Aircraft that is "hidden"

Hello. I was wondering where or if how an aircraft can NOT be seen in spot plane view? The reason is that in spot plane view, and with the view being from the tail, and "roll" selected, the horizon does not change angle. This is what I want, however I do not want to see the aircraft (any aircraft). And the reason is I'm working on a full motion flight sim. So in the full motion mode, the scenery's angle doesn't move, the full motion aircraft moves. Any ideas how not to see the spot plane itself? Thanks.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Sure, create an invisible external model. The VC model will be used in the cockpit views.

Sure, create an invisible external model. The VC model will be used in the cockpit views.
That could work very nicely, especially if you create another "version" of aircraft in aircraft.cfg, [fltsim.n] section and call it "full motion version" or something...

But if you have no aircraft creation skills or tools, you could (and I haven't tested this) also create a spot/chase plane camera with Track set to none, InitialXyz in front of the plane, InitialPbh looking straight forward, AllowPbhAdjust and XyzAdjust set to FALSE, and a few other assorted tweaks as needed. You can add this camera to global camera.cfg so that it is available to all aircraft.

Hello. Thank you for the replies. To tgibson. 1) I wouldn't know the first thing about creating a model (*.mdl) for an aircraft. Perhaps it's time to learn. Where does one get the information on that? 2) I don't understand: The VC model will be used in the cockpit views. If VC is used, that won't help because normal cockpit view and VC view are the same in that the scenery rotates - I can't use that. Again, thank you though. To Misho, you are correct, I do not have the skills or tools to create an aircraft. Also, It seems that your assistance involves FSX. I have FSX but primarily I use FS2004 (FS9) - for so... many reasons. Thank you for the idea. In another computer (test), a long time ago, I inadvertently added an aircraft meant for FS2002 but the aircraft (visual) does not show up. So I copied that aircraft to my main FS computer but then that aircraft does show up. The test computer is an XP 64 bit where as the main FS is XP 32 bit. I don't know the difference in graphics as the both have a NVIDIA GeForce 720. I say main because it's the computer that has all the paid add-ons, of which some are not available to transfer. When it crashes, I'm basically done with my FS's paidware (is that a word?).

While on the subject of XP Home edition. I use the old freeware Wideview 2000. Yes, it works for FS2004 too. However, it needs an IPX. There is an ipxwrapper on the Internet. It however, requires XP Professional. I do not have the upgrade CD but have the installation CD. However, I don't want a fresh install. Lo and Behold, there is a relatively simple technique (a few examples on youtube.com) that "converts" Home to Professional. And thus I have my other views available. Just thought it could be useful information.

tgibson

Resource contributor
You asked for a plane not visible in spot view, and thus I assumed visible in cockpit views. So I was just saying if you had an invisible external model the aircraft would still be visible in cockpit views because that uses the VC model. This is trickier in FS2004 since the models are combined together, as opposed to FSX where they are separate models and thus easier to manipulate. If you are not using any cockpit view (as it may appear above?) then this is not a problem.

There is at least one other question, though. Do you need landing or taxi light splashes on the ground?

tgibson

Resource contributor
BTW, an invisible aircraft is already available for FS2004. It's in a package called Traffic View Board, which lets you fly along with an AI aircraft with your plane completely invisible. Perhaps that would be useful?

Hope this helps,

Hello tgibson. You asked for a plane not visible in spot view, and thus I assumed visible in cockpit views. No, I really don't need to see it at all. As I mentioned in the test computer, the FS2002 aircraft is either hidden or some way, not able to display. I thought copying this aircraft to my main computer would work - it did not. Do you need landing or taxi light splashes on the ground? I apologize, I do not know what this means. What I see in the spot plane mode is just fine - except for the aircraft.
BTW, an invisible aircraft is already available for FS2004. It's in a package called Traffic View Board, which lets you fly along with an AI aircraft with your plane completely invisible. 1) Is it a requirement to follow the AI aircraft? 2) I download TVB from flyawaysimulation.com, thank you. It's true! I cannot see the aircraft, which is what I wanted. But I hate to admit, I don't know how to fly it. A) It acts like a helicopter, I think it's suppose to be a Cessna 172. B) The axes are off, seems like 90°... The aircraft is indeed hidden :) ----- LOL. I forget, the scenery doesn't bank!!! It works. My question is how can a Cessna 172 keep up with a Boeing 747, or any turbine ai aircraft? The reason I ask this is, I primarily fly Boeing's and Airbus' two engine aircraft on the simulator. The hidden aircraft needs to be able to "work" under those parameters of jet aircraft. Again, thank you for your time and information - at least I do have a hidden aircraft :). Okay after some testing. I renamed the model to model.invisible and modified Cessna 340's aircraft.cfg to reflect the model and I could fly at a faster rate and did not notice any difference in performance. The good news is the bank does exactly what I need. However, the pitch does what is should do but not what I need for a full motion. I need the visual pitch of the scenery to match the aircraft's pitch as I'm pitching the "cockpit." This however can be useful in a networked FS as a "synthetic vision gauge." I will look at the availability of FS's controls and FSUIPC's offsets to see how I can regulate the view pitch in spot plane mode. Again, thanks tgibson.

Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Glad to help. You should be able to substitute an aircraft.cfg file and an AIR file to get it flying like any aircraft you like.