• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Airport Parking Utilization Analyser

Angelus1971

Resource contributor
Country
scotland
I've got my own utility to transfer FS9 AI traffic to FSX and I then use Traffic Database Builder to compile the flightplans.

When I use your AIFP2 tool on both the original FS9 data and the FSX data, I get a lot more AI flying legs, which I'm really happy with.

Can you explain how your tool manages to supply more AI than the M$ tool when using the same data please?

And for a little request if I may. When using the TDB, I can log all the errors like "Not enough Spaces At An Airport" etc. I use this data to know what airport AFCAD's need to be enhanced and updated etc. Can we have log options in AIFP2 which would give us this info and some of the other TDB log options which we're used too.

Thanks

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Can you explain how your tool manages to supply more AI than the M$ tool when using the same data please?
AIFP includes in the final traffic file every leg in the source data. TDB applies filters e.g., if a leg does not specify sufficient altitude, TDB drops it. Does AIFP put in any legs that are not in the source data?

When using the TDB, I can log all the errors like "Not enough Spaces At An Airport" etc. I use this data to know what airport AFCAD's need to be enhanced and updated etc. Can we have log options in AIFP2 which would give us this info and some of the other TDB log options which we're used too.
I've never used TDB for any practical work. In fact, it's shortcomings are the reason I wrote AIFP in the first place.

Re logging a la TDB, AIFP gives you the opportunity to print most error messages, saving you from sorting through a bunch of messages in a log that may be of no interest. In the several years AIFP has been around, no one (until now) has requested error message logging. So I have to wonder just how useful it really would be in AIFP. (I did receive several requests for printing error messages though.)

Re other features of TDB, AIFP is a much more powerful tool than TDB. Perhaps since you're new to AIFP, you haven't yet discovered all its features - some of which may do what you used to with TDB but in a different way or under a different name. That being said, if you would tell me exactly what you want AIFP to do (I have no intention of emulating TDB), I will consider adding some or all of that functionality.

Don

Angelus1971

Resource contributor
Country
scotland
The messages I'm looking for would be the log of airports which have no space for the a/c. TDB tells you if there are not enough spaces, I then try and look for updated FSX afcads so that I can get better landing slots etc

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
As I said earlier, I don't use TDBB and haven't for a long while. But, a quick review of its documentation doesn't suggest it does quite what you seem to be asking for.

But that's neither here nor there. The ability to analyse a given airport with regard to adequate parking for one or simultaneous use of two or more traffic files does seem like a useful feature. But, it requires intimate knowledge of how FS assigns parking - for FS9 its straightforward, for FSX less-so (I understand there's a random factor). If anyone has details on the FSX parking assignment algorithm, please pass them along.

I'll give the feature some thought, but I'm not hopeful it can be done other than a simplistic since, since doing otherwise relies on knowing the exact start-up time of the sim and probably other factors.

Don

Angelus1971

Resource contributor
Country
scotland
TDB creates a log file of all the errors it encounters during compilation and at the start of the file it tells you if there are enough spaces at the airport for each particular aircraft.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
TDB creates a log file of all the errors it encounters during compilation and at the start of the file it tells you if there are enough spaces at the airport for each particular aircraft.
Yes. But most people have more than one traffic file active at any one time. So, telling you about one file in isolation (presumbly, TDBB tells you only about the file you happen to be working on) may not identify problems that would exist if you started the sim. And, it certainly dosn't take into account startup time which, if varied by only a few minutes can have a significant impact on parking utilization.

When you asked for
the log of airports which have no space for the a/c
, I assumed that's what you wanted, i.e., where will there be problems on your system when you run a selected set of traffic files or, if you wish, all the traffic files enabled in your Scenery Library.

Give me some time to think about it. If it can be done at all (reliably), it's going to be complex.

Don

Angelus1971

Resource contributor
Country
scotland
You've just given me an idea.

Since my tool converts FS9 flight plans to FSX ones, what would the outcome of combining all the FSX flight plans together firstly Before running the combined file through TDB be???

Must try this. I do have many traffic files like most people. I'm wondering if that affects the sim in any way as opposed to just having the one big file like the default.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
You could certainly do that using AIFP's Merge function and keep trying to compile in TDBB until TDBB will do so error free. But, won't TDBB try to change departure times to enforce a minimum 45 minute turnaround? And, I recall, it will change altitudes when its (very coarse) elevation database thinks you are trying to fly through mountains.

Actually, a consolidated file may be slightly more efficient in FSX since there are fewer files to manage. But, If you ever want to edit, you're faced with editing a "monster file" - which AIFP can do, but things take longer.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
The more I think about it the better the idea of AIFP incorporating an analyser of airports parking utilization based on a user-selected set of traffic file sounds.

I'll start serious work tomorrow and should quickly discover whether or not my idea is feasible.

Don