• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Airport Essen-Muelheim (EDLE) released

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Hello!

I am currently in the process of creating Essen-Mülheim Airport for the MFS. So far I haven't even gotten around to daring to do the scenery design for the MFS, because I just flew and had a lot of fun doing it. But now duty calls and after gaining experience for the MFS SDK (Dortmunder U from the Dortmund project), things are moving forward :)

After it became more and more clear how to bring the PBR textures from the P3D v5 Universe into the MFS Universe, so that they then also show the PBR effect, it was very quick to bring more MFS glTF models into the MFS ...

mfs_flughafen_edle_hangar_blimp_1.jpg

mfs_flughafen_edle_hangar_blimp_8.jpg

mfs_flughafen_edle_hangar_blimp_5.jpg

mfs_flughafen_edle_hangar_blimp_7.jpg

What works very well in the new MFS SDK:
- Export of the 3-D models as original MFS glTF models
- Revised and reassigned PBR textures
- Exclude the MFS default buildings
- Flatten the airport area with terraforming

Later, animated 3-D models will also be brought into the MFS:
- Animated people
- Animated ground vehicles
- Sightseeing flight of the WDL-Blimp
etc

Of course, dynamic objects should not be missing either:
- Dynamic Windsocks
- Dynamic Wind Turbines
- Dynamic wind direction indicators
- Dynamic Landing-T

There is still a lot to learn and use. Let's do it :)

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Other things work very well in the MFS!

- Glass material
- Night Textures
- Plants

Here in the example the result with glass material and and night textures ...

mfs_bahrometrix_edle_emissive_texture.jpg

mfs_bahrometrix_edle_glas_materiam_aplhabelendingre.jpg

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
It continues with the current Essen/Muelheim project for the MFS :)

Day by day, the understanding of how to use the tools of the SDK to get good results is increasing and so the ground layout could now also be given the new properties of the MFS ...

mfs_bahrometrix_flughafen_edle_8.jpg

The experimentation with glass material is also bearing its first fruits ...

mfs_bahrometrix_flughafen_edle_6.jpg

mfs_bahrometrix_flughafen_edle_7.jpg

The glass panes on the visitor terrace reflect the surroundings

mfs_bahrometrix_flughafen_edle_20.jpg

mfs_bahrometrix_flughafen_edle_17.jpg

In the event of rain or snowfall, puddles gradually form - the layout is therefore dynamic

So much for the almost finished topic "Placement of Objects". It continues with the subtleties and the lighting system of the airport (taxi lights, runway lights, etc.) :)

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Thank you George! :)

Now the taxiways and parking positions are finally starting, the parking spots are set and the paths have also been drawn ...

Screenshot (257).jpg

I would like to create my own AI traffic tailored for this region. The SDK provides the menu item Generate Traffic for this, but it is probably still inoperable!?

The dynamic lighting is taking shape, but it has not yet reached the end of the flagpole ...

Screenshot (252).jpg

Country
france
Beautiful works, I love it !

One question, Christian: I would create an object library as in FSX, do you find the method?

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Beautiful works, I love it !

One question, Christian: I would create an object library as in FSX, do you find the method?
Hi Didier!

An FSX Lib as you mean it, I don't know how to do it. The MFS lib is generated by the SDK, it is composed of all glTF and bin files that are in the sub-folders of PackageSource:

mfs_sdk_lib.jpg

Country
france
OK Christian, I understand.
In this case your "library" is include in your scenery XXX and cannot be use by an another product ? right or I forget other things ?

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
You mean whether you can read out the guid or whether you can extract 3-D models from the lib? To be honest, I don't know. Maybe you can do that with textures that are partially not protected.

mfs_lib.jpg

This is the location of the 3-D models and the textures that are in a Lib. Including the folder Texture, which contains the textures for the 3-D Models.

And here the folder with the files for exclusions, polygons, and the positions of the 3-D models from the Lib ...

mfs_positionen_exclude_polygone.jpg

Last edited:
Country
france
Thanks, It was a bit like what I saw as a possibility.
But the system before didn't work too bad, but why did they want to change it ? Why make it simple when you can make it complicated? (French proverb)

Country
fiji
Amazing work.
Do you reload the whole sim to for changes?? (textures, etc).
How did you managed to get such amazing Glass Textures??
What about taxiway textures? are they custom made? or just default?

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Hi.

At the moment, as far as I know, the Sim has to be restarted every time the texture is changed.

The glass front on the tarrasse is standard glass material of the MFS SDK:

mfs_glass_material.jpg

The airport ground layout was made in-house, the textures are also made in-house. No default!

I noticed that the ground layout is shown in the cockpit displays:

Screenshot (261).jpg

Last edited:
Country
greece
It looks really VERY beautiful!
I was wondering how you added dynamic lighting to the apron and if you have managed to add custom runway and taxi lights.
Once again thank you for all the info you provide!

-=Manwlo=-

mgr

Country
netherlands
Hi Christian,

At the moment, as far as I know, the Sim has to be restarted every time the texture is changed.

With aircraft, the textures are reloaded if you select a different livery via de dev-mode. So if you go back to forth to your repaint you can see the difference you made.

Maybe it also works with scenery, so quick spaw to another airport (maybe in Austrialia) and go back again to your airport?

Regards,

Marcel

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Ah, thanks for the tip, I'll try it out later and report it here!
That would be great if you could reload the textures like this :)

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
The "Bahrometrix Living People" developed by me have now been exported as original MFS glTF models:

But how to get them into the MFS is another matter, I have yet to find out ;-)

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Maybe it also works with scenery, so quick spaw to another airport (maybe in Austrialia) and go back again to your airport?
No, unfortunately that didn't help. But it works with Build Package. This means that textures are loaded dynamically and you don't have to restart the MFS.

There has been good progress on the subject of animated people, because I have managed to get them into the MFS ...

And I had to work on the airport signs again at short notice. Because of incorrect texturing, the numbers and letters could no longer be seen really well at night. The error was recognized and corrected and now the signage looks like this with the correct texturing ...

mfs_bahrometrix_flughafen_edle_beschilderung.jpg

With the subject of "Animated People" and the associated textures, I also tried something new. In and of itself there is hardly anything that shines in an animated person. Except here, however, are the skin, eyes and lips ...

mfs_character_modelll_pbr_texture.jpg

Country
fiji
Really nice Christian!!.

Are you using FS polys for your taxi/runways layout? Or are you doing it in Blender with planes/vertices?

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Hi Tangerine!

This is the same layout as seen in the P3D version. The ground layout was drawn in 3dsm (line tool), not with Blender.