• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Airport Traffic

Country
denmark
hi,
is it possible to differentiate airports so that we can add specific ground traffic to different airports.. So eventually we can have e.g. Singapore airlines ground traffic with specific models for Changi airport, for example the pushback truck will look like a model from singapore if someone deigns and can then designate it to singapore only!

Another thing is can we add Air stairs for Ramp or cargo parking??? and also those special trucks for cargo aircraft or large aircraft with cargo e.g. 747 pax and 747 freight.

I want im asking which i know is for the 3 time :) is it possible to use maybe a program like FSX planner to do the same we do with AI aircraft do ground traffic?

Regards
Philip

It seems that a lof of the ideas you have would required new paint schemes for the various trucks, etc. Possibly you might even need entirely new 3d models. I have seen some add-on airports using stairs at ramp parking positions, such as Bristol Xtreme, and I think that must all be developed by the airport developer.

Interesting ideas, we'll have to think about them.

-Russell

Country
denmark
thanks for your reply, i honestly think if this feature could be added alot more simmers would move from FS9 to FSX. of course it all depends on whether if it is possible to do with FSX planner or if it can only be done by a scenery designer for a specific airport which would be a shame. I am more than happy to develop and supply models for testing if you wish to prusure this?

I think it would be amazing if FSX would look something like this

my only concern would be air stairs as they would need to raise or lower for different aircraft sizes? or could i apply a specific model for an area or AI aircraft? or should it be done through animation? (my problem is im no coder :confused: )

anyhows tell me what you think and im more than happy to give an extra hand if you need it

Country
us-arkansas
Jon Murchison built some great AI aircraft with catering trucks which lifted up to the right side forward door, baggage unloaders, etc.

They were part of the model file of the aircraft.

Right now with FSX you are talking about many different things which are not a coordinated whole.

There are many different vehicle models in FSX (SimObjects\GroundVehicles)

But the current way FSX works - the Living World vehicles assigned to the parking spot properties are not changable.

But while FSX doesn't have a lot of customization right now - the way to go in the future is laid out pretty clearly. Just that it will probably be FS11 before all your features can be implemented by the sim.

Many can be done by modeling - but not all.

Country
denmark
hi,
there must be a way in which to at least replaced the models? are you sure the sdk's won't allow for some tweaking so that we can make this a part of FSX.

So every parking spot gets Ramp or gate vehicles, for examaple

We select a Medium size gate parking spot for WSSS and then airport vehicles go with that selection. The next thing is if that is possible is to then specify the models to use with that gate or ramp or cargo ramp so that different airports can get different livery airport vehicles.

any ideas??? i honestly think this would be a great development to go with FSX planner. the thing is we lack resources to make all the worlds airports and as much as we would all love flytampa airports for every airport in the world there is simply not enough time between the next FS. So the idea is to get as much detail in with a tool like FSX planner which is easy to use and distribute
so that there can be lots of people working on sceneries to complete, Gateways, Parking spots, and even maybe

-Ground Airport Vehicles
-Detailed ground layout at Gates e.g. ground markings
-Spot Lights (really needed for ramps!)

Another thing i wish upon is how we can fix those ugly default airport ground textures... there must also be a way in which we can define areas so that taxiways make a better transition into the grass. I know im speaking out about alot stuff but its just ideas... im starting a 3D graphics designer course next with simple to medium coding.

The more we can edit with a program like FSX planner without the need of 6 or more programs to edit one airport will help us really create more airports with greater detail.

Just ideas
Philip Jensen

hi,
there must be a way in which to at least replaced the models? are you sure the sdk's won't allow for some tweaking so that we can make this a part of FSX.

So every parking spot gets Ramp or gate vehicles, for examaple

We select a Medium size gate parking spot for WSSS and then airport vehicles go with that selection. The next thing is if that is possible is to then specify the models to use with that gate or ramp or cargo ramp so that different airports can get different livery airport vehicles.

any ideas??? i honestly think this would be a great development to go with FSX planner. the thing is we lack resources to make all the worlds airports and as much as we would all love flytampa airports for every airport in the world there is simply not enough time between the next FS. So the idea is to get as much detail in with a tool like FSX planner which is easy to use and distribute
so that there can be lots of people working on sceneries to complete, Gateways, Parking spots, and even maybe

-Ground Airport Vehicles
-Detailed ground layout at Gates e.g. ground markings
-Spot Lights (really needed for ramps!)

Another thing i wish upon is how we can fix those ugly default airport ground textures... there must also be a way in which we can define areas so that taxiways make a better transition into the grass. I know im speaking out about alot stuff but its just ideas... im starting a 3D graphics designer course next with simple to medium coding.

The more we can edit with a program like FSX planner without the need of 6 or more programs to edit one airport will help us really create more airports with greater detail.

Just ideas
Philip Jensen

I agree with your thoughts here. I would like FSX Planner to go in that direction, so that you need only one application to create everything for an airport. If it's possible or practical or not is another matter. But discussion on it is very good and I think we should see where this goes.

-Russell

Country
us-arkansas
All GATE spots get:

A pushback tug ( you need 8.5M clearance between the edge of the spot and any buildings, etc)

A baggage cart

A baggage loader

All CARGO spots get:

A pushback tug (same 8.5M clearance)

A FUEL parking spot gets:

A fuel truck

All other spots get no vehicles.

There is a rather lengthy discussion on this forum somewhere - I'm not sure even which catagory - by Jim Vile and someone from Aces/ Microsoft about why only the set vehicles can be generated and why they cannot be excluded.

Bottom line - the functionality to change and exclude vehicles is not built into this version of Flight Simulator.

You can locate the models being used and replace them with other models - you just have to make sure the new model uses the same GUID and titles and the existing model.

Airports are extremely complex structures in FS - and interact with the program on many levels. One tool - I seriously doubt we'll ever see that. But a set of tools we can use together with common interfaces - that might be possible. Right now we need FSXKML or SBuilderX to work with the ground and backgrounds.

Ground textures can be replaced by different textures - just takes an artist to make them.

These are great ideas, but many are pushing past the capability in this version of FS.

But keep bringing them up - be sure to submit feedback to Microsoft through the FSInsider page. Make Microsoft aware of how important these needs are to folks.

Last edited:
The set vehicles that materialize for the GATE and CARGO type parking spots are part of the parking spot code. They cannot be removed/modified as per MS at this time.

The animated type vehicles that visit each parking spot are a random call when FSX starts. How many animated vehicles will show up at a airport is a percentage based on GATE and CARGO parking spots coded for the Airport.

A Airport that has no GATE/CARGO parking spots will have no animated vehicles traveling from parking spot to parking spot. This does not pertain to a Fuel Truck.

The animated vehicle type (USA/Europe type) is controlled by the Region that the airport nest in. As Reggie points out this can be changed or other type vehicles added in the XML Region Living World file.

Country
denmark
The set vehicles that materialize for the GATE and CARGO type parking spots are part of the parking spot code. They cannot be removed/modified as per MS at this time.

The animated type vehicles that visit each parking spot are a random call when FSX starts. How many animated vehicles will show up at a airport is a percentage based on GATE and CARGO parking spots coded for the Airport.

A Airport that has no GATE/CARGO parking spots will have no animated vehicles traveling from parking spot to parking spot. This does not pertain to a Fuel Truck.

The animated vehicle type (USA/Europe type) is controlled by the Region that the airport nest in. As Reggie points out this can be changed or other type vehicles added in the XML Region Living World file.

interesting the last part there is there a possibility that it can be narrowed down to country?? Or a small area radius? This is good for the moment if we can define areas then we can maybe add different models and paints for that area and i know it will have to be the limited vehicles e.g. Push back truck ??
Any ideas? views?

Country
venezuela

A Airport that has no GATE/CARGO parking spots will have no animated vehicles traveling from parking spot to parking spot. This does not pertain to a Fuel Truck..........

Some testing I did for SVMI (in FSX). This airport had by default only one fuel vehicle parking. When a flight is started at that airport, that truck "has the responsibility"to dispatch all flights. If there are several scheduled at the beginning (i.e 4:30 pm in SVMI) they have to wait until the truck may attend them sequentially. The truck visit the aircraft parkings going to one first, then goes to another and so on. At a peak time it can take a lot of time getting several departing aircraft on the road.

However, I found two things:

1- If you remove all vehicle parking spots from the airport, the airplanes will start pushback at precisely the time they are scheduled to depart, "by themselves".

2- However, If you add more parkings to the airport (I added three more), located in strategic spots around the airport, the work load is distributed between the different trucks that start up the flight parked at those parking spots.

In fact every gate and ramp for commercial flights in SVMI has underground manifolds to fill up airliners tanks. For that they need a sort of pumping vehicle between the ground nozzle and the aircraft, which is not a fuel tank as it appears in FSX.

With the newest FSXPlanner build 20 I think it will be possible to implement those parkings with fuel built in.

Jorge

Country
us-texas
Hi all,

I've just started trying to add parking, cargo spots, etc with FSX Planner, and I have read many of the threads about fuel trucks and so I added 2 Vehicle parking spots to HEGN, separated on each main apron. I connected them with regular taxiway paths at first.

The problem is the fuel trucks disappear as soon as they start to go to an a/c to fuel it in preflight. The a/c apparently "gets" fuel and departs without a problem, but the fuel truck is nowhere in sight.

So I tried changing the taxiway path to the Vehicle spot to Vehicle type, and then I get an error during error checking that says "Taxiway without a Taxiway point", "The end taxiway point 95 does not exist". But according to the screen that is the end point and it wasn't changed.

Can anyone tell what am I missing here?

Thanks,
Denny

Hi all,

I've just started trying to add parking, cargo spots, etc with FSX Planner, and I have read many of the threads about fuel trucks and so I added 2 Vehicle parking spots to HEGN, separated on each main apron. I connected them with regular taxiway paths at first.

The problem is the fuel trucks disappear as soon as they start to go to an a/c to fuel it in preflight. The a/c apparently "gets" fuel and departs without a problem, but the fuel truck is nowhere in sight.

So I tried changing the taxiway path to the Vehicle spot to Vehicle type, and then I get an error during error checking that says "Taxiway without a Taxiway point", "The end taxiway point 95 does not exist". But according to the screen that is the end point and it wasn't changed.

Can anyone tell what am I missing here?

Thanks,
Denny

Can you post the xml for the airport?

-Russell

Country
us-pennsylvania
Its more of a general query but can things like the pushback tugs be just placed as scenery? Unless I somehow excluded them, MIL_CARGO (or MIL_COMBAT for that matter) doesn't get pushback tugs. Which is fine. But there are tugs lurking around military bases and I'd like to shove a few of them in for cosmetic reasons.

Also, firetrucks don't need parking spaces do they? They have to be manually placed as static scenery, correct?

radivil

Pushback tugs including all airport related ground type vehicles can be used as static. Actually all the animated is nothing more then moving statics.

The following code is for a static blue pushback tug.

<SceneryObject
lat="32.1253822852959"
lon="-81.196204675643"
alt="0.00"
pitch="0.00"
bank="0.00"
heading="192.28"
altitudeIsAgl="TRUE"
imageComplexity="SPARSE">
<LibraryObject name="{82A2760F-2871-4933-85C5-7B8125189EDF}"
scale="1.00"/>
</SceneryObject>

FS9/FSX has 3 different type pushback tugs but you only see 2 types (blue and grey) at airports. There is also a mule using the following GUID

veh_air_mule
{C545A2A2-E2EC-11D2-9C84-00105A0CE62A}

This is one of 5 different type Fire Trucks (USA Red)

<SceneryObject
lat="32.1316094935927"
lon="-81.196823928846"
alt="0.00"
pitch="0.00"
bank="0.00"
heading="314.30"
altitudeIsAgl="TRUE"
imageComplexity="SPARSE">
<LibraryObject name="{DBF53C30-D46C-43B6-B0EF-388C4AC9AF79}"
scale="1.00"/>

Use the XML code as a templet. Change the LAT/LON/Heading to fit your airport. I use the C172 in slew mode and TcalX for placing statics correctly.

Once you have the code finished you can place it in your FSXP XML and compile. HOWEVER, be sure the lines of code sit above the airport header but under any exclusion retangles.

If you start adding alot of GUID scenery such as more airport static vehicles/aircraft, buildings, windsocks, etc then it might be better to make a single bgl with the airport ICAO code and GUID as a reference.

example
VHHX_GUI_jv.bgl

When I did KSAV and uploaded to AVSIM I have 12 static MIL Figther Jets, DC3's, Navy helicoptors and a B52 sitting on the airport ramps which are made as static and in the FSX scenery global librarys. That means you don't need any textures. Just add the proper GUID's, place the bgl correctly and start FSX. Some of my early FSX airports has the Scenery GUID's in the airport xml but now I am making a single seperate bgl for all scenery.