Airport Ground Navigation - The search for eternal peace

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
HI Guys - Just thought Id drop this one in as its closing 2018. Like many I've searched for the everlasting answer to add a gauge similar to those we now see in RW that can be used to navigate to and from the gate/stands and to runways around airports.

There are 2 such pieces of work out there (amid many Im sure) - APCHARTS - (Freeware) and DBS Studio (Payware) that I've managed to find thus far.

I've used DBS in conjunction with RW charts and its not bad - I've attempted, due to many positive reviews APCHARTS also.

APCHARTS - there are loads of, "its not loading, working, updating the database and graphics not showing" moans across many forums - Having tested it for a full two weeks I have to admit defeat based on the same issues.

DBS - Used that for the same test periods - Does basically what it says on the tin. - gets you to a gate/stand of choice and back to the active you select - So, it's a "so far so good; until you then go online with one of the networks and look out, irate tower and ground controllers - Because of the way it reports a simple ground based graphic with arrows for directional guiding which is in effect similar to road vehicle GPS. It feeds from the airport BLG files almost the same as ADE in effect.

Anyone know of any other reliable systems that could provide this type of system (pay or freeware) Or is /has anyone considered looking at building something like?

Hi...

Not sure if this suits your needs - if you happen to live in and fly in North America - there’s a great FREE tablet EFB app called “Fltplan GO”... It’s a real world EFB for Win/Apple/Android tablets that works with P3D/FSX/XP - that’s the only FREE source of georeferenced approach plates and taxi diagrams I have ever seen... Makes it a snap to navigate between terminal and runway - not to mention making IFR approaches in IMC child's play... Been using it for years...

In use:

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
OOOWWW that looks nice. The fact that its RW based might be an issue unless the system calls on the airport files on the computer/device your using for sim flight. I did look at something similar but it gave data from real world charts which as we all know in flight simulation is often a lifetime out of sync. However, its definitely worth a "send a email to" to gather more info . Many thanks

OOOWWW that looks nice. The fact that its RW based might be an issue unless the system calls on the airport files on the computer/device your using for sim flight. I did look at something similar but it gave data from real world charts which as we all know in flight simulation is often a lifetime out of sync. However, its definitely worth a "send a email to" to gather more info . Many thanks
Hi...

One other option is Alex’s “Little NavMap” if you have a laptop or second machine handy (otherwise you need to toggle between apps) - it has a full moving map feature - it reads the actual scenery database file from your FS setup - and if you zoom in close enough - shows the equivalent of a taxi diagram - for every airport loaded... Since it’s reading your actual scenery there will never be a mismatch... It works globally as well...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk