• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

ADE Airport orientation changes

Tonight I flew into my first airport that has had magnetic changes applied, and updated Jepp plates compared to my actual field. LTBA now has Rwy's that have rotated by about 10* hence a change from RWY 6 to RWY 5.
Should I rotate the whole airport or just rename the runways? Does rotation affect the approaches also?

Any help appreciated,

Cheers

Andrew

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Well no don't rotate the airport. If you think about it an airport in the real world is fixed to the ground and stays there. If the magvar changes then the airport may rename runways but physical (true) headings don't change - just magnetic ones

Thanks Jon

I thought that was the case but not sure...
So LTBA has mag var +5* real,
LTBA REAL.jpg

but in the sim LTBA shows -3.3*
LTBA ADE.jpg

, so this has confused me even more.
Should I just re-label the runways and leave it at that??

Andrew

Andrew,
Mag Var has come up before and if i remember changing it has no effect,
Just change the runway numbers (Starts change automatically) then you need to go into "Approach Mode" then Lists/Approaches and then,
change each approach runway heading including the "Approach CF" where needed.................not forgetting to change the runway taxisigns also
if you get any red lines then the approach has not been corrected, check by going back to lists/Approaches and check the approach again......

Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
And Magnetic Declination has the opposite sign (+/-) of Magnetic Variation, so that makes sense. And yes, just relabel the runways if you wish, but keep in mind they will still be at their original headings. The only way to change that is to download an updated magdec.BGL file (in your FS/Scenery/BASE/scenery), which is what FS uses to determine MagVar around the world (as stated above the airport magvar does nothing).