• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Aircraft carrier runway lights

Hello, my name is Enzo and I'm from Italy. I'm relatively new in scenery design, but in the last month i did a lot to improve my skills.
I modeled a Nimitz class aircraft carrier in Gmax and exported it to FS2004, it's all working except for the runway lights. I've created, using Airport for Windows, an invisible runway and placed it over the landing pad of the carrier, but the lights do not show up during the nigh. It seems that, regardless the correct altitude, the runway is covered by the bridge.
I tried to move the runway few feet up with the only result that the default Cessna now floats over the deck and the runway lights are still covered by the carrier bridge.
I sincerely do not know what to do, can any of you guys help me to solve this problem?

Best Regards

Enzo

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
This may not be the answer, and I am sure someone will come up with another idea.

However, how about placing effects where you want the lights? Use the attachtool.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Enzo,

I think the approach of Nick is indeed better. As your carrier is a 3D object it is almost impossible to get a runway display on it. These are designed to be displayed on the ground and 3D objects have a higher priority. So mixing them is very hard.

So adding the lights you want using the attachtool (effects) or maybe the LIGHT_NAV option looks like a better approach to me.

Thanks for your reply Nick.
I've already tried to use the attach tool to create the runway lightning, it works, but there's another problem...the lights show up perfectly over the runway but they dont go off during the day.
Maybe I'm using the wrong effect (fx_navwhi)... :(

Hi Arno, sorry I didn't see your post :p
Yes, I think you are both right, the only way to show up the runway lights is to insert an effect inside Gmax. Now I have to find out how to show up the lights only at night :rolleyes:
Thanks again for your help ;)

after you have created your attachment point for your FX files in Gmax, you can add this to the code section, the part in red is the code that shows only at Dusk, Dawn and Night but lights are Off in the Day !

this example was added to an Oilrig platform made in FSDS but you can see the code for the Day Night etc !

<!-- Deck Light -->
<SceneryObject lat="-38.5724428318428" lon="147.322872888886" alt="22.1"
altitudeIsAgl="TRUE" pitch="0.00" bank="0.00" heading="0.00"
imageComplexity="SPARSE">
<BiasXYZ
biasX="3.0"
biasY="0.1"
biasZ="8.0"/>
<Effect effectName="fx_deckwhi.fx"
effectParams="NIGHT=1;DAY=0;"/>
</SceneryObject>
<!-- Deck Light -->
<SceneryObject lat="-38.5724428318428" lon="147.322872888886" alt="22.1"
altitudeIsAgl="TRUE" pitch="0.00" bank="0.00" heading="0.00"
imageComplexity="SPARSE">
<BiasXYZ
biasX="3.0"
biasY="0.1"
biasZ="8.0"/>
<Effect effectName="fx_deckwhi.fx"
effectParams="DAWN=1;DUSK=1;"/>
</SceneryObject>

You need to create the same FX twice as the Parameter has to be in pairs !

rgds Jeff