanks again Rob. So... a bit of mathematical kludgery is required to make the trim indicators appear to be in the 'correct' places.... :D
Correct....
So if you know the real-life figures for max. AileronTrim and RudderTrim deflections, it would be best to re-work the value scale of (A:AILERON TRIM PCT,percent) and (A:RUDDER TRIM PCT,percent) from -100 to +100, to resp. -12.5 to +12.5 degrees and -?? to +?? degrees, for these trim indicator gauges.

Country
canada
There is "rudder_trim_limit = 0 ; Rudder trim max deflection angle (absolute value) (DEGREES)"

No idea if it actually works.

Country
us-ohio
There is "rudder_trim_limit = 0 ; Rudder trim max deflection angle (absolute value) (DEGREES)"

And you obtained that info from where? One of the SDKs? If so, which?

rcbarend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands

Well, I do ... It doesn't work.
That is: tested in FSX-Accel.
I can't test it in any P3D version myself, but I highly doubt if it would work in P3D.

In FSX-Accel, I added
rudder_trim_limit = 30
in the [airplane_geometry] section of a few aircraft.cfg files.
But the result of reading (A:RUDDER TRIM,degrees) always results in a value between -10 and +10 max.
For whatever value of rudder_trim_limit = ...

And, as I expected, the same goes for adding aileron_trim_limit = ... to the aircraft.cfg: (A:AILERON TRIM,degrees) is always between -10 and + 10.
Hence my conclusion in post#2: it's fixed, and cannot be configured.

Again, I tested this in FSX-Accel, but I would be highly surprised if this feature is actually implemented differently in P3D.
Would be curious to know in which document you read "rudder_trim_limit = 0 ; Rudder trim max deflection angle (absolute value) (DEGREES)"
But even if you did, I'm still betting it won;t work in P3D.
Untill proven otherwise, of course ....:)

Rob

Country
portugal
In Hervé's document there's only reference to the elevator trim limit and it reads:

"Positive value, maximum pitch trim deflection. Up and down limits are
equal, different limits can be set via FSUIPC offsets."

Maybe FSUIPC could be used too in that case ?

rcbarend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
In Hervé's document there's only reference to the elevator trim limit and it reads:

"Positive value, maximum pitch trim deflection. Up and down limits are
equal, different limits can be set via FSUIPC offsets."

Maybe FSUIPC could be used too in that case ?
I don't think so.
FSUIPC uses SimConnect as interface, and it simply doesn't work in the core sim (unlike for pitch trim).

Country
canada
And you obtained that info from where? One of the SDKs? If so, which?

By looking through the executable with a decompiler. There are quite a few things that don't appear in any flight model or SDK but I haven't tried most of them.