• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Airport Name on Parking Ramp

Country
us-texas
I am working with the latest ADE and Ground Polys. Lots there I didn't realize was available. I have placed parking "T's" on the ramp and would also like to add the airport name. This doesn't appear to be addressed in the help files. There is a texture with letters on it, but I'm unclear as to how that can be used to produce the airport name.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Have a look at the ADE-GP User Manual. You should find what you need there.

Don

Country
us-texas
I found the On-Line Help and a section that refers to Ground Poly's but as I mentioned in my post, I've been through that and what I want to achieve (placing the airport name on the ramp surface) is not addressed. If there is a specific Users Manual for Ground Poly's I would like to know where I find that.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
It is not addressed specifically, because it is not a Flightsim function. If you want to place the airport name on the apron, you must create a ground poly and a texture to go along with it. The ADE-GP Ussr Manual is found in the ADE\Manuals folder.

Don

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
ADE folder/Manuals/ADE-GP - User Manual.pdf

If it's not there you need to download the manuals package.

Basically, what you would do is create a separate polygon for each letter, and texture each rectangle with the proper letter.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Basically, what you would do is create a separate polygon for each letter, and texture each rectangle with the proper letter.
or a single rectangular poly and a create a new, high-resolution texture containing the full airport name.

The latter approach is likely to yield better results since the individual letters are quite low resolution and, therefore, likely to be "fuzzy" close up.

Don

Country
us-texas
or a single rectangular poly and a create a new, high-resolution texture containing the full airport name.
The latter approach is likely to yield better results since the individual letters are quite low resolution and, therefore, likely to be "fuzzy" close up.
Don
Don that's an excellent idea. I tried another option which was to produce the name in Sketchup and then convert to a scenery object. . .it looks too sterile though, not weathered as it actually is. Your idea should yield a much better end result. Thanks.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

I agree that a single custom bitmap will give better results. Since the OP didn't seem to be familiar with ground polygons I thought that a simpler technique for his first project might be a nice stepping stone to the real deal.

Country
us-texas
Hi,
I agree that a single custom bitmap will give better results. Since the OP didn't seem to be familiar with ground polygons I thought that a simpler technique for his first project might be a nice stepping stone to the real deal.
True Tom, I am not at all familiar with ground poly's although I know that would add a great deal of realism to the work I'm doing. I've never been able to grasp the full concept of how they are done and since I only use sketchup, I've yet to find anything that give a clear enough picture of how it's done, or even if it can be done in Sketchup. I realize that at the very least GMAX is where I should be, but I've never even been able to complete one of the tutorials so I have no desire to learn that program or any other high end 3D program. Sketchup is perfect for what I do.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
It can be done in Sketchup, although it would be up to you to do the work to add the result to the ADE-GP tool:

Placed.JPG

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=SketchUp_Ground_Polygons

Country
newzealand
Can also be done in ADE without using any tools if you want an easy way, this took me 2 mins
i did the same at RJBB i wrote "KANSAI" on the grass

Attachments

• RJCC.jpg
    RJCC.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 283
Country
newzealand
No Problem Dave,
Use a closed taxiway, Surface "ICE" this one was done "3m" width, so you can size it how you like, making sure you have no edge line or lights, unless you want to do it that way
you can either join them for round ends or drag a node over the top of the other, if the pic helps you understand better
can even be added to concrete to still show up, but not quite the same as Asphalt or grass for a better visual effect
you may be more tidier than my effort :)

Attachments

• airport name.JPG
    airport name.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 291
Country
newzealand
I did the same in my version of KBOS where i put "TAXI" twice on a taxiway next to runway 4L/22R in Sand to give it pale yellow as per the real world
been doing this for years :)

Attachments

• KBOS.jpg
    KBOS.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 259

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom