• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Airport elevation for new mesh question.

Country
wales
I guess this is a common problem: you download a new mesh for an area where the default FSX mesh is relatively featureless and you end up with an airport below the new terrain - i.e. sunk in a trench, like this:

SKCL_With_New_Mesh.jpg

So, I tried to raise the airport with ADE - changing the elevation and got this:

SKCL_With_New_Mesh_Elevation_Adjusted-1.jpg

Obviously, I have missed an important step! Just changing the airport elevation isn't enough, so how should I proceed, please? I've read the ADE Manual - it's really good, but there are areas where only experience can resolve the problem. If you could point me in the right direction, I'd be really grateful.

Sorry if this is rather basic - but I'm new to the airport design area of FSX, as you can tell...

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Seems you might just want to draw a "flatten" rectangle here Dai! :D

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
You need to exclude the stock airport background poly and make a new one at the correct height for the airport as you made it.

Country
wales
Many thanks for your replies.

I searched on "exclude the stock airport background poly", and found this Tutorial post by Jim Vine, here.

I'll follow it through and post progress...

Thanks again!

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom

I searched on "exclude the stock airport background poly", and found this Tutorial post by Jim Vine, here.

Thanks again!

That should help I think :)

PS - it is Jim Vile ;)

Thanks again!

Make sure you set the Flatten Mask Class Map ExcludeAutogen airport altitude when adding that step.

Country
wales
First off, a Big Thank You to Jim for the excellent Tutorial - this has saved me no amount of time - it's much appreciated!

O.K. - taking it step by step, as per the Tutorial:

Step 1: view SKCL from above, showing stock airport in trench:

SKCL_Top-down_Stock_Airport_In_New_Mesh.jpg

Step 2: add an exclude - Jim says this doesn't have to cover the whole airport, so a small polygon should do:

JVine_Tut_Step_2_Exclude_General.jpg

Step 3: add a simple Mask Class Map for the background of the airport, beyond the fence, in this case. Here, I set the revised elevation of 3175 ft both for the background and the airport itself:

JVile_Tut_Step_3_Mask_Class_Map_Elev_Adjust.jpg

Step 4: review the result, after compiling and adding the new bgl's to FSX's Add-On Scenery - here's the topdown view, at altitude:

SKCL_Tod-down_High_Viewpoint.jpg

Lookin' Good! But when you go lower, the terrain starts to bleed through in places:

SKCL_Top-down_Low_Viewpoint_Terrain_Bleed_Through.jpg

This 'bleed through' doesn't affect the aircraft on the runway, though, as you can see:

SKCL_Plane_Wheels_In_Terrain_Bleed_Through.jpg

So, not a bad result for a first attempt, I guess - now to find out how to reduce the terrain bleed through. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Country
wales
Did some more homework - found another thread on terrain bleed through which suggests using a Flatten to prevent this from occuring - so, made a Flatten in between Steps 2 and 3, above:

JVile_Tut_Step_2_Half_Flatten.jpg

Compiled and installed to get this:

SKCL_Top-down_Low_Viewpoint_No_Terrain_Bleed_Through_With_Flatten.jpg

No terrain bleed through - Result!

Hope this helps others with similar problem, but Thanks again to Jim for his Tutorial and to Jon and Bill for putting me on the right track - appreciated!

Dai

Glad you got it working.

Step 3: add a simple Mask Class Map for the background of the airport,

Step 3 should be add a Flatten Mask Class Map Exclude autogen. That may have avoided you adding a seperate flatten.

Last edited: